{news} FW: Office Committee Report and SCC meeting

Kelly McCarthy kelly.mccarthy at aya.yale.edu
Thu Mar 17 14:01:27 EST 2005

Greens,

This is the updated and final version of the Office Committee Report. Please
review it before the next SCC meeting, and reps should come prepared to vote
on the proposal by the OC in two weeks. We need to have quorum this time, so
please try to attend the SCC meeting! Also, please send us the names &
contact info of your chapter's elected SCC reps ASAP, so I can attempt to
contact them and ensure they have time to review the report as well. Thanks.

Cheers,

Kelly McCarthy
Treasurer - Hamden Green Party PAC

"Well-behaved women seldom make history"
--Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

CT Green Party SCC – Office Committee Report –Finalized 3/15/05

Prepared by Kelly McCarthy, Hamden Chapter

I. Original Proposal from Fairfield Chapter for an Office Committee
(10/2004; Appendix 5)

PRESENTER (committee, chapter(s),or group of individuals):

Fairfield County Greens

CONTACT (name, address, phone number, email):

Eddie Friend, P.O. Box 1747 Darien, CT 06820, 203-854-5900,
Route12eddie at aol.com <blocked::mailto:Route12eddie at aol.com>

SUBJECT (10 words or less):

Creation of Office Committee

 BACKGROUND AND PURPOSE:

The office space rented in Hartford has become a contentious issue which has
disrupted the SCC. This committee would be charged with formulating a plan
that would consider the feasibility of continuing to support the office
space and the associated insurance issues

PROPOSAL:

We propose that the Office Committee be formed to prepare a report to the
SCC concerning the future of the office space in Hartford.  The committee
would have two main considerations.  If the office is to remain open, how
would it be funded?  If the office were to be shut, how would the state
party maintain the liability insurance that is necessary for chapters to
hold events?  This committee would recognize the need for a timely report
and recommendation to be made to the SCC in order to resolve this issue.

II. January 25, 2005 SCC Meeting:

Office Committee is requested by SCC to convene before next meeting; Kelly
McCarthy volunteers to

work on Committee and convene before the Feb meeting.

III. Office Committee Meetings:

February 19, 2005 (10.30 am @ New Haven Lib) & March 12, 2005 (10 am @
Hartford Office)

Debating the merits of the office space in Hartford is not the purpose of
this Committee. Business is primarily conducted by individuals via email
and/or phone. Report and options/recommendations are approved by review at
meetings; consensus is not required and, therefore, several options will be
presented for a vote by Chapter Reps at the March 29, 2005, SCC meeting.

Send additional information re: fundraising and/or insurance to the Office
Committee c/o Kelly McCarthy (kelly.mccarthy at aya.yale.edu; phone
203-230-9726); Any additional information must be substantiated and
received by March 12, 2005, to be considered by the Committee at their final
meeting. Additional information deemed relevant will be provided to Chapter
Reps by March 14th via email or post.

III.  Background Information

A.     CTGP use of office:

Nov 2002 – Feb 2005: 1 of 28 SCC meetings were in Hartford office

Mar 2003 – Jan 2005: 13 of 18* Executive Committee meetings were in Hartford
office

* this number does not include EC meetings that were held via conference
call or cancelled

Various Committees* (Internal Elections, Diversity, etc.) used office for
meetings as needed

* at least 2+ confirmed since 2003

GP Strategy Meeting/Focus Group Jan 2005

Candidate Appreciation Day 2004

New Years Party 2001

Other events? (records not currently available)

B.     Greater Hartford Chapter use of office:

Regular Chapter meetings

Three 1st Dist. State Senate runs by Mike DeRosa

Two City Council runs by Elizabeth Horton-Sheff

Other local campaigns in Hartford

Progressive movie nights: approx. every two weeks

Several fundraisers for Hartford Chapter’s support of office space

Other events

C.    Other State Chapters:

No other Chapters reported direct use of the office for their events. Some
Chapters stated that

they were able to obtain riders for Chapter events connected to the State’s
general liability office  insurance policy. One Chapter stated that they
were unable to schedule use of the office when they attempted to do so.

D.    Other Greens:

Nader & Cobb have visited and spoken @ office in 2002-2004

The GPUS has met there sometime in last 4 yrs.

