{news} Fw: dump Joe, Universal Health Care, and other matters

Charlie Pillsbury chapillsbury at igc.org
Fri Mar 11 10:46:24 EST 2005

courtesy of the Deaniacs.

----- Original Message -----
From: Marjorie Clark
To: d4ct at democracyforct.com
Sent: Friday, March 11, 2005 2:36 AM
Subject: March Planning Meeting

Hello, from the now famous Marjorie Clark.  Yeah, right.

Either way, for those who feel that Joe Lieberman's days should be numbered, the press is having a field day with our cockeyed optimism.  I will only say that the folks who think it will never happen should beware the power of grassroots activism, viral marketing, rapid response and small donations.

For those of you who are wondering what the heck I'm talking about, the "dump Joe movement" (Can I just say how much I hate that title?  Can't we say "challenge Joe?"),  is gathering some momentum, and the NY Times contacted me (of all people) to comment.  Jim Dean has asked for us, as DFA members, to distance ourselves from this effort as a group.  What you do on your own time is up to you, and you didn't get these links from me.  http://www.dumpjoe.com or http://www.timetogojoe.com.

Please visit http://www.democracyforct.com for upcoming actions and events, and if you haven't already, bookmark it, because the content is changing almost daily.  Who'd have thunk there would be so much to do when there wasn't an election?!

There is too much going on in this state to list here - I'd be up until 3am, and that's just not acceptable.  So here are the events (that I know of) for the coming week:

Saturday, March 12, 11 AM
"Let's Get a Dialogue Going...A Universal Health Care Panel Discussion"
UConn School of Law
Panel Members: CT State Senator Chris Murphy, John Battista, MD, Al Shaiken, Naomi Shaiken, Gretchen Vivier, Health Care For All Coalition
RSVP to mallett at student.uchc.edu

Sunday, March 13, 11am - 2 PM
A Tribute to Nancy Beals
Cascade, North Room
480 Sherman Ave, Hamden (turn off Whitney at Mt. Carmel Church)
$50/person or $500/table
To reserve a seat please RSVP to DTC Chair, Joe McDonagh (Welcome home from Moldova!) at 203.288.3890

Monday, March 14

Hearing on HR6303 - Single Payer Health Care System
11:00AM
Legislative Building, Room 1D
Hartford
To read the bill go to http://www.cga.ct.gov/2005/tob/h/2005HB-06303-R00-HB.htm

Democracy for CT - New Haven Host Committee Planning Meeting
7 PM,
Koffee? on Audubon (corner of Church)
Working meeting for the agenda and structure of the April meeting.
All are invited, especially team leaders.

Wednesday, March 16
No Voter Left Behind: Electronic Voting in CT
7 PM
West Hartford Town Hall Auditorium
50 South Main Street, WH; 3rd floor
Moderator: State Representative Andrew Fleischmann
Featuring Panelists with Expertise in Computers and Electronic Voting
from Common Cause, TrueVoteCT, and local Universities
Contact: Rich Sivel ~ 860 558 9436 or rich.sivel at comcast.net
Sponsored by West Hartford Citizens for Peace & Justice

Every Friday - Blood Drive at New Haven Red Cross Chapter House
703 Whitney Ave.
12:45 - 6 PM
Call 1-800-GiveLife (800 - 448-3543)
or go to http://www.givelife.org   to make an appointment

Saturday, March 19th
Bring The Troops Home NOW March and Rally in Hartford
March: 12 Noon - Intersection of Capital & Broad
Rally: 1 PM - Barnard Park (South Green)
Sponsored by CT United for Peace and Justice and American Friends Service Committee
Visit http://www.democracyforct.com/ to download a Flyer to Post
This action is happening world wide from March 18 - 20th, the 2nd anniversary of our going to war with Iraq.

Marjorie Clark
Dean Democrat & Web Manager
Democracy for CT - New Haven
http://www.democracyforct.com
Empowering people to preserve Democracy, one day, one vote, one office at a time

http://www.LittleFishStudios.com
113 Dunn Rd.
Hamden, CT 06518
203.288.6831