{news} (Courant) a Furtive, Last Minute, Back Room Deal (Campaign Finance Reform)

Green Party-CT greenpartyct at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 13 07:51:06 EST 2005

A Furtive, Last-Minute, Backroom Deal

    ADVERTISERS
---------------------------------
  Advertise on ctnow
       -->Andrew W. Roraback

December 13 2005

The campaign finance reform law falls far short of the mark.

The legislation contains a cleverly drafted loophole that will enable special-interest money to flow unimpeded, even to those who avail themselves of public dollars to finance their campaigns. This loophole was added at the last minute by legislative leaders whose power will be greatly enhanced by it.

When Senate Democratic leaders held a news conference Nov. 28 to announce what was described as the strongest campaign finance reforms in the nation, the bill had not even been drafted. But a document handed out at that news conference promised that the bill would allow political parties and legislative leaders to provide "limited in-kind services to participating candidates based upon the Maine and Arizona models."

When I first saw the 120-page reform bill, I found that the "limited in-kind services" provision allowed political action committees controlled by legislative leaders to make unlimited expenditures - of special-interest dollars - to publicly financed candidates. This money can be spent for virtually any purpose, including radio and TV ads, political consultants and mailings. I was deeply disappointed to learn of this loophole - apparently a backroom deal.

To compound the problem, when these expenditures are made for one "clean" candidate, there is no requirement that the opposing "clean" candidate be provided with a like amount to keep the process fair.

Before voting on the bill, I telephoned the directors of both the Maine and Arizona clean-election programs. They said no such leadership PAC loophole existed in their states and for good reason. Such a provision would only protect incumbents and helps legislative leaders build and keep their dynasties - which would fuel cynicism, stifle dissent and erode confidence.

Then there is the lobbyist problem. I have for many years promoted bills to prohibit campaign contributions from lobbyists, corporations and other special interests. All four of us Republicans and eight Democrats on the Campaign Finance Reform Working Group unanimously recommended banning lobbyist contributions immediately. Sadly, legislative leaders rejected this recommendation. Their bill will allow candidates to accept money from lobbyists until Dec. 31, 2006.

So there will be a frenzied chase for special-interest dollars that will not end until two months after the 2006 election.

I have for more than 10 years, as an elected official, been showered with contributions from lobbyists and business and labor organizations - without asking anything of them or from them. Nothing has convinced me more clearly that our system is broken than my receipt of nearly $10,000 from these special interests totally unsolicited. Many of the organizations offering these contributions were groups I had never even heard of. All of the checks have been returned to sender.

Finally, it is ironic that a campaign finance reform bill will make it substantially more difficult for Green Party, Libertarian and other third-party candidates to access public funds readily available to major party candidates. Republicans and Democrats have, with this bill, protected their positions of power.

The integrity of this system should know no compromise. I have already introduced legislation to correct the substantial flaws in this bill. Let's encourage legislative leadership to reconsider the furtive, last-minute backroom changes to the legislation that was supposed to make all in Connecticut proud.

Sen. Andrew W. Roraback, R-Goshen, was a member of the bipartisan Campaign Finance Reform Working Group convened this past summer by the General Assembly at the governor's behest.   Copyright 2005, Hartford Courant

      THE GREEN PARTY OF CONNECTICUT is the third largest political party in CT. The Greens are also the third largest political party in the US, with 220 Greens officeholders in 27 states. Over 80 countries in world have Green Parties. Wangari Maathai, the 2004 winner of the Nobel Peace Prize, is Kenya's assistant minister for environment and an elected Green Party member.