{news} Burton thanks Blumenthal for Millstone goat talk

David Bedell dbedellgreen at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 8 18:17:03 EST 2005

----Original Message Follows----
From: NancyBurtonEsq at aol.com
To: attorney.general at po.state.ct.us
CC: justin.kronholm at po.state.ct.us,
joseph.rubin at po.state.ct.us,robert.snook at po.state.ct.us,
kimberly.massicotte at po.state.ct.us,NancyBurtonEsq at aol.com
Subject: Thank you
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 12:34:24 EST

CONNECTICUT COALITION AGAINST  MILLSTONE
http://www.mothballmillstone.org
December  8, 2005

Dear Mr. Blumenthal:

      On behalf of the Connecticut  Coalition Against Millstone, may I
extend
a sincere expression of gratitude to  you and your staff for meeting with us
in your offices yesterday to share  information about the high levels of
strontium-90 found consistently in goat  milk sampled by Millstone Nuclear
Power
Station agents at 120 Dayton Road in  Waterford between the years 1988 and
2004.

      This information presents clear  evidence of a public health emergency
existing at 120 Dayton Road - and, surely,  nearby locations as well. Nearby
locations included homes with young children  and the Cohanzie Elementary
School
at 48 Dayton Road.

      The public health consequences of the  strontium-90 contamination -
accompanied by cesium-137 and other deadly  radioactive contaminants - are
dire.

      The community surrounding Millstone  is suffering from avoidable
incidences of cancer and related diseases which are  directly associated
with
Millstone’s routine and “accidental” releases to the  air and water. For
children in
our community to die because of exposures in  utero or in early childhood to
toxic radiation emissions from a nuclear  power plant which has been
permitted
to operate for years recklessly and  illegally is unconscionable.  The
Millstone Nuclear Power Station is, in  our view, a criminal enterprise that
must be
stopped.

      We appeal to you to exercise your  statutory authority to obtain
judicial relief to stop the Millstone operations  as a public nuisance
pursuant to
Connecticut General Statutes Section  3-125, which provides in pertinent
part
as follows:

     "The Attorney General shall have  general supervision over all legal
matters in which the state is an  interested party, except those legal
matters
over which prosecuting  officers have direction. He shall appear for the
state,
the  Governor, the Lieutenant Governor, the Secretary, the Treasurer and the
Comptroller, and for all heads of departments and state boards,
commissioners,
agents, inspectors, committees, auditors, chemists, directors, harbor
masters,  and institutions and for the State Librarian in all suits and
other civil
proceedings, except upon criminal recognizances and bail bonds, in which the
state is a party or is interested, or in which the official acts and doings
of
  said officers are called in question, and for all members of the state
House
of  Representatives and the state Senate in all suits and other civil
proceedings  brought against them involving their official acts and doings
in the
discharge  of their duties as legislators, in any court or other tribunal,
as the
duties of  his office require; and all such suits shall be conducted by him
or under his  direction. "[Emphasis added.]

      Under this statute, you, as the  holder of an elective political
office,
clearly are authorized to act for “the  state” as a plaintiff. We will be
contacting Governor Rell and Commissioner  Galvin to serve as prospective
additional named plaintiffs.

      If you will take this necessary  action, you will go a long way to
make
amends for numerous mistakes of the past  which we believe are directly
responsible for unnecessary and avoidable human  pain, suffering and death
in our
community.

      These include, to name a  few:
(1) Your official silence during the “public  auction” of Millstone in
proceedings before the Department of Public Utility  Control, probably the
biggest
fraud ever perpetuated in  Connecticut;
(2) Your official silence during the  recent Millstone relicensing
proceedings;
(3) Your  successful ad seriatim motions to quash the subpoenas we issued
for
  former DEP Commissioner Arthur J. Rocque, Jr. to appear to be questioned
why
he  issued “emergency authorizations” for Millstone pollution otherwise
prohibited  by a Clean Water Act permit, despite his written acknowledgment
that
he had no  legal authority to do so;
(4) Your successful  efforts to quash a subpoena we issued to ex-Governor
John G. Rowland to appear  to be questioned about whether he or his office
“fixed”
  the recent Dominion  application for dry cask storage which enabled
Millstone Unit 2 to keep  operating and to keep discharging poisons to the
air and
water;
(5) Your partnering with Northeast Utilities  to defeat the claims of
Millstone whistleblower Clarence O. Reynolds under the  state’s Nuclear
Whistleblower
Act;
(6) Your official  silence during a comment period before the NRC relieved
Dominion’s corporate  parent from its obligation as a surety in Millstone
decommissioning;
(7) Your decision to not  participate in New York Attorney General Eliot
Spitzer's first lawsuit against  Dominion to upgrade its
global-warming-giant
power plant in West Virginia, Mt.  Storm.

      These acts, and others, are not  easily forgiven or forgotten.

      You and your staff are now fully on  notice of the public health
emergency at 120 Dayton Road in  Waterford.

      We are prepared to assist you and  your staff in any way possible to
shut down the state's most notorious menace,  Millstone.

Sincerely,
Nancy Burton
Please respond to:
Nancy  Burton