{news} NEWS RELEASE: Thornton Announces Running Mate

ken krayeske ken at votethornton.com
Mon Sep 18 12:02:28 EDT 2006

Thornton for Governor
For Immediate Release
Sept. 18, 2006

*Thornton Announces Running Mate*

*Jean M. de Smet of Windham Adds Electoral Experience*

/Hartford/ - At 2 p.m. on the north steps of the Connecticut State
Capitol on Monday, Sept. 18, Green Party gubernatorial candidate Cliff
Thornton will announce Jean M. de Smet of Windham as his running mate.

An electrician by trade, de Smet, 51, has run for First Selectman of
Windham. She experienced some success in 2005, when she collected 28
percent of the vote, besting the Republican candidate.

“After a long and exhaustive search, we determined that Jean was the
best person to represent the working people of the state of
Connecticut,” Thornton said. “I am confident that she will not only be a
great candidate, but the best Lt. Governor the state has ever had.”

Thornton’s campaign has filed the appropriate paperwork with the
Secretary of the State to place de Smet on the ballot.

The Lieutenant Governor must speak for the people, de Smet said.

“As Lieutenant Governor, I will represent the Voice of the People to the
Governor,” de Smet said. “Money plays too large a role in politics, as
we all know. Corporations, lobbyists, legislators and wealthy
contributors vie for the ear of the governor. The rest of us need a
presence in the governor’s office, and I will be that presence.”

de Smet, who is co-chair of the Connecticut Green Party, said her number
one priority would be closing the gap between rich and poor.

“I am a construction worker from the most economically depressed area of
the state,” de Smet said, noting that she also has a degree in English
from the University of Connecticut. “I will work to bring economic
equality to Connecticut by redirecting our priorities into job creation
and revitalizing our cities. We can provide good jobs while
simultaneously changing the direction of our state into a Green,
sustainable future which cares for everyone.”

For more information, contact campaign manager Ken Krayeske at
860-995-5842 or ken at votethornton.com

--

Peace,

Ken Krayeske

Campaign Director

Thornton for Governor

P.O. Box 1971

Manchester, CT 06045

860-995-5842

*This message is paid for and approved by Thornton for Governor, Max
Wentworth, Treasurer*