{news} DeStefano & Malloy on marriage equality

David Bedell dbedellgreen at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 12 20:03:14 EST 2005

Here's one less issue we need to fight them about!

David

--- In CTLavenderGreens at yahoogroups.com, "Ron" <bear02909 at y...> wrote:

On Sunday, December 4, Democratic Gubernatorial candidates John
DeStefano and Dan Malloy appeared on the public affairs
television show, Face the State, and made public statements in
support of marriage equality for same-sex couples.

This important development in the campaign for the governor's office
is a watershed moment for our movement.  With both Democratic
candidates supporting marriage equality, they have effectively made it
a non-issue in their primary race.  We anticipate their strong
stand on the issue to transcend party lines and have more far-reaching
effects within the legislature.

Please take one moment to thank both candidates for their strong
leadership.  ALSO, please forward this email to your friends and
family!
http://www.lmfct.org/site/R?i=UuFombIf2zuDVixwkbT1Cg..

Here is a transcript of their interview on Face the State:

Question:
Would you be in favor of legalizing gay marriage?

DeStefano:
Yes, absolutely.  Because in Connecticut our laws convey legal
rights that are not otherwise available unless you are married.
And it seems to me that you shouldn't deny rights to our citizens
based on their gender, sexual preference, race, or anything else.

Malloy:
I said this long ago, that we need to treat all of our citizens
equally and fairly... First step, civil unions.  Ultimately
allowing people to express themselves through marriage, if and when
that passes the legislature.  Let me assure you I will sign that
legislation.  I believe this is a civil rights movement.  I
believe that this state leads the rest of the nation in moving in that
direction...  I have fought side by side with advocates, I will
continue to do that and I look forward to signing this bill.

***This is not an endorsement of a gubernatorial candidate on the part
of Love Makes a Family.

========
Love Makes A Family (LMF) is a statewide coalition of organizations
and individuals working for equal marriage rights for same-sex couples
in Connecticut. We carry out our mission through community education,
grassroots organizing, and legislative advocacy and lobbying.
http://www.lmfct.org

--- End forwarded message ---