E.     Non-Greens:

Undercurrent Newspaper previously met @ office*

VOTER meets periodically (current)*

“Bring the Troops home Now” meets weekly for upcoming events (current)*

* No funds were received by the CTGP for their use of the office

F.     Comments on financial situation of offices from CTGP SCC Meeting
Minutes*:

* available online @  <http://www.ctgreens.org/> www.ctgreens.org

November 14th, 2000: The state committee approved of keeping the Hartford
office open. Rent and utilities will be split evenly between the Greater
Hartford Chapter and the State Party.

November 28th, 2000:  New Haven Office--The state central committee approved
keeping the New Haven office open with the understanding that the New Haven
chapter would be responsible for all expenses. It was further agreed upon
that other chapters could open offices as long  as they raise the money
themselves.

March 27, 2001: Our insurance policy is up for renewal; the rate for this
year is $1236 (last year's cost about $1500). This covers events and
offices; and candidates can get coverage for their campaigns for only $1.
Note: Our current policy costs less than it did previously but only covers
events occurring in the Hartford Office, unless we purchase an additional
rider for an event on an event-by-event basis. (Ex. This meeting is not
covered by our insurance, so if you hurt yourself, please don’t look to us.)

May 29, 2001: Treasurer’s report:
the CTGP are currently down to $360, with
a $400 bill looming at the end of the month, for rent on the Hartford
office.  The biggest drain on funds is that office.  B. Proposed solutions:
2. Chapters should make every effort humanly possible (and morally
palatable) to promote sustaining memberships, either through credit cards or
checking accounts, so that the state will have a fixed minimum monthly
income.  We should have at least 30-40 of these in order to subsidize the
newsletter and at least part of the Hartford rent.
  5. Hartford candidates
using the Hartford HQ’s for their campaigns should bear part of the rent
burden.  After the election, the decision to maintain a state HQ in Hartford
should be revisited.                Note: This is the first mention of a
“State HQ” in the available SCC minutes.

G.    Comments about future need of state office space:

It has been suggested that we may have Green candidates for CT state-wide
offices in 2006.

This implies that we may have a need for a state office space somewhere
before election time in November 2006, and this issue should be addressed at
that time. However, until then, we must still address the current funding
and insurance issues of the state office space in Hartford.

H.    Various office facts:

·         You can schedule a meeting/event at the office by contacting Mike
DeRosa & putting your name on the calendar in the office.

·         To date, there is no log kept on use of the office space.

·         Various individuals (approx. 11) have keys to the office space.

·         There is no lease; the office is rented month-to-month.

·         The city of Hartford taxes the contents of the office (which have
been donated by members of the Green Party, primarily the Hartford Chapter);
the CTGP paid for these during 2004.

·         Bills are sent to: Electric bill: Chris Reilly / DeRosa A 2000;
418A New Britain Ave. Hartford, CT 06106 ; Phone bill: Chris Reilly / CT
Green Party; 1 King Arthurs Way Apt 4. Newington, CT 06111.

·         In the case of a fire, contents of office are either covered by
office policy or personal insurance of individuals loaning items.

Proposal issues addressed in IV. Funding:

If we are to continue allocating funds for a state office space in Hartford,
to what extent do we do so? And how do we raise the funds necessary to
sustain it in the long-term?

IV.  Funding –

A.     Total % of all State funds spent on office in 2004:

Total amount minus office insurance costs: $4,741.12; % funds received =
76%*

Total amount including office insurance: $5,577.35; % funds received = 90%*

* Totals reflect ½ of office rent & total of utilities and taxes. Represents
a disproportionate distribution of funds. The SCC may need to address its
funding priorities in light of this. See attached chart.

B.     Amount necessary to keep office running*:

* State’s estimated monthly portion paying only half of rent & utilities
according to SCC minutes; currently paying all of utilities.

Estimated average monthly payment: $306.00

% of monthly spending: 70% *

C.    Present balance of State funds:

We received two large, one-time donations this month, totaling about $1,000.
Our current

balance is $1,601.66. We have enough to pay for this month, if you don’t
take into consideration our debt and other one-time expenses that need to be
approved by the SCC. Our annual meeting/internal elections (as estimated)
would wipe out our balance.

At some point (probably within 6 months), we will most likely receive a
one-time gift of

approximately $12,000+. We do not have this money in our hands as of yet. It
is the opinion of our Treasurer, Bob Eaton, that these funds should not be
used for normal operating expenses that should be covered in the long-term
by a successful fundraising campaign.

