{news} CTGP Executive Committee endorses letter to US senators asking them to refuse certification of the November 2 presidential vote

edubrule edubrule at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 4 00:06:44 EST 2005

Per action of the Executive Committee of the Connecticut Green Party, the Connecticut Green Party has endorsed the
letter to the senators below.  I have notified Eli Beckerman of this decision.
--Ed DuBrule, CTGP secretary
---------------------------------
Below find
--a letter to several senators concerning the November 2004 presidential elections
--an e-mail from Eli Beckerman requesting that the CTGP endorse this letter
--information about Congressman John Conyer's efforts on this matter
    Congress is to consider this matter on January 6.
-----------------------------------
Coalition Against Election Fraud of Massachusetts

c/o Truth in Elections

49 Francesca Ave.,

Somerville, MA 02144

617-625-3166

econhmnrts at aol.com

December 19, 2004

Dear Senators Boxer, Byrd, Dayton, Harkin, Jeffords, Kennedy, Leahy, Levin, Lieberman, Mikulski, Obama, Snow and Schumer:

The ideal of one person, one vote and that everyone's vote is counted has been deeply cherished in the United States of America since the Anti-Slavery Movement, the Women's Suffrage Movement, the Civil Rights Movement and the expansion of voting to young people.  The 2000 and 2004 presidential elections have made it clear that this precious cornerstone of American democracy has been destroyed.

We the undersigned, respectfully request that you take action as a Senator to recognize that the November 2, 2004 presidential election was fraught with voting violations, misconduct of some highly placed election officials, tampering, voter suppression, interference targeted at communities of people of color, students, and low-income people - all of which has raised suspicions in many minds that this was not a free, fair and honest election.

Given the widespread use of electronic voting machines, which are especially liable to malfunction and fraud and leave no trace of how they work nor what data they receive, it is not possible to perform recounts in many states.  Hundreds of stories on malfunctions of electronic voting machines and central tabulation machines are appearing in regional news media.

Papers and sworn testimonies by experts state that the chances of the exit polls giving such  divergent results from the official tallies are almost a statistical impossibility. Nor is it statistically conceivable that practically all the reported malfunctions and errors would give the advantage to the same candidate.  Furthermore, statistical analysis reveals that even the popular vote victory may turn out to be false.

To preserve democracy in the United States of America, we ask that you be open to the concerns of large numbers of Americans.  Almost 57,000 complaints have thus far been filed about this election process.  Recounts are being demanded in several states. In the critical states of Ohio and Florida, hard evidence of improprieties is accumulating daily, almost always in the same direction and substantial enough to be outcome-determinative.

In Ohio, Secretary of State Kenneth Blackwell, who is avowedly partisan as the Co-Chair for the Bush/Cheney campaign, has used his official powers illegally to hinder the recount process in Ohio in many ways.  He has also refused to cooperate with the Democratic Party members of the House of Representatives Judiciary Committee in its hearing headed by Representative Conyers. One example of many equally egregious problems in the Ohio election was a severe shortage of voting machines in precincts of people of color and students at colleges, leading to waits of up to 10 hours for voters to cast their ballot.

We call on you to review the evidence. We are asking you to be our voice.  We think this is crucial for the future of democracy and this country and we hope you will respond to our plea.

We are keenly aware that no Senator was willing to stand with the Representatives of the Congressional Black Caucus in their challenge to the presidential election of 2000.  In 2004 the evidence of fraud is systemic, stronger, more widespread and believed by millions of Americans.  We urge you to be courageous by taking leadership and refusing to certify the results of the presidential election of 2004.  We also urge you to voice open support for any formal objections from the House of Representatives and to sign with them if any House members challenge the 2004 presidential election.

Sheila Parks

Deirdre Doran

Ellen Stone

Dinah Starr

Maureen Carey

Janet Poole

Simone Charpentier

Alice Carter

Diane Lopez

Dotty Gaydosh

Suzanne Belote Shanley

Brayton Shanley

-----------------------------------

e-mail received 12/29/04:
Dear Connecticut Greens,

I am writing to ask whether it is possible for the
Green Party of CT to endorse the attached letter
to US Senators, asking them to refuse certification
of the November 2nd vote. This letter was drafted by
the recently formed Coalition Against Election Fraud
(www.caef.us). We hope to meet with Senator Kennedy
this week, and it would be great if we can take a list
of endorsing groups.

As you are aware, the Green Party and Green Presidential
candidate David Cobb are playing a vital role in the
Ohio recount and other efforts to expose election fraud
and systemic voting violations. If we can get an objection
to the certification of the vote from any state (requiring
a Senator to join House Democrats), then there  will be up to
two hours of debate in both houses on voting violations and
we can finally break the media silence.

Many thanks,
Eli Beckerman
Somerville, MA