{news} 10-25-05 SCC meeting of CTGP: quorum not met

B Barry roseberry3 at cox.net
Sun Mar 5 20:46:30 EST 2006

Minutes from 10-25-05 SCC CTGP meeting at Middletown City Hall; quorum not
met

Time: 7 to 8:30pm, 10-25-05, Tuesday

Location: Middletown City Hall, Room 208, 245 deKoven Drive, Middletown, CT

Facilitator: Allan Brison

Voting Attendees: Hamden: Francis Braunlich; Greater Hartford: Barbara
Barry, Secretary, Mike DeRosa, Co-chairperson; New Haven Chapter: Daniel
Sumrall, Allan Brison; Northwest: Judy Herkimer, Treasurer; Tolland: Tim
McKee. Women's Caucus:

Judy Herkimer.

A.	Preliminaries were adopted by consensus:

1.	Introductions/identify chapters. Stacker and timekeeper deferred.
2.	Identify people present who are NOT voting representatives: none.
BB responded to AB's question regarding who is qualified to be a voting
member: may have 1 voting member for every 5 members of a chapter; members
must have attended at least 2 chapter and/or state meetings of CTGP in the
past 12 consecutive months. JH: we are hoping for a By-Law change as right
now it is wide open. FB: it seems to me it is problem of getting enough
chapters represented, not your concern of chapters being overrepresented at
this time. It might be a concern at some point. But right now

it seems ludicrous.  JH: we have had problems in the past where chapters
have stacked the room.

3.	Adopted ground rules.
4.	Approval of tonight's proposed agenda: Additions: Modified Consensus
Process training from Women's Caucus; EC and voter registration information
from Judy Herkimer.    Deletions: Shoreline proposal per email request to
Secretary from Lindsay Mathews, Shoreline Chapter; Revised organizational
structure

from Strategy Committee from Kelly McCarthy and Aaron Gustafson,
Co-chairpersons: not available to present.

5.	 Presentation of Treasurer's July, August and September's monthly
reports by

   Judy Herkimer: see Addendum 1: 3rd quarter treasurer's report to State of
CT is due this week for campaign finance reporting:

   We received $12,000 from estate of New London, CT person that went to
national party. We legally have the ability to accept funds from the
national party. Have money for chapters.   $600 targeted donation: BB: is
this donation from within the state or out of state?  JH: out of state. BB:
who/what is it targeted for?  JH: 100% to Women's Caucus. BB: What would the
Women's Caucus use it for?  JH: earmarked Women's Caucus and/or Modified
Consensus   Training. JH: out of state.   CTGP post office box was renewed
for 1 year. Reimbursements: most of those are for Chris Reilly for his
reimbursements for his expenses paid for the state party. Credit card
expenses are a little higher as we had annual fee of $50 credit card due
from September to September 30 and posted October 3rd. Chapter expenses
included those for: large expenditure for their Fairfield chapter
convention; Western Chapter: $100 endorsed event at Central CT State
anti-war event on 11-4-05.

CTGP gave $100.  JH: we have lost 4 people who had been giving monthly
donations. Donations had ranged from $5 to up to $30.  JH thanks always to
Bob Eaton our immediate past treasurer for his institutional knowledge;
Karen Norton who has been involved in the credit card contributions for
several years actually and Chris Reilly for his mail handling.

   MD, co-chairperson, asked JH, treasurer, for physical copy of the CTGP
quarterly report for the Hartford Chapter. JH: You can get it on line. MD: I
have asked you in the past for you to send me a physical copy because I want
to compare what is being put on line and what you do. Is that possible?  JH:
I can give you my copy and you can copy it.

BB: The reason why we are asking you is because we (EC) have talked about
this in the past. And Chris (former CTGP treasurer) has talked about this in
the past because there has been something that the State cannot explain too
well. There is a disconnect between what is actually put in by the treasurer
and what is actually shown in the (Secretary of) State's (Election report).
There is a computer clinch. That is why I am, as an officer, reacting and
asking for more of a paper trail, for better understanding of what is
happening. So we can be in the know, in case of any type problems. We need
to know how much longer this problem is continuing to go on.