D.    Amount earned by State @ office events/for operations of Hartford
office*:

* total funds raised in 2004

CTGP: -0-

Hartford Chapter: unknown

E.  Total State debt:

(1) office related (including balance owed to Chris R.): $2,650 all office
debt owed to Chris

(2) other/not office related balances owed: $6,125.78 total debt owed to
Chapters ($4,481.76 assuming Hartford Chapter repays negative balance); $594
in non-office debt owed to Chris.

F.  Current balance of debt/credit for all 12 Chapters; % of total debt:

            See graph: all chapters have positive balances except for
Greater Hartford.

G.  Greater Hartford Fiscal Report:

Amount contributed by the HGP PAC for office expenses (2004): $2,550 (half
of rent for 11 months; will be paying for ½ of office expenses retroactively
to Jan 05)

Financial status of Hartford Green Party PAC: Balance approx. $5 (after
expenses)

Amount of funds raised by HGP PAC in 2004: $2,610 (for 11 months)

I.        CTGP Fundraising Plan*:

* Fundraising plan should address current/fixed expenses as well as previous
debts.

                        See attached CT Green Party Fundraising Plan,
provided by Tom Sevigny.

J.      Feasibility of fundraising plan given current debt/income ratio:

If we continue funding the State office space at the current rate and pay
off our debts (total owed to Chris R. & only half of what is owed to our
Chapters) with the one-time gift ($12,000) we will be receiving in the
future, we will be out of money again in approximately one year.*

* If we paid the entire debt owed to all chapters, then we would be out of
funds in approximately 3 months.

-$3,244            Debt owed to Chris Reilly

-$3,062            Debt owed to Chapters (half of total)

-$   830            Yearly insurance cost

-$   680            Other fixed costs (800 #, CC processing, etc.)

-$3,672            Cost of ½ office rent & utilities (12 months)

-$11,488

We have additional expenses that have not yet been approved by the SCC for
fundraising, insurance riders for future events, internal elections, etc.,
and those are not included in the account above.

As we do not have a current budget for this fiscal year (4/04 to 3/05), nor
one for next year, it is difficult to say exactly how long these funds
should last. However, in 2004, our expenses totaled  $10, 713.19 and we
received only +$8,294.00 from our fundraising and in-kind donations, which
left us with a negative balance of -$2,419.19.

So, if we assume we continue supporting the office at the current rate, have
the same fixed expenses and have about the same costs for additional
expenses, we will spend approximately $10,700 for our next fiscal year (4/05
to 3/06). If we add to this amount our debts (Chris Reilly and half of what
is owed to our Chapters—although they could request the entire amount), our
expenses for the year will total $17,006. That means we will likely use at
least $8,712 of the expected one-time gift of $12,000. At best, this will
leave us with about a three thousand dollars to prepare for our activities
in 2006; at worst, this will leave us with nothing.

Taking into account our sluggish and largely unsuccessful fundraising plan,
it seems

obvious that we do not have enough funds to sustain our current fixed
expenses and spending rate in the long-term.

Proposal issues addressed in V. Insurance:

If do not continue allocating funds for a state office space in Hartford,
how would we maintain the necessary liability insurance? And what would be
the estimated expense of doing so?

V.  Insurance –

A.     Explanation of coverage*:

*Information confirmed with Rose Irish, our agent with Joseph Krar & Assoc.,
Inc.

Please note: Our current insurance carrier will no longer provide us riders
for individual events. The office policy then only covers events occurring
in the office, and we will have to purchase individual “event policies” on
an event-by-event basis.

The total spending for insurance in 2004 was $940.23 (including the office
policy, riders &

fees). In 2004, our insurance only covered events in the Hartford Office and
two specific events that we obtained riders for (see below).

The SCC needs to address the issue of continuing our current coverage type,
which does not provide CTGP general liability coverage for the vast majority
of meetings/events held by Chapters, or of upgrading to a more comprehensive
policy, which might provide complete coverage but would obviously cost more.

