{news} New London Times: Green Party holds citizens forum

David Bedell dbedellgreen at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 5 16:17:39 EST 2006

http://www.shorepublishing.com/archive/re.aspx?re=c04e8963-7494-4e09-90af-c89d3c16b5fd

It's Greener On This Side: Green Party holds citizens forum to reach out to
voters

By Stephen Chupaska
Published on 3/3/2006

New London -
It's easier being Green in New London these days.

Although the party, which formed locally in 2001, did not land a seat on
either the City Council or Board of Education in November, its members are
intent on sustaining momentum into next year's vote.

On Sunday at the All Souls Unitarian Universalist Church, the Greens held a
citizens forum, where its local leadership and active members gave
presentations on issues the party would like to grapple with in the next
year and a half.

“We want to push on with the issues that came up in the campaign,” Chris
Nelson, an alternate on the Planning and Zoning Commission, said.

The forum is the latest effort by local politicians to reach out to voters.
One New London, the other minor party in the city, holds monthly voter
information sessions. Mayor Beth Sabilia, a Democrat, recently held an
Internet chat on The Day's Web site.

The local Green party, Nelson explained, is eager to show it is far-reaching
in its politics and not just focused on the environment, as is the general
perception.

“We've always dealt with local issues,” he said. “In a town as politically
volatile as New London, we try to bring perspective on issues.”

Party member Tim Hanser, head of the Crystal Avenue Neighborhood
Association, said the Greens are trying to foster a cooperative spirit in
the city.

“Collaborative efforts are needed more in the city,” he said.

The Greens gave talks and manned information booths on four issues:
development, drug policy, good government and energy consumption.

At the forum, Nelson tackled perhaps the most pressing topic in the city –
development.

Using city maps dating before the urban renewal projects of the 1950s and
1960s and satellite photos, Nelson said he'd like city leaders to think of
development holistically, not on a case-by-case basis.

Hanser, who served on the Charter Revision Commission, discussed 'good
government.”

“It's not just the strong mayor,” he said. “It's also about how you elect
officials.”

Hanser said the party is not, at this point, endorsing anything in
particular.

“We just want to let people know what's out there,” he said.

Hanser passed out literature on ideas such as district representation and
proportional voting, all of which were discussed on the Charter Revision
Commission, but not approved.

The Greens also manned information booths on traditional party concerns such
as drug policy and energy conservation.

Bob Stuller, a City Council candidate last year, echoed the sentiments of
Cliff Thornton, the Green candidate for governor, who is pushing for drug
reforms.

“We need to move in the way of prevention education and medicine,” he said.

Kendric Hanson spoke about ways citizens could modify their homes with solar
panels to cut down on electric bills, and receive rebates for doing so.

Also, Hanson brought up the idea of installing wind turbines on a hill at
Bates Woods Park, a proposal also mentioned by City Councilor Margaret
Curtin.

“New London is viable for wind production,” he said, noting that some
turbines require a 50-meter elevation.