Or has it been corrected?  JH: I haven't experienced a single problem. BB:
We talked about this in the past.  MD: as a member of the executive
committee, I have a fiduciary responsibility to oversee, and the Hartford
Chapter, would like a physical copy to see what you put in.  JH: whatever I
copy comes off the same exact site as you would go to and copy.  JH: I can
send you the URL.  MD: I am making a request for a physical copy of
information.  JH: it is public information. MD: as a member of the executive
committee and as a member of the Hartford chapter, I would like a physical
copy. Is it possible that you could send me such an item?  JH: JH: I don't
have the time or the money or the printing ink.to do it. It is multi pages
long. What I would give you is the same exact thing that I would get off the
computer.  MD: I wanted to check what you are putting on it is what is on
the report (in the Secretary of State's election office). JH: I gave you the
URL at the EC meeting in the Hartford office. MD: You did not.

  TM: Can you send it electronically? As a matter of routine, are you
sending the reports to all executive officers, Kelly and Aaron?  JH: not at
all. It is a mandatory filing that is done electronically. There is a URL
that goes along with it for anyone to look at it.  TM: I think it would be a
good practice, whoever is the treasurer, whoever is the executive is, to
routinely copy that to executive committee. JH: it is too long. It is 20-30
pages. I'd be happy to bring in the whole file in. TM: is it too long to do
as an attachment to be sent electronically? JH: you got to a URL for the
state of CT, and click on copy and print. JH: it is a matter of public
record. MD: you could send me the URL but I like a physical copy of what you
have been sending to them and what is on the website. I do not think that is
an unusual request.  JH: If you want the state to pay me for printer ink and
paper.  MD: that is up to you.

  FB: what format do you submit to the state?  JH: electronic.  FB: could
you provide this information also email it to the executive committee at the
same time it is being sent to the state?  JH: absolutely. FB: Mike is
suggesting that there is a problem with the state site.  BB: this has been
going on for at least 2 years that I am aware of. FB: what I am suggesting
is that you "CC" the executive committee. JH: I see what you are saying. It
does not come that way. You must go to the site. You must plug in to the
state of CT site. It is not a document. It is not an attachment. You have go
to the site and plug in the Green Party. You must put in for each
transaction that is required to be reported by campaign finance laws. It is
labor intensive.

   TM: Could this potentially leave us or any political party in some loop
where we submit something and there is a dissparance between those two. You
can say "I typed in those numbers" but you don't have an actual physical
copy at the end? JH: at end you have a copy.. At the end of putting in each
entry. I have a copy for each transaction.  There can be hundreds of copies.
MD: if you could send it to me or get it to me a physical copy in some
manner, I would really appreciate it. JH: yeah. I could fax or scan.

   BB: Chris had to go (to the State elections office) and actually talk to
them and show them the documents to show them the actual discrepancy between
what he was putting in and what the state was showing. Somehow, the State
tolerated it. Is their computer system so old or.. JH: it is the software.
I have not experienced any problems at all. BB: have you checked with what
they have.  JH: Yes. Absolutely. MD: Can you make a commitment to providing
me with the report when you make it later on this week?  JH: absolutely. I
can give it to you when I submit it. And I'll give you the exact same
address I gave you at the last EC meeting.

  MD: I also asked for the towns which each of the donators gave. I'm
wondering about these (Hartford chapter) totals here (in treasurer's
report).  I asked for that six (6) months ago. You sent me the donors. I was
not interested in that. I was interested in what towns they were from. JH:
do you have Excel?  MD: you sent me Mr. Jones sent $5.oo a month, Mr. Smith
sent  $10.00 a month.  JH: it was sent by email. BB: we cannot identify
where in CT they came from or if they are in the state of CT. MD: there were
about 30 people on the list. Depending where they lived would affect the
chapter balances. JH: that information can be garned from the State website.
MD: donation sites should be part of the report are they not? So could you
send that to me. JH: absolutely. Be warned: each item is a separate entry.
.