However, a more comprehensive policy may be unnecessary, as most meetings
are held in public buildings and homes, which are already covered by the
owners’ policies. Exceptions that may require us to provide our own
insurance, would include holding events in an outdoor venue, requirements of
a larger event organizer, bringing alcohol into buildings, etc. (more
detailed insurance information included in attached report; pgs 9-12)

B.     Cost for office insurance (yearly/monthly):

General Liability Office Policy: $830 paid yearly as a lump sum by CTGP

Total cost for office expenses & policy to maintain insurance*: $4,502/year;
$375/month

* Based on estimated $306/month office expenses

C.    Total cost for additional event riders in 2004:

Total: $436.80 for two events; average cost of $218; $104 not reimbursed

(Jilson Square=$332.80/reimbursed; DNC2RNC=$104)

D.    Cost estimate for various insurance situations:

(1) Umbrella General Liability Insurance: Unknown (Two underwriters are
still working, but this would provide more coverage than we have currently.
We are also looking into what the USGP and other state chapters do for
insurance.)

(2) Event-by-event Gen. Liab. Insurance Policies: $100+/event; cost varies
by event but general top-end estimate was $500 (confirmed w/ three
agencies); this type of coverage would require us to purchase an event
policy in advance of the event & generally takes more time than a rider to
secure (approximately 3 weeks prior to the event)

(3) Cost of event policy for SCC meeting (25 people) w/ current policy:
approx. $471/event

E.     Feasibility of insurance options:

Assuming the CTGP wants to continue our current level of coverage, i.e. with
the ability & main

purpose of covering events that we would normally purchase separate riders
for, than the estimated costs would be as follows—

1. Cost for 2 events per year without the general office policy (high
estimate):  $1,100 (avg. $200-2,000)

2. Cost for 2 events per year with the general office policy (not including
office expenses): $1,772

3. Cost for 5 events per year with the general office policy (not including
office expenses): $3,185

4. Cost for 5 events per year without the general office policy (high
estimate): $2,750 (avg. $500-5,000)

5. Cost for 2 events per year with the general office policy (including
office expenses): $5,444

6. Cost for 5 events per year with the general office policy (including
office expenses): $6,857

See attached graph.

            As these estimates show, if we do not continue allocating funds
for a state office space in Hartford, than we still can afford comparable
and even less expensive coverage. Due to recent changes in our current
provider’s policies, the total cost of the insurance will be less if we
purchase single event policies (as in #1 & #4), regardless of the number
events we plan on providing insurance for each year,  rather than continuing
with the office insurance policy + event policies.

V.  Voting Options –

A. Keep CTGP funding of office as is; budget & need for office/use will be
re-evaluated every 6 months.  (CTGP paying only 50% of rent & utilities +
all taxes & insurance costs = approx. $5,500/year = approx. 90% of all CTGP
cash funds)

B. Decrease CTGP funding of office to 25%; budget & need for office/use will
be re-evaluated every 6 months.  (CTGP paying only 25% of rent, utilities,
taxes & office insurance policy = approx. $2,500/year = approx. 40% of all
CTGP cash funds; 25% is based on liberal estimate of use of office space by
CTGP & represents a more balanced distribution of funding)

C. Cease CTGP funding of office; budget & need for office/use will be
re-evaluated every 6 months.  (CTGP would not be responsible for any portion
of rent, utilities, taxes or office insurance costs = 0% of all CTGP cash
funds; we would purchase individual liability event policies for CTGP needs)

>From Sect. I. CT Green Party “Fundraising Plan”

[e-mail from Tom Sevigny to Bob Eaton 8/13/04;  very similar plan in minutes
of August 2004 SCC minutes]

1. Fundraising letters

a.  Four a year (March 1st, June 1st, September 1st, December 1st)

b. Three of these mailings will be to a select group of people (i.e.
individuals who have given money over the last year, individuals who voted
in the last internal election, etc.)

c. One mailing will be to the entire state mailing list.

2. Phone solicitations

a. Shall be conducted one month after mailings are sent.  Phone calls made
to those who did not respond.

3. Events

a. At least four a year with prominent speaker

4.  100 for 100 sustainer program.

a.  All fundraising appeals (letters, phone, events) shall emphasize the 100
for 100 program.  The goal of this program is to get 100 people to give $100
a year through their credit cards or automatic checking.  Sustainers can
give one lump sum or in monthly installments as low as $8.00 a month.

5.  Merchandising

a.  When financially able, the party shall promote a full line of
merchandise (pins, bumper stickers, t-shirts, hats, etc.)

REPORT ON CTGP INSURANCE

The goal of this report is to clarify the current CTGP insurance coverage
held for the CTGP Hartford Chapter Office at 418 New Britain Ave., Hartford.
The policy names as the insured, “The Green Party of CT,” effective
06/05/04.

