{news} Richard Duffee in Westport News

David Bedell dbedellgreen at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 15 18:48:52 EDT 2006

http://www.westport-news.com/ci_4329398

Duffee on Ballot for Shays' Seat
By Michael C. Juliano (mjuliano@ bcnnew.com)

Westport News, 9/13/06

Stamford resident Richard Duffee has officially put himself on the ballot
for the seat of U.S. representative for the state's Fourth Congressional
District, having collected more than the required 3,100 certified
signatures.

Duffee, a retired lawyer, poet and teacher, is throwing his hat into the
ring with Westport Democrat Diane Farrell and Greg [sic] Maymin, a Greenwich
Libertarian, to challenge 10-term Republican incumbent Christopher Shays.

In his first entrance into Connecticut politics, Duffee said his campaign
will not focus on the Iraq War, unlike those of Shays and Farrell, but on
reforming United States' foreign policy.

"Our capacity to indulge ourselves in fraudulent fiascos like the invasion
of Iraq has deep roots in our political culture," he said in a statement.
"If we do not examine in detail all the behavior that led up to the
invasion, then even if we promptly withdraw from Iraq, we are overwhelmingly
likely to make errors just as serious in our dealings with Iran, Syria,
Palestine and Lebanon."

Concerning Duffee's candidacy, Farrell said, "I look forward to the
Democratic process and I welcome all candidates to become part of the
debates."

Duffee said he has called for closure of the Guantanamo detention center and
strict observance of international law and supports immediate ratification
of the Kyoto Protocol to stop global warming and serious multilateral
disarmament negotiations. He said he also advocates full endorsement of the
International Criminal Court and impeachment of President Bush and Vice
President Cheney.

Duffee is entering one of the country's most watched races one that many
speculate will also be among one of the closest races this November, which
the Cook Political Report is calling "a toss-up" between Shays and Farrell.

Michael Sohn, Shays' spokesman, said he welcomes the challenge.

"Chris looks forward to debating with him and all of his challengers this
fall," he said.

Duffee ran for the school board in the 1980s and has volunteered on the
campaigns of several Democratic and Green Party candidates.

Maymin said voters have a choice between coercion and freedom

"There may be four candidates, but there's only one choice," he said. "You
can either live life being controlled by government by voting for Farrell,
Duffee or Shays, or you can live your own life free of coercion by choosing
me."

Whatever the case may be, Secretary of the State Susan Bysiewicz said, "The
more candidates we have for public officials, the more choices citizens have
to choose the candidates who best represent their ideals and beliefs."