      6.     Review and approval of minutes of 9-27-05 SCC meeting: deferred
due to lack of quorum.

B.	Reports:

1. Chapter reports:

New Haven: Allan Brison: I have been helping Joyce Chen by doing an op end
piece.(Joyce is Democratic New Haven alderperson and former Green
alderperson). New Haven GP is not fielding any candidates for alderperson.
Eric Brown, GP candidate for New Haven mayor: Advocate newspaper found out
he owes $7,000 in back taxes.  He did not participate in a mayoral debate
last week because he was on a cruise which was planned from last year.
Eric's running allows GP to maintain ballot access. Conclusion: may need to
vet/know more about our candidates prior to endorsing them. Guilty Party
lost its ballot status for mayor.

Hamden: Francis Braunlich: incumbent state representative  was defeated in
primary. Democrats found an Afro-American, to run against Kelly McCarthy,
CTGP. They are a group of Democrats for McCarthy who are supporting her.
Also have been working on the toxic site at Hamden Middle School. Next
chapter meeting: 10-27-05. Kelly's district: southern section of Hamden.
Kelly is known to the Newhall Association.

Greater Hartford: Mike DeRosa: David Ionno is running for Hartford Board of
Education and has been endorsed by: ACME, Central Labor Council and
Teachers' Union. He had attended most of the Board of Education meeting for
years as he had 3 daughters who graduated from Hartford (public school
system) and still has a daughter who is a freshman in high school. Has
participated in debates and gotten some press. He does teach ways to resolve
conflicts without shooting and does counter recruitment in the school
system. Was a Vietnam War medic. Greater Hartford's office is open 5-6 days
a week with lending media library supported by the Clash Collective. Chapter
runs Friday movies and events/meetings.

New Britain: Mike DeRosa: Miquel Nieves, CTGP mayoral candidate had a car

Touring/honking event which was well received. Miguel is perceived as a
Latino

Candidate as his ethnicity is Puerto Rican.  Has an office: doing events,
movies. Allan Brison: is there more known about Miguel's support of law and
order?   MD: I don't know more than you do. Need to work with your GP
candidate regarding what are Green values.  BB: need to do active listening
to what the

Candidate saying and what the candidate is actually trying to communicate.
Miguel would be the best person to address your questions/concerns. DUP
hearing regarding distribution was rescheduled.

Northwest: Judy Herkimer: we meet 2 times a month: split our meeting between
Torrington location then 2 weeks later in Cornwall. Still working on
developing tabling kits and gifts to every chapter. Now that there is actual
money to back the chapters, we might be able to do things. We have looked
into getting tables, chairs, tents, vendor kits, vendor tents, big banners
for state to pay for this.

If anyone has the number for where to get high numbers of these things in
bulk, let us know. JH: the Green Party brought a button making kit that was
housed at the Hartford office. What happened to it?  BB: we do not have a
button making kit.  Greater Hartford has no reason to use a button making
kit as one of our members does that for her business and takes care of that
for us. We have no kit.  MD: Donnelly Cole does buttons. AB: Aaron and Kelly
have been making buttons. BB: we (CTGP) also purchased aluminum tables and
banners for the chapters (New London, New Haven, among others), in 2000 and
no one knows where they are or MD: where our donated tape recorder is
either.  I know New Haven was using it. TM: Michael Burns had a button
machine.  BB: over the years we have acquired professionally make and
donated banners from our (Greater Hartford) members. I have distributed them
out. Sometimes they come back and sometimes they stay out there. As long as
it is being used that is great.

    BB: how it this to work. Northwest gets

JH: Cliff Thorton, considering running for governor as a Green: spoke to the
chapter. General Discussion: Cliff needs to round out his position(s) on
other issues/concerns in addition to relating how drug war focus can relate
to most major issues of concerns. Tom Sevingy: running for Canton Board of
Finance.

    Judy advised that a registered Green Party person advised her that
his/her

party designation was removed by the town register of voters because, CTGP
lost state-wide ballot access (i.e. got less than 1% of vote for any
state-wide office in last election.  CTGP did not run a candidate for state
office, then.)  Judy contacted someone in State Elections office, who
confirmed this.   BB: What state statute prohibits a registered CT voter
from designating a party affiliation? JH: reaffirmed what state elections
official told her.