Coverage Provided by Current Policy

Research on the current policy included my reviewing a copy of the policy,
having it reviewed by another agent (from Abbate Insurance) and speaking
several times at length with Rose Irish, a representative for our current
agent, Penny-Hanley & Howley Co., Inc. I also reviewed the monthly CTGP
treasurer’s reports.

What the Policy Covers

Our policy is a “Limited Commercial General Liability” policy, whose
coverage is limited to liability for activity in the Hartford office itself.
That is, its basic annual premium of  $830 covers liability for events that
actually happen in the Hartford office and “on ways [passageways, sidewalks]
next to premises.”

To illustrate the extent of our coverage, a typical claim, according to Ms.
Irish, would be if a (non-CTGP*) person came to an event at the Hartford
office, tripped and fell over a ragged carpet, hurting her/himself, and
breaking her/his eyeglasses.  That person could then sue CTGP for
compensatory personal injury and damage to his/her property.  Once this
injured person made a claim against the Hartford office, our insurer would
investigate the validity of the claim, etc., and, typically, automatically
pay for any medical expenses up to $5000 per person (without that person
having to sue), unless the injured person had health insurance. The policy
also provides legal defense in any lawsuit for compensatory bodily
injury/property damages.

[*“Non-CTGP” person because, according to Ms. Irish, technically speaking,
it could be argued that, as members of CT Green Party--which holds the
policy--Greens are not covered by it; rather it refers to suits by
non-Greens who attend, for example, the movie nights at the Hartford office.
However, Ms. Irish did acknowledge the ambiguity of this and that clarity
could probably only be achieved by a Green Party member actually suing for
compensatory damages that occurred in the Hartford Office.)

*Liquor Liability:

On occasions where liquor is served in the Hartford office, there is
coverage for liability for bodily injury or property damage (again occurring
in the Hartford office) “by reason of: 1) Causing or contributing to the
intoxication of any person; 2) The furnishing of alcoholic beverages to a
person under the legal drinking age or under the influence of alcohol; or 3)
Any statue, ordinance or regulation relating to the sale, gift, distribution
or use of alcoholic beverages.”

*Fire/water legal liability insurance (i.e., for fire or water damage caused
from the Hartford office to the property of another person, for example, in
another floor of the building.)

What the Policy Does NOT Cover:

*Damage or theft of any property in the office (e.g., computer). We need
separate property liability insurance for such coverage. (The owner
presumably carries insurance for damage to the building itself, e.g., if
someone outside broke one of the office windows).

*“Punitive or exemplary damages” (The policy reads: “If a suit seeking both
compensatory and punitive or exemplary damages has been brought against you
for liability claim covered by this policy, we will provide defense for such
action.  We will not have any obligation to pay for any costs, interest or
damages attributable to punitive or exemplary damages.”)

*“Personal and advertising injury” meaning injury resulting from false
arrest, detention or imprisonment; malicious prosecution; oral or written
publication of material that slanders or libels a person or organization or
disparages a person’s or an organization’s goods, products, services; oral
or written material publication of material that violates a person’s right
to privacy; the use of another’s advertising idea in our advertisements; or
infringing upon another’s copyright, trade dress or slogan in our
advertisements.

Thus, there’s no liability insurance for the party’s political
positions/action.  For example, if a CTGP political candidate were accused
of libel during a campaign, the CTGP/the candidate are not covered; also no
coverage in the case of a party member suing the party for defamation around
an ethics complaint, etc.

*Bodily injury or property damage as a result of acts of terrorism or war
(“War includes civil war, insurrection, rebellion or revolution")

*Bodily injury to a person injured “while taking part in athletics” at the
office.

*Bodily injury or property damage due to/caused by: fungus, dry-rot or
decay; any substance, vapor or gas produced or arising out of any fungus,
spore or mycotoxin in the office.

*Bodily injury caused by or aggravated by exposure, inhalation, consumption
or absorption of asbestos fibers or dust or silica dust (i.e., asbestosis,
silicosis, mesothelioma, emphysema, pneumoconiosis, pulmonary fibrosis,
pleuritis, endothelioma or any lung ailment) in the office.

