{news} Anti-War Vigils at local Congressional offices on Nov 1

Charlie Pillsbury chapillsbury at igc.org
Sun Oct 23 20:25:42 EDT 2005

Vigils at local Congressional offices on Nov 1PLEASE CIRCULATE WIDELY
  Dear Friends,
  The Fellowship of Reconciliation (FOR) and Reclaiming the Prophetic Voice (RTPV) are calling for an interfaith public witness at local Congressional offices on Nov 1.
  In CT, we have point people lined up for each district.  To register to participate in one of these events and receive the details about time and place in your district, please send an e-mail to PropheticVoiceNov1 at yahoo.com.
  You will also find information posted on our websites: www.ReclaimingthePropheticVoice.org and www.forusa.org.
  The basic outline of the event is pasted below.
  We are also calling for lobbying phone calls during the two weeks leading up to the event (details available on the downloadable flyers at the website), asking the following quesitons:
  1)  Will you publicly demand an immediate end to the use of torture, and call for a full, independent investigation into the abuse of detainees?
  2)  Will you publicly demand an end to the war in Iraq and a timeframe for bringing our troops home?
  3)  Will you publicly demand that no permanent US bases remain in Iraq?
  4) Will you publicly call for an end to the draining of resources into the Iraq war, giving priority to urgent domestic needs, including relief for hurricane victims?
  Peace and Resistance,
  John Humphries
  Hartford Friends Meeting
  Reclaiming the Prophetic Voice Steering Committee
  860/236-5175;  jhumphries at igc.org
  Who:     The Fellowship of Reconciliation (www.forusa.org) and Reclaiming the Prophetic Voice (www.ReclaimingthePropheticVoice.org), a network of religious leaders and people of faith in CT committed to nonviolent alternatives to war, along with allies all across the country

  For more information, send e-mail to: PropheticVoiceNov1 at yahoo.com

  or call: John Humphries at 860/236-5175

  What:   An Interfaith Public Witness at Local Congressional Offices

    a.. Making visible the human cost of the war by reading the names of US soldiers and Iraqi civilians who have died in Iraq since March 2003.
    b.. Demanding a full, independent congressional investigation into the abuse and torture of detainees.
    c.. Demanding that members of Congress speak up and exercise leadership to end the war, to hold senior officials accountable for torture and other war crimes, to ensure that the US leaves no permanent bases in Iraq, and to halt the diversion of resources away from urgent domestic needs, including hurricane relief, by putting a halt to war funding.
    d.. We encourage local organizers to plan at least part of their witness for inside the office (with additional supporters holding a vigil outside), and to consider having some participants willing to risk arrest if they are asked to leave before all the names have been read.
  Where: District offices of members of Congress in every state

  When:             Tuesday, November 1, 2005

  Why:    The illegal and immoral war in Iraq (launched preemptively, on the basis of faulty and fabricated evidence) and the use of torture against prisoners reflect a moral, spiritual crisis in this country.  As religious leaders and people of faith, we are called to respond to this crisis by lifting a moral and spiritual voice in the public arena, demanding that our members of Congress fulfill their responsibility to take action to halt this illegal war and to hold senior officials accountable for torture and other war crimes.  As the first Tuesday of the month, November 1 marks one year before the mid-term Congressional elections of 2006.  It is also All Saints Day, a Christian Holy Day used to honor saints, martyrs and others who have died.  We will use this occasion to honor those who have died in Iraq and to give prophetic witness to the immorality of the ongoing war and its growing impact on our struggling communities.