2. U.S. Green Party representatives' report by Tim McKee. (Thomas Sevigny
was absent): GPUS to put on first forum re:    Divestiture of investments in
Israel; concerns re: is always anti-Israel; vote will be from 11-11-05
through 11-16-05. No other proposals.

3. Women's Caucus report: Judy Herkimer: Modified Consensus process training
starts on 11-13-05, 10am to 4pm (tentatively) at Kent Town Hall. Time and
location are at the request of the trainees as they have to travel 2hours
from New York. Site holes about 100 people. Training is limited to those
people who have facilitated 2 SCC meetings in the past.  Participators and
observers can

Interact in the training, as time allows.  Observers are those people who
did not facilitate two (2) SCC meetings in the past.  MD: this re-training
of the

Trainers seems to be a catch 22 i.e. you cannot be trained if you have not

Been a facilitator in 2 prior SCC meetings and only those people chosen in
the past to be facilitators can continue to be potential facilitators.  JH:
reaffirmed qualifications needed to be trained as facilitator.   When will
other

CTGP members, who have not facilitated 2 prior SCC meetings, we trained?
JH:

       MD: can you provide a date? Goal date?  JH: will do if you can
provide a specific date.   BB: Of the potential 15 people to be re-trained,
only 5 of 14 state chapters are represented. Could the 11-13-05 training be
opened up to at least one representative of each state chapter to honor
fairness and diversity

and 10 Key Values within the CTGP? JH: no.  BB: did the Women's' Caucus ever
entertain any other qualifications for modified consensus process training?
JH: no.  BB: Did the Women's' Caucus consider any way to screen/ allow for
broader chapter representation at this training, to respect diversity,
fairness and 10 Key Values within our party?  JH: no response and left
meeting as it was 9pm.

BB: The Women's' Caucus proposal which was approved at 4-26-05 SCC meeting,
did not indicate that the training would only be limited to CTGP members who
previously facilitated 2 SCC meetings.  Since this was not implied or
explicit

In the 4-26-05 proposal, it was not agreed that this was a qualification for

Inclusion or exclusion from training.  FB: let it be. AB: training must be
provided for participation for everyone i.e. open

4. (5 minutes): V.O.T.E.R. report from Mike DeRosa on possible Pro-Se case
against State of CT.

5. (2 minutes): Strategy Committee.

6. (5 minutes): Election Committee: Getting Out The Vote (GOTV) for our
candidates in NOV.

C: PROPOSALS:

PRESENTER

Shoreline Chapter

CONTACT

SHORELINE CHAPTER

Lindsay Mathews, CO-CHAIR, 256 Shore Drive, Branford, CT 06405

(203) 488-3044

SUBJECT

Request for funding for mailing to Shoreline constituents.

BACKGROUND and PURPOSE

As a result of the information provided to us by the speaker from CCAG at
our June, SCC meeting, we would like to do a mailing and fundraising letter
to our constituents to update them on the struggle for publicly financed
elections in CT and to also use this mailing as a fundraiser.

PROPOSAL

We propose that the CT GP support this effort by funding this mailing.

The mailing to 250 people would include:

Copies:  $44.73 (includes tax)

    a double sided flyer of facts/info given to us by CCAG

    a cover letter from our Chair

Envelopes:  $23.90

    250, #10 envelopes      $7.36

    250, #6/3/4" envelopes    7.58

    Tax @ 6%                    8.96

Labels: $17.57

    250, 2" x 4"           $10.98

    Tax @                          6.59

Postage: $150.60

    250 at 60 cents each    $150.60

Total Cost of Mailing:  $236.77

Draft #1
CTGP Proposal Form
September 1, 2005

PRESENTER (committee, chapter(s) or group of individuals) Hamden Chapter,
Northwest Chapter

CONTACT (name, address, phone number, email) Judy Herkimer?

SUBJECT
Storage, cataloging and access to tape recordings of SCC meetings.

BACKGROUND AND PURPOSE (100 words or less; include relationship, reasons
and/or justification to the State Central Committee) We have established the
ability for the Secretary to tape record SCC meetings to assist in accurate
record keeping and transparency, but we have no procedure for storing,
cataloging and accessing said tape recordings.

