{news} listservs

David Bedell dbedellgreen at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 14 20:22:25 EDT 2006

The topic of listservs was raised at the last Executive Committee meeting:

 > 4. Need to find out from SCC and David Bedell about the various
 > listservs:
 >
 >       a) which listservers are being used?    which are not being used?

COMMITTEE/CAUCUS LISTSERVS:

Frequently used:
CTGP-media at yahoogroups.com
CTGP-candidates at yahoogroups.com
CTGP-elections at yahoogroups.com

Occasionally used:
CTLavenderGreens at yahoogroups.com
CTGP-communications at yahoogroups.com

Seasonally used:
CTGP-internal-elections at yahoogroups.com (used at time of internal
elections--the annual convention)
CTGP-presidential at yahoogroups.com (every 4 years)

Rarely used:
CTGP-BRPP at yahoogroups.com
CTGP-fundraising at yahoogroups.com
CTGP-budget at yahoogroups.com
CTGP-legislation at yahoogroups.com
ctgp_diversity at yahoogroups.com

CHAPTER LISTSERVS:

Frequently used (>5 postings/month):
centralctgp at lists.riseup.net
FairfieldCountyGreens at yahoogroups.com
hamdengreenparty at yahoogroups.com
newhavengreens at yahoogroups.com
nhgreensannouncements at yahoogroups.com
nlgreens at yahoogroups.com

Occasionally used (<5 postings/month):
FairfieldCountyGreens-newsletter at yahoogroups.com (1 issue/month)
hartfordgreens at yahoogroups.com
nectgreens at lists.riseup.net
tollandcountygreens at yahoogroups.com

Rarely used (not every month):
shorelinegreens at yahoogroups.com
WesternCTGreens at yahoogroups.com

Discontinued:
greenparty_west_hartford at yahoogroups.com
nbgreens at yahoogroups.com

Don't know (I'm not subscribed):
greenpartyctnw at lists.riseup.net
Women's Caucus gpcwc at lists.riseup.net

 >       b) who wants off of the listserves?    Who wants to get on the
 > listserves?
I believe all the listservs have an automatic unsubscribe function.  To get
on a listserv, in some cases there is an automatic subscribe function, in
others the list manager must approve.

 >       c)  clarify who is to monitor the listserve activities?
On the listservs that I manage, I've not had to monitor the tone of
conversation or guard against personal attacks or anything like that (the
problem is usually too LITTLE interaction).  I've occasionally had to ban a
spammer from a list.  I think I've now set all my listservs so new members
are moderated; i.e., there is a probationary period where postings must be
approved by the manager.  This prevents the professional spammers who
subscribe and try to post spam.

Each chapter should encourage its members to join the chapter listserv and
participate.  Not everyone can make it to meetings, but this allows them to
be connected.  Chapter officers should post regular updates and
announcements to their chapter listservs.

David Bedell