{news} Columbia, MO: Thornton speaks at Sensible Drug Policy Conference

David Bedell dbedellgreen at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 5 16:46:53 EST 2006

http://www.showmenews.com/2006/Mar/20060305News007.asp

Student group drums up opposition to drug war

By GREG MILLER of the Tribune’s staff
Published Sunday, March 5, 2006

Gary Davey smokes marijuana and credits the drug with relieving pain from
injuries he received in a head-on collision that shattered most of his bones
from the waist down and confined him to a wheelchair in 1989.

"The benefit that is available to these people is incredible," Davey said,
referring to the use of marijuana. "There were times I literally couldn’t
work."

Davey, 44, shared his story yesterday at the Students for Sensible Drug
Policy Midwest Regional Conference. The medicinal marijuana session Davey
participated in was one of more than a dozen events held at the University
of Missouri-Columbia campus.

Students for Sensible Drug Policy, a nationwide organization of college
students against the war on drugs, chose Columbia because of the success of
marijuana-related Propositions 1 and 2 in 2004. Cliff Thornton, a lawyer and
Green Party gubernatorial candidate in Connecticut, was keynote speaker.

Thornton’s drug reform group, Efficacy, was one of 10 sponsors for the
weekend gathering. Other sponsors are the Missouri chapter of the National
Organization to Reform Marijuana Laws, the Cannabis Action Network, Green
Aid and the Missouri Cannabis Coalition.

"These drugs are not the problem; the drug policies are the problem,"
Thornton said in an interview before the conference. "The drug war has
placed the African-American community into a de-evolving state."

Thornton, who is black, said drug laws that impose greater penalties for
crack cocaine violations than for powder cocaine offenses are specifically
designed to target black and lower-class people. That means taxes are
funding incarceration of people who otherwise could be paying taxes,
Thornton said. "That’s why most inner cities are so poor," he said.

Speakers at the conference included the associate county commissioner of
Marion County, Willy Richmond, and a former prosecutor from Kansas City,
Kan., Brian Leininger.

"It’s scary, more than anything, how these laws have gotten stricter and
stricter," Richmond said in a panel discussion of drug statutes. "It’s not
accomplishing anything."

Leininger called the drug war "not only a failure but counterproductive. …
It took me a lot of time, I think, to come around. But I certainly saw how
fruitless it was."

Columbia Police Chief Randy Boehm, who did not attend the conference, said
he believes the war on drugs is working. "I don’t think our policies target
poor and minorities," he said.

Boehm said the majority of drug-related calls that Columbia police deal with
are sales and activity in poorer areas. "The best we can hope for is to ...
cut down on violence that’s related to drug activity," he said.

The Students for Sensible Drug Policy Web site says the group endorses
"personal choice and freedom so long as a person’s actions do not infringe
upon another’s freedoms or safety."

But Boehm said that "drugs are not only harmful to the individual but
harmful to the community. I think that it does inherently infringe upon the
safety of the community."

Thornton said the prohibition of drugs has led to a black market that
creates violence and makes drugs cheaper and more accessible to the public.

"The only way you’re going to solve this problem is to bring these drugs
inside the law," he said.

Joe Bartlett, president of the MU chapter of Students for a Sensible Drug
Policy, said the conference is an opportunity to spread information about
their campaign with students from other colleges. He estimated 100 people
are participating in the three-day event, including 50 or 60 from outside
Columbia.

Lisa Davey doesn’t see her husband’s use of marijuana as a threat to the
safety of her community in St. Louis.

"The fact that this is an illegal drug is a sin," she said. "The use of
marijuana has given us a near-normal life."

Reach Greg Miller at (573) 815-1723 or gmiller@ tribmail.com.

Copyright © 2006 The Columbia Daily Tribune. All Rights Reserved.