{news} Single payer health care passes Ca SENATE

Green Party-CT greenpartyct at sbcglobal.net
Tue Aug 29 16:49:58 EDT 2006

Senator Sheila Kuehl
> 08/28/06
> FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
>
> KUEHL'S HEALTHCARE BILL, SB 840, PASSES CALIFORNIA ASSEMBLY
>
> On Monday, August 28th, Senate Bill 840, authored by State Senator
Sheila
> Kuehl (D-23), passed out of the California State Assembly on a
preliminary
> vote of 43-30 (final vote expected to be 44-31).
>
> SB 840 provides a concrete plan for covering every California
resident
> with comprehensive health insurance, saves the state of California,
> businesses and working families nearly $8 billion in the first year,
and
> guarantees our right to choose our own doctor. The bill will now
return to
> the State Senate for concurrence and is expected to reach the
Governor's
> desk by September 1st.
>
> SB 840 provides comprehensive medical, dental, vision,
hospitalization and
> prescription drug coverage to every California resident. This broad
> coverage is made possible through a streamlined claims and
reimbursement
> system that is projected to save billions of dollars in
administrative
> costs. SB 840 allows California to use its purchasing power to
negotiate
> bulk rates for prescription drugs and durable medical equipment, such
as
> wheelchairs, thus realizing an additional $2 billion in savings, SB
840
> preserves the status of healthcare providers, hospitals and
pharmacies as
> private, competitive businesses.
>
> The plan is funded by drawing in current public spending and
replacing all
> premiums, co-pays and deductibles paid to insurance companies with
> premiums paid to the system. As amended, the bill creates a blue
ribbon
> panel of health, finance and technical experts to lay out the
mechanics
> for an affordable premium structure using information gathered in
> available funding studies.
>
> "The growing cost of health insurance is bankrupting our businesses
and
> working families. Our health care system is being decimated to pay
for
> insurance company waste", says State Senator Kuehl. "SB 840 is the
right
> solution for California's broken health care system. It covers
everyone,
> it contains costs and it improves quality - most important, it
guarantees
> your right to choose your own doctor."
>
> "This plan provides security and savings to every California family,
helps
> businesses by reducing their health insurance costs, and saves the
state
> almost a billion dollars", said Speaker Fabian Nunez. "The Governor
should
> sign this historic bill."
>
> "Right now we have a broken system that leaves too many Californians
in
> medical or financial jeopardy and a system that hinders economic
growth",
> said President Pro Tem Senator Don Perata. "SB 840 is responsible,
it's
> achievable and it's what we need to do to fix the health care system
in
> California."
>
> (Comment: SB 840 has already been passed by the California State
Senate.
> It will return there for concurrence in an amendment calling for a
> commission to establish the mechanics of a premium structure, and
then
> will move on to Gov. Schwarzenegger's desk.)
>

> --

    Tim McKee cell (860) 778-1304 or (860) 643-2282 Cliff Thornton for Governor- Campaign Manager-
    National Committee Member of the Green Party(Connecticut)

  Paid for by Thornton For Governor ,Donna Byrne-McKee, treasurer-   www.VoteThornton.com
  email: info at votethornton.com