{news} The Skinny on Press

clifford thornton efficacy at msn.com
Sat Sep 23 20:49:18 EDT 2006

Hey Greens and friends!

When we look back at the CT 2006 gubernatorial election, we can mark
Saturday, Sept. 23 as the start of a new era for third parties. Cliff
and I were quoted in at least 10 newspapers, from the front page of the
Hartford Courant to the Connecticut Section of the New York Times and
almost everywhere in between. Being left out of the debates seems a
Pyrrhic victory - we lost on access to free air time but we won on press
coverage.

Front Page of the New Haven Register (reg required). They probably
printed this in Torrington, Middletown, Bristol, and New Britain.
http://www.nhregister.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=17236733&BRD=1281&PAG=461&dept_id=31007&rfi=6<http://www.nhregister.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=17236733&BRD=1281&PAG=461&dept_id=31007&rfi=6>

Front Page Above the fold in the Hartford Courant:
http://www.courant.com/news/local/hc-govdebate0923.artsep23,0,4394535.story?coll=hc-headlines-local<http://www.courant.com/news/local/hc-govdebate0923.artsep23,0,4394535.story?coll=hc-headlines-local>

Lead Page on CTNewsjunkie.com:
http://ctnewsjunkie.com/index.php/2006/09/22/minor_parties_left_out_of_debates<http://ctnewsjunkie.com/index.php/2006/09/22/minor_parties_left_out_of_debates>

AP Story ran in the Waterbury Republican, New London Day, and CT Post,
and probably more that I can't get my hands on.
http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/news/local/state/hc-22185828.apds.m0349.bc-ct--connsep22,0,6514467.story?coll=hc-headlines-local-wire<http://wwwstamfordadvocate.com/news/local/state/hc-22185828.apds.m0349.bc-ct--connsep22,0,6514467.story?coll=hc-headlines-local-wire>

Although I can't figure out what happened with the CT Post's Ken Dixon's
interview from yesterday - perhaps it will run Sunday. He's the one who
broke the news to Cliff and I.

Genghis Conn over at CTLocalPolitics put our response on his front page,
too:
http://connecticutlocalpolitics.blogspot.com/2006/09/thornton-campaign-on-debates-green.html<http://connecticutlocalpolitics.blogspot.com/2006/09/thornton-campaign-on-debates-green.html>
Be sure to read the comments here to get an idea of what our critics say
and to see how we are viewed.

Keith Phanuef at the Manchester Journal Inquirer led that paper's
website with this gem:
http://www.journalinquirer.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=17236343&BRD=985&PAG=461&dept_id=161556&rfi=6<http://www.journalinquirer.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=17236343&BRD=985&PAG=461&dept_id=161556&rfi=6>

And just in case that was all insufficient, we are in the CT Briefs
section of the New York Times today as well. While their news is a day
late, dammit, we're quoted in the Old Grey Lady:
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/23/nyregion/nyregionspecial2/24ctweek.html?_r=1&oref=slogin<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/23/nyregion/nyregionspecial2/24ctweek.html?_r=1&oref=slogin>
This may also be a registration required story, too. If people want me
to resend the reg required stories, I'll be glad to.

So for those who keeping track of additional media appearances, Green
Party opinion was on the WNPR hourly news lead all night last night, was
mentioned on Colin and Bruce on 1080AM, Cliff was on 1080 again this
morning, and tv stations mentioned Greens were angry at being excluded:
http://www.wtnh.com/Global/story.asp?S=5445589&nav=3YeX<http://www.wtnh.com/Global/story.asp?S=5445589&nav=3YeX>

We have to follow this up with large scale peaceful protests at the
debates to show the two exclusionary political parties that we deserve a
place at the debates. Join us.
--

Peace,

Ken Krayeske

Campaign Director

Thornton for Governor

P.O. Box 1971

Manchester, CT 06045

860-995-5842

*This message is paid for and approved by Thornton for Governor, Max
Wentworth, Treasurer*

 the