{news} Blumenthal Meets With Anti-nuke Coalition

David Bedell dbedellgreen at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 8 18:19:40 EST 2005

http://www.theday.com/eng/web/news/re.aspx?re=5DFABBF6-A061-46DE-A54D-D12A3F12544F

Blumenthal Meets With Anti-nuke Coalition
AG says he must consult with  DEP before taking action

By PATRICIA DADDONA
Day Staff Writer, Waterford
Published on 12/8/2005

Attorney General Richard Blumenthal and his staff met Wednesday with an
anti-nuclear group about the group's concerns that Millstone Power Station
is the source of high levels of radioactivity in Waterford.

Last month, Gov. M. Jodi Rell asked the state Department of Environmental
Protection to analyze data obtained by the Connecticut Coalition Against
Millstone which the group believes confirms unhealthy levels of the
radioactive isotope Strontium 90 at 120 Dayton Road. The reactor's owners
have routinely tested goat's milk at the former farm there.

Nancy Burton, the coalition leader, said she discussed legal strategies and
a high incidence of cancer in the community with Blumenthal Wednesday, and
asked him to sue Dominion Resources, the Millstone owner.

Blumenthal would not comment on the substance of the private meeting and
said he took no action, but has referred some material to the state
Department of Public Health and DEP. DEP's analysis is not finished yet, a
spokesman said.

“They presented some very informative data, views, opinions and insights
about Millstone and potential contamination from Strontium 90,” Blumenthal
said. “We cannot commit to a lawsuit without discussion of the issues with
DEP. We will make a decision when we have all the facts, including more
information from this group.”

Pete Hyde, spokesman for Dominion, said the company had no comment.

© The Day Publishing Co., 2005