{news} press release

Chris Nelson nelsonchris at mac.com
Fri Feb 10 08:52:07 EST 2006

Tim,

Thanks for taking the time to put this press release together. This
bill sounds terrible, part of a trend of using ostensible electoral
reform to safeguard incumbents and the two-party stranglehold. I am
glad the Greens got in a word in opposition.

I hate to contribute to the feeling that no good deed goes
unpunished, but I have a couple of concerns.

The press releases need to be proofread before they are sent out.
There is a typo in Ralph's quote that makes it almost incoherent,
(i.e. "noting" for, I assume, "not").  There is also a typo in the
very first line of the press release, (i.e. no "'s" after DeLauro).

What is the process for nominating a candidate on the Green line for
office? I thought Ralph, Cliff and others were seeking, but had not
yet secured, the Green party nomination. Why are they being billed as
the official candidates?

I want to temper there criticisms by acknowledging that mistakes are
a fact of life. The typo in the very first publication I sent to
print while working for an environmental group still causes me to
cringe more than a decade after the fact. (The details are too
gruesome to commit to print, but might be divulged in person, in
confidence, preferably after I have a couple of beers in me.)

I also know, from personal experience, how hard it is to find good
candidates. Any idealistic soul willing to subject themselves to the
rigors of a campaign deserves accolades, not petty sniping.

I want our party to succeed as much as anyone. In order to succeed
our presentations to the public must be well-crafted, and our
candidates must be chosen through an official process that ensures,
as much as possible, that they have the broad backing of the party
membership. We need to live up to both of these standards as we move
forward.

Look forward to hearing from you,

Chris Nelson
Chapter Representative - New London