*Bodily injury or property damage due to or arising out of the actual or
alleged presence of asbestos of silica dust in any form, including the costs
of investigation, monitoring or removal of any property or substance)

*Bodily injury or property damage for the actual, alleged or threatened
discharge, dispersal, seepage, migration, release or escape of  “pollutants”
in the office at any time, including claims/suits, statutory/regulatory
requirements to test, monitor, or clean up effects of “pollutants.”

*Assault or battery:

Bodily injury or property damage arising out of assault or battery or out of
any act or omission in connection with the prevention or suppression of an
assault or battery

(For example, if people assault and injure one another in the Hartford
office, there’s no liability coverage for care for the persons harmed or for
CTGP should the injured persons sue the party for damages resulting.
Apparently, this exclusion doesn’t apply to bodily injury resulting from the
use of “reasonable force” to protect a person or property.)

*This policy does not provide liability coverage for any CTGP events
occurring away from the Hartford Office despite the fact that many of us
naively presented the Hartford Office liability insurance cover sheet when
required at various venues like libraries, fairs, etc.

Until February 2004, the policy did allow CTGP to purchase “riders” at
various costs for CTGP chapter events.  These riders were required in order
to extend the limited liability insurance described above for the Hartford
Office to those specific venues.

Examples of recent “riders” and their costs:

August 18, 2004:  $332.80 to cover liability for 80 people camping out in
Jillson Sq., Willimantic during the DNC to RNC march.

August 18-19, 2004: $104 to cover liability for a Gardening Workshop by
Heather Shepherd in Eisenhower Park, Milford.

However, as of February 2005, no riders may be purchased on this policy to
extend the Hartford Office liability insurance to CTGP events. Instead,
“special event” insurance may be purchased from our current agent at the
cost of $471 for each event.

As a result of this change, liability insurance for the Hartford office is
separate from, and unrelated to, non-Hartford office activities.

Alternatives

Several people to whom I spoke, including insurance agents, attested to the
difficulty to insure political parties per se, but especially so for a
rather unknown or notorious party like the Greens.  A common reason given is
that insurers don’t know what their getting into, what exactly their
liability might be.  In fact, one agent wrote that her “market” of insurance
companies categorically would not insure any political rallies or marches.

*Homeowner’s insurance: according to agents I spoke with, some homeowner’s
policies might be interpreted to extend liability coverage to the individual
activities of the homeowner away from his/her home.  (For example, if at a
CTGP chapter event, the individual property of a specific CTGP member
organizing the event somehow caused harm to an attendee at that event, and
the harmed person tried to sue for compensation, it’s possible that the
homeowner’s policy of the offending CTGP property owner might provide
coverage.  However, individual CTGP members would have to investigate the
liability limits of their own homeowner’s policies.)

*I spoke with Bob McClung, the person that handles insurance for the
national party (USGP), on the chance that USGP insurance might extend to
state parties.  He told me that insurance laws don’t permit writing policies
in one state for any others and that USGP does not have office insurance but
has “special event” policies, most obvious example being for the
presidential nominating conventions.  He suggested that course.

*Other Agents:  after I pursued a couple of unsuccessful leads, my own
health insurance agent referred me to Abbate Insurance Agency in New Haven.
He has found Abbate to be helpful in finding low-cost insurance for an
organization he chairs and which has no office (Harvard Club of CT).

In several communications with agent Mary Slater of Abbate describing CTGP
chapter activities (including submitting a written statement detailing
those), and research on her part, Ms. Slater informed me by phone and in a
faxed message:

“The only company I had that showed some interest finally got back to me and
stated that they would be very comfortable looking at activities on an
individual Special Event basis.  They indicated that once they wrote some
special event policies, they might reach a comfort level eventually to offer
an annual policy but they are not making any promises.  Thank you for your
patience and if you would like me to pursue any special event policies, I
would need at least a two week lead-time.”

Ms. Slater told me that each special event policy would cost something
approaching $500, about the same quote as that of our current agent,
Penny-Hanley & Howley Co. She told me that the company she had in mind
didn't know the cost exactly until they had a concrete event before them.
Again, she suggested CTGP approach them with a specific event we wanted
covered, have this company insure it and then from that experience, they
would be more inclined to write a more encompassing policy and
cost-effective policy for our CTGP events.

 CONCLUSIONS

 This report aims to clarify the current insurance coverage for the office
of the Hartford chapter, CTGP.  This report does not substantiate or
identify CTGP’s past or potential uses of the Hartford chapter office.