PROPOSAL

1.Tape recordings will be made at all regular SCC meetings, and will be
announced at the start of each meeting.
2.These tapes will then be used by the Secretary to compose the meeting's
minutes.
3.The Secretary will be responsible for copying the tapes to digital format
and posting them to the archived minutes on the ctgreens.org website (when
this feature becomes available) within 1 month of the meeting.
4.The Secretary will then label, catalog and store the original tape in the
Hartford Chapter's office, or another designated location, so that they may
be checked out to individual party members. This should occur within one
month of the meeting.
5.The physical tapes and the dated catalog will be kept available for a
period of two years, at which time they may be recycled or reused.
6.The digital files will be maintained on the GPCT server for a minimum
period of 5 years, or until server space is needed, which ever comes first.

Proposal Draft #2
CTGP Proposal Form
September 1, 2005

PRESENTER  Hamden Chapter

CONTACT (name, address, phone number, email) Aaron Gustafson, 83 Treadwell
St. Hamden, 230.9726, aaron at easy-designs.net

SUBJECT (10 words or less)
Adopting new organization structure and goals for the GP of CT

BACKGROUND AND PURPOSE (100 words or less; include relationship, reasons
and/or justification to the State Central Committee) After holding several
state-wide planning sessions, we feel the proposed changes in our
organizational structure and the inclusion of specific goals as outlined
below and as further decided upon in Committees will benefit the GP of CT.

PROPOSAL (200 words or less)
The GP of CT should adopt a formal organizational structure (including
goals, and allowing for occasional Committees that will not function as
"standing," but will convene as the need arises) as follows:

MEDIA COMMITTEE (MC): Aaron Gustafson, Co-chair
      Implement press release dissemination system
        Explore alternative media outlets
        Letters to the editor/op-ed team
        Develop & maintain newsletter, email lists, listservs, websites and
blogs
        Work w/ ELC on candidate/campaign support
        Work w/ LC on legislation support

LEGISLATION COMMITTEE (LC): Mike DeRosa, Co-chair
        Research three issues for candidates @ each level:
local/state/federal
        Develop CTGP platform & position papers for candidates
        Educational campaign for 2005/06: IRV
        Research & support referendums
        Work w/ MC on current legislation activity
        Work w/ ELC on platform development

ELECTIONS COMMITTEE (ELC): Kelly McCarthy, Co-chair
      Identify good races & groom candidates to achieve electoral goals
      Electoral Goals 2005: 10 Local candidates
      Electoral Goals 2006: 1 Statewide candidate; 5 State candidates (State
Senate or Rep.); 2 U.S. Rep candidates; Candidate for Secretary of the State
      Keep track of deadlines for petitions and paperwork
      Develop sliding scale funding formula for endorsed candidates
      Research endorsements
      Organize candidate workshops
      Publish a state-wide resource directory for candidates by 2006
        Work w/ LC on platform development
        Work w/ MC on candidate/campaign activities

FUNDRAISING COMMITTEE (FC): Judy Herkimer, Treasurer
      Implement fund raising plan
      Research & produce merchandising (according to budget)
      Provide tabling kits for all chapters
      Implement endorsement funding for all candidates on sliding scale
      Work w/ ELC, LC, MC on fund raising activities & monitor goals

INTERNAL COMMITTEE (IC): Barbara Barry DeRosa, Secretary
        Overhaul & maintain bylaws
      Develop & implement budget (w/ Treasurer & FC)
      Organize yearly internal elections
      Create & maintain approved proposal reference book for EC (include
proposal & date, divided into procedural, endorsements, financial & other)
      Maintain SCC Reps' voting record
      Monitor registration goals w/ FC, ELC, LC, MC (increase Greens by
10%=250 people by end of 2006)

Guidelines for Member Involvement
Each individual should:
1. Assess personal strengths & interests 2. Estimate your weekly
availability & time commitments 3. Choose the one Committee
(Media/Legislation/Elections/ Fund raising/Internal) that suites you best 4.
Commit to focusing on that Committee's tasks & goals 5. If your availability
changes, inform your Committee as soon as possible, so that your duties may
be reassigned