Fw: {news} [usgp-coo] GP-US Proposal Results: ID 247 - Local ReferendaResolution for Divestment and Right of Return

Green Party-CT greenpartyct at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 12 16:35:56 EDT 2006

Folks,

  I will address this issue this ONE time on here and wish people would post comments on the FORUM where it belongs.

  Few things have been as divsive as the Middle East TO the Green Party. Our National Platform has very strong statements that many people, (many Green people) claim says one thing or another about the Middle East.

  This state party has suffered outrageous statements because outside people do not like it..one way or another..too strong..not strong enough.

  Horton-Scheff claimed she left the party because we spent too much time on the issue. Nader was attacked over and over on the issue.

  Many, many National Greens ABSTAINED on this vote (24..one of the largest totals i have ever seen!) with 15 voting no.,,So in effect 39 against or Not for the vote and 38 for..not a clear consensus at all!

  Questions- How do we discusss these issues and not offend, or drive away possible members?

  Give our past history of fighting and agrueing on the issue..what would make a new discussion different? Who would lead it? Could we get any thing CLOSE to consenus?

  I would welcome constructive suggestions to the FORUM list serve for after the elections meetings.

  Tim McKee
  CT National Committee

  ctgp-forum at ml.greens.org

  stine McCabe <justinemccabe at earthlink.net> wrote:
  Connecticut Green Party - Part of the GPUS
http://www.ctgreens.org/ - http://www.greenpartyus.org/

to unsubscribe click here
mailto://ctgp-news-unsubscribe@ml.greens.org         Tim and Charlie,
  I very much appreciate your new resolve to inform us about proposals coming before the NC.  However, the point of my earlier post was to urge you  to inform us before the vote-- not after you have already voted-- so that you can receive the imput from your GPCT constituents upon which your vote will presumably be based.

  In that I remind you of the enormous frustration we all feel when our US congressional representatives vote against the wishes of the majority of Americans who oppose the war in Iraq, want single payer health insurance, and US compliance with the Kyoto treaty (among others).  As far as I know, I am the only person who expressed an opinion on Proposal 247 (in the affirmative).  How is it that you both voted NO without taking that into account, or presenting the pros and cons of the issue, or of soliciting the opinions of other GPCT members?   For example, I would like you to explain what is "lopsided" about this proposal.

  Given the GP's intention to be grassroots-based, "open and transparent,"  I understand your responsibility to your constituents as representatives to the NC does not mean that you are simply empowered to vote your personal opinion but to solicit the wishes of your GPCT constituents on the issues coming before the NC and to vote according to that imput.

  I look forward to learning in advance about new GPUS proposals in advance of the vote as well as your  solicitation of our
  views on them.

  Regards,
  Justine McCabe

Connecticut Green Party - Part of the GPUS
http://www.ctgreens.org/ - http://www.greenpartyus.org/

to unsubscribe click here
mailto://ctgp-news-unsubscribe@ml.greens.org

Dear Green Folks,
Many, many Greens voted no or abstained from this proposal. Both Charlie and I voyed against it. I feel it was too lopsided, but you may read the whole proposal on the link below.

If you feel you would like to dicuss this.. the forum is the place to do so..not the newslist serve.. (posting to both sites).      >>> ctgp-forum at ml.greens.org. <<<<

Tim McKee

voting at gpus.org wrote:   Date: 9 Oct 2006 07:05:02 -0000