Two main conclusions emerge:

1) From both fiscal and Green Party perspectives--including CTGP’s very
limited financial resources, its current debt, and the Green Key Value of
“Future Focus and Sustainability”(We must counterbalance the drive for
short-term profits by assuring that economic development, new technologies,
and fiscal policies are responsible to future generations who will inherit
the results of our actions)—there appears to be no justification for the
CTGP to continue subsidizing the commercial property liability insurance for
the Hartford Chapter office on New Britain Ave.

 Until this month (February, 2005), one benefit did accrue to the whole CTGP
from its subsidy of the Hartford office insurance policy:  the option—at an
annual cost of $830--to purchase riders to extend the limited liability
coverage of the Hartford office policy to other CTGP chapter activities.  As
recent experience shows, however, these were not insignificant amounts
(e.g., $$332.80).  Nonetheless, whether affordable or not, that benefit to
the party is no longer available with this policy.

Among the other disadvantages of CTGP’s support for this insurance policy:

*This policy provides neither the CTGP nor the Hartford Chapter any
liability protection from libel or other lawsuits related to the activities
or positions of CTGP candidates or members as some recent written position
statements have suggested (e.g., “Reasons to Support the State Green Party
Office,” by Mike De Rosa, distributed at the 9/04 SCC meeting: “The policy
we have was written by the only carrier willing to take on political
parties. The price of coverage doubled this year because insurance companies
see political organizations as recently being prime targets for law suits
that are popping all over the place with political parties and because of
the actions of their candidates and members. . . .”).  Again, this insurance
policy is only a limited commercial liability policy for activity in the
Hartford office as described above.

*The rather alarming discovery that the CTGP has been operating under the
false, and potentially dangerous, assumption that the policy for the
Hartford chapter office, which lists “The Green Party of CT” as the insured,
extends its admittedly limited liability coverage to CTGP activities away
from the Hartford Chapter office without paying for specific “riders.”
Again, riders have, in fact, been necessary to insure coverage to those
other venues. Looking back, the CTGP could reasonably have been accused of
operating in bad faith at best, or under false pretenses at worst, in those
local chapter activities where evidence of liability insurance coverage was
required.

One recent example:  one of the requirements for the Western chapter’s
participation at the “New Milford Fair Days” was proof of liability
insurance for our booth at the Fair, which we’ve done for the past 3 years.
Given the demonstrably hostile political environment the Western Chapter has
experienced in New Milford in response to our
anti-war/anti-occupation/ethics complaint activities (including identifiable
attempts to publicly discredit us for our positions), it is disquieting to
think of the bad publicity at best, or legal consequences at worst, had the
already hostile chairperson of the New Milford Fair Days/the New Milford
Chamber of Commerce discovered that we were deceiving him about our
insurance coverage (however unintentionally) and that we had, in fact, no
liability insurance as required for participation in the Fair.

2) Putting aside whether CTGP continues to subsidize the insurance/rent for
the Hartford Chapter office, this review underscores the very limited nature
of the liability coverage of the current policy even for the Hartford
Chapter office itself, particularly against damage/theft of office property
in the office, and raises the question of the policy’s cost-effectiveness.

However, while this report shows no justification for the CTGP to continue
subsidizing the limited property liability insurance of the Hartford Chapter
office, this conclusion of course does not preclude the Hartford Chapter
from raising funds for the insurance for their office in order to continue
their good outreach activities from there.

Finally, should the CTGP’s State Central Committee (SCC) decide to stop
paying for this insurance and to cancel the current policy, the Green Party
of CT must mail or deliver advance written notice of cancellation.  If the
policy is cancelled by CTGP prior to its renewal date, a refund due will be
issued, though it may be less than pro rata.

To conclude, other options for the state party for insuring individual CTGP
chapter activities, including those of the Hartford Chapter, include the
following:

*Continue with our present agent, Penny-Henley & Howley Co., Inc. in paying
for special event insurance at $471 per event.

*Seek special event coverage at approximately $500 through Abbate Insurance
Co. to establish a record of CTGP activities as Abbate Insurance agent Mary
Slater suggested, with the possibility that our insurer will be willing to
provide a less costly, more comprehensive policy covering chapter activities
without riders.

*For the near future, individual CTGP chapters can seek special event
insurance for their activities as needed, including investigating the extent
of liability coverage by the homeowner’s policies of individual CTGP chapter
members.

Prepared by Justine McCabe

Western Chapter, CTGP

  _____