{news} Fw: 042405NHREGISTER-Pillsbury seeking seat in 19th Ward

Charlie Pillsbury chapillsbury at igc.org
Wed Apr 27 00:01:10 EDT 2005

Message

            04/24/2005
            Pillsbury seeking seat in 19th Ward maybe
            Andy Bromage , Register Staff

            NEW HAVEN — Pledging to fight for clean air and clean elections, Green Party co-chairman Charles Pillsbury Friday announced his candidacy for 19th Ward alderman.
            However, Pillsbury said he will only run if incumbent Alderwoman Alfreda Edwards, a Democrat, opts not to seek re-election. Pillsbury lost a bid to unseat Edwards in 2003.

            Edwards, a three-term alderwoman, could not be reached, though city Democratic chairwoman Susan Voigt confirmed that Edwards is undecided.

            Pillsbury, 57, of 247 Saint Ronan St., said his decision was based on private conversations with Edwards, in which she hinted about vacating her seat.

            "Alfreda is well-liked in the ward," Pillsbury said. "That’s why I wasn’t going to challenge her again. But I have been very clear that when the seat opens up, I plan to run."

            Pillsbury is executive director of Community Mediation, Inc. and co-chairman of the New Haven Green Party, the largest chapter of Greens in the state.

            He ran his first campaign in 2002, challenging U.S. Rep. Rosa L. DeLauro, D-3, for her congressional seat.

            Pillsbury took 5 percent of the vote to DeLauro’s 66 percent. City GOP chairman Ricther Elser took 29 percent.

            Pillsbury’s campaign platform is focused on municipal campaign-finance reform and clean-air initiatives, he said.

            "As someone who acquired asthma as a resident of this city, that issue is close to my heart," he said. "Air quality is a major issue for all of us, especially for our kids."

            Ward 19 represents residents in Prospect Hill and the easternmost portion of Newhallville.

            "The 19th Ward is ready for a Green," said Pillsbury, who timed his announcement to coincide with Earth Day, April 22.

            As in 2003, Pillsbury said he will keep campaign expenses below $1,000.

            Whatever Edwards’ choice, the 19th Ward race is likely to be hotly contested. Elser said he expects a Republican to run, raising the prospect of a three-way race. Pillsbury is married to the Rev. Allie Perry and has four children from a previous marriage: Leah, 22; Susie, 21; Lydia, 19; and Andrew, 19.

            Andy Bromage can be reached at abromage at nhregister.com or 789-5714.

      ©New Haven Register 2005