{news} agenda 4/26/05 SCC meeting,part 1 of 2

edubrule edubrule at sbcglobal.net
Wed Apr 20 00:59:03 EDT 2005

Agenda--April 26, 2005 SCC meeting

Time:  7-9pm

Location:  Wesleyan University, Middletown CT, Fisk Hall Room 302

Directions:  Take Rt. 9 to Exit 15 onto Rt. 66 West (Washington Street). Proceed uphill on Rt. 66 (Washington Street) for about 1/2 mile to the 4th traffic light and turn left onto High St.  Fisk Hall is located at 262 High Street, 2 blocks down on the left at the 2nd traffic light (corner of High & College Streets).

     Parking: From High Street turn left onto College Street and turn left again into the parking lot located in back of the Fisk Hall. No parking permit is needed.

     Go to www.wesleyan.edu for a campus map.  On the homepage click on "About Wesleyan", then click on "campus map".

Facilitator:  David Eliscu

Note to chapter reps:  to make SCC meetings as productive as possible, please make every effort to come prepared to vote on each issue in the agenda.  Members of the Executive Committee are willing to answer questions about agenda items, or the committees, chapters, or groups of 5-or-more Greens that proposed agenda items can be contacted.

A. PRELIMINARIES

1. (2 minutes) Introductions/identify chapter reps, recruit stacker and timekeeper

2. (1 minute)   Identify people present who are NOT voting reps (information needed by secretary)

3. (1 minute)   Adopt groundrules (last page of this agenda)

4. (2 minutes) Approval of tonight's proposed agenda/additions and deletions

5. (2 minutes) Comments/approval of March SCC minutes

6. (5 minutes)  Treasurer's report

7. (10 minutes) Guest slot:  5 minutes will be allocated for parting remarks of any member of the old Executive Committee who wishes to speak.  Then 5 minutes will be allocated for the new Executive Committee.

B. OLD BUSINESS AND PROPOSALS

1. (10 minutes)  Proposal on funding of office (Appendix 1)

2. (15 minutes)  Proposal on creation of a "Chapter Balance" Fund (Appendix 2)

3. (5 minutes) Select replacement on Process Committee for Rachel Goodkind, who has moved from Connecticut

--must be female

4. (10 minutes) Proposal on Executive Committee endorsement of events (Appendix 3)

5. (10 minutes) Proposal on modified consensus process and facilitators (Appendix 4)

C. REPORTS

1. Chapter reports (1 minute each)

2. (10 minutes) Internal Elections Committee

3. (5 minutes)  2004-5 Executive Committee

4. (5 minutes) Report from US Green Party representatives

5. (2 minutes) Legislative report (Mike)

6. (2 minutes) VOTER (Mike)

D.  ANNOUNCEMENTS

Appendix 1  Proposal on funding of office

 CTGP Proposal Form

April 5, 2005

PRESENTER:  Hamden Chapter, Northwest Chapter, Shoreline chapter, and Women's Caucus

CONTACT:  Kelly McCarthy; 83 Treadwell St, Hamden, CT 06517; 203-230-9726; kelly.mccarthy at aya.yale.edu

SUBJECT:  CTGP funding of office space in Hartford

BACKGROUND AND PURPOSE:  The CTGP has gone through the last fiscal year without an approved budget. The voting body of the SCC have been denied their right to vote on and shape how our operational funds have been and continue to be distributed. Most importantly, and specifically, the degree to which we continue funding the office space in Hartford, which currently accounts for approximately 90% of all yearly cash expenditures (see Office Committee Report), must be addressed. This one activity determines what the CTGP can or can't afford to do, representing a disproportionate distribution of our funding.

PROPOSAL:

If we continue funding the office space in Hartford (and its related expenses) at the current rate, we leave ourselves without cash funding for any other endeavors (supporting local candidates, merchandizing, holding events, doing regular mailings, etc.).  We suggest that this is the single most important issue we will vote on this year, and the issue should be considered accordingly.

Therefore, we propose that the SCC cease the funding of the office space in Hartford immediately, upon a favorable vote of this proposal, which includes all costs associated with rent, utilities, taxes and office liability insurance.

Appendix 2  Proposal on creation of a "Chapter Balance" Fund

CTGP Proposal Form

April 5, 2005

PRESENTER:  Hamden Chapter

CONTACT:  Kelly McCarthy; 83 Treadwell St, Hamden, CT 06517; 203-230-9726; kelly.mccarthy at aya.yale.edu

SUBJECT:  Creation of a "Chapter Balance" Fund

BACKGROUND AND PURPOSE:  The CTGP has allowed itself to accrue a great deal of debt by spending monies owed to its Chapters for operational expenses.  By not separating our operational funds and chapter balances, we now find ourselves in a situation contrary to the Ten Key Values and our own CTGP by-laws.

PROPOSAL:  We propose that the SCC instruct the Treasurer to maintain a Chapter Balance Fund for the CTGP sufficient to cover all monies owed to individual Chapters, and governed by the following:

1) Monies designated to this fund will be used solely as the depository for the 30% share of donations received by the CTGP owed to individual Chapters from this time forward;

2) No general operational expenses will be paid out of this fund, and requests to the Treasurer from Chapters for any portion of their balance (from donations received after the fund's inception) will only be paid from these monies;

3)  No Chapter will be "loaned" money from this fund. Withdrawals will only be honored up to the limit of the individual Chapter's balance;

4) Balances currently owed to all Chapters will be paid out of the current operating budget, as requested to the Treasurer, until individual Chapters reach a zero balance via withdrawal requests or by donating their remaining balance to the CTGP operating fund;

5) Any existing negative Chapter balance must be remedied before said Chapter's subsequent 30% share of donations are credited to this fund. Until a negative balance is resolved, any and all credits for said Chapters will be applied to the existing negative balance.

6) The Treasurer will provide a balance report for this fund at each SCC meeting.