{news} Clean Cars for Clean Elections!

David Bedell dbedellgreen at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 28 13:53:31 EDT 2005

CAR WASH
SATURDAY, APRIL 30th
10am-12pm
(Rain or Shine)

While we've been working to boot Tom DeLay and clean up the halls of
Congress, our friends at the Clean Up Connecticut Campaign (a coalition of
50 organizations led by the Connecticut Citizen Action Group and Connecticut
Common Cause) are working to clean up the state capitol.  Please join them
on Saturday, April 30th for "Clean Cars for Clean Elections" car washes in
14 separate locations around the state .  We're inviting you to bring your
car to be washed for just $3, the same low price for which citizens of
Connecticut can buy back their government.

http://www.cleanupconnecticut.com/carwash  (Click here to find a car wash
near you!)

Former Gov. John Rowland is in jail, but the mess he left behind in state
government still needs to be cleaned up.  The same pay-to-play mentality
still reigns supreme in the State Capitol, and unless state leaders clean up
the problem of money in politics, the state is sure to see another scandal.

It's time for an overhaul of this system.  Legislation (HB 6670 and SB 61)
that would provide public financing for qualified state candidates is
working its way through the Legislature.  Citizens around the state are
reaching out to their neighbors. As one "vehicle" for reaching out to the
people, the Clean Up Connecticut Campaign is holding 14 car washes in key
legislative districts around the state.  Find the one near you to let your
legislator know that you want Clean Elections in Connecticut!

Pledge to bring your car and if you can spare an hour or two we're also
looking for volunteers to wash cars, hold signs, hand out fliers to those
getting their cars washed, sign up potential volunteers on petitions, etc.

The carwashes are scheduled from 10:00 in the morning until noontime. You
can find out the carwash nearest you and volunteer at
http://www.cleanupconnecticut.com/carwash

Let's show those people in Hartford what 'clean' really means!