{news} MEDIA ADVISORY: RACE IS ON TO WIN SOLAR PANELS FOR SCHOOLS

David Bedell dbedellgreen at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 18 02:30:11 EDT 2005

        # # #

MEDIA ADVISORY

Contacts:
Darek Shapiro, Stamford 20% by 2010 Clean Energy Committee: (203) 329-9775
Martin Mador, Hamden Natural Resources and Open Space Commission: (203)
281-4326
Aaron Gustafson, Hamden Energy Use and Climate Change Task Force: (203)
230-9726

RACE IS ON TO WIN SOLAR PANELS FOR SCHOOLS
Stamford Clean Energy Team rallies to beat Hamden

WHAT:	The Stamford 20% by 2010 Clean Energy Committee will meet to launch
the Solar on Schools Clean Energy Challenge.  The Committee has challenged
its counterparts in Hamden, CT to a contest under the terms of the
Connecticut Clean Energy Communities program, whereby utility customers can
switch from buying dirty coal-, oil- and nuclear-generated electricity, to
the clean energy suppliers offered through CL&P.  For every 100 Stamford
customers who sign up for the program, the city will win a 2-kW photovoltaic
(PV) solar electric system worth over $20,000, to be installed on a city
building such as a school.  Students in Stamford and Hamden schools will
compete to see how many solar installations they can win before Earth Day
2006, by signing up their families' homes or businesses. Darek Shapiro and
the Clean Energy Committee will meet to distribute contest materials and
plan their city outreach strategy.

WHEN:	Tuesday, October 18, 2005, 7 pm

WHERE:	Stamford Government Center, 4th floor cafeteria
             888 Washington Blvd., Stamford, CT

WHO:	Darek Shapiro is principal of Environmental Architecture LLC, a
full-service architecture design firm for commercial and residential
projects. He founded Stamford's 20% by 2010 Clean Energy Committee which
successfully petitioned the City of Stamford to buy 20% of its electricity
from clean energy sources by 2010.  He serves on the board of directors of
ECOS (Environmental Council Of Stamford) and is active in the CT Climate
Change Coalition and the CT chapter of Peace Action.  Darek is the 2005
Green Party candidate for mayor of Stamford.

QUOTES:

"Stamford has been labeled as one of the ten worst cities in New England for
air pollution.  25% of the students in the Stamford public schools suffer
from asthma and other respiratory ailments. The Clean Energy Option is an
easy first step we can all take to improve air quality."
--Darek Shapiro

"We recognize energy independence, we recognize rising gas prices, we
recognize the issues of global warming, and here's a solution for you to
take to show your support to address those issues."
--Brian Garcia, Connecticut Clean Energy Fund

"This is a wonderful opportunity for our students to learn about solar
energy.  Not only would a solar installation be an asset to the school's
science curriculum, but it would also provide long-term savings on the
school's utility budget."
--Trish Dayan, Green Party candidate for Stamford Board of Education

For more information about Clean Energy Options for Stamford residents and
businesses, or about the Connecticut Clean Energy Communities, please visit
http://www.ctcleanenergyoptions.com

        # # #