{news} Connecticut-----35 Years On, Is The Nation Winning?

clifford thornton efficacy at msn.com
Fri Aug 10 12:26:02 EDT 2007

This state cop has always been a block head.

35 Years On, Is The Nation Winning
http://www.courant.com/hc-bothsides0810.artaug10,0,2794955.htmlstory<http://www.courant.com/hc-bothsides0810.artaug10,0,2794955.htmlstory>

Should America continue the war on drugs that President Nixon launched more than 35 years ago? Advocates contend that narcotics tear apart American society and are to blame for a massive share of crime. Opponents say police campaigns against drugs are a waste of money, and blame the criminalization of drugs for creating a subculture of crime and violence. Police forces have shifted enormous resources into combating narcotics. Many police commanders in the country embrace the strategy, but some -- especially police retirees -- question it.

"After nearly four decades of fueling our nation's `War on Drugs' with over a trillion tax dollars and increasingly punitive policies, it is time to declare peace!

Our courts are choked with prosecutions of each new year's quota of 1.9 million arrests for nonviolent drug offenses. Our prison population quadrupled in 20 years - making building prisons our fastest growing industry; 2.3 million persons are currently incarcerated - far more per capita than any other country in the world.

Meanwhile, drug barons grow richer every year, terrorists amass fortunes from drug sales, and citizens continue dying on our streets. The result of this terrible war is that, today, illicit drugs are cheaper, more potent and far easier for our children to access than they were 37 years ago when I, as an undercover narcotics agent, first started buying heroin on our streets.

We must end this destructive and costly war and the drug prohibition philosophy it is based upon.

The police, judges, prosecutors and correctional officers of the 8,500-member organization Law Enforcement Against Prohibition know, when we ended alcohol prohibition in 1933, the next day Al Capone and all his smuggling buddies were out of business. They were no longer killing one another to control that lucrative market, no longer killing cops charged with fighting that useless war, no longer killing our children - caught in crossfire and drive-by shootings. LEAP understands that ending prohibition would do the same thing to the drug lords and terrorists around the world who currently reap the benefits of the $500 billion spent each year on illegal drugs.

Why are we are needlessly destroying the lives of America's youths? High schoolers say it's easier for them to buy illegal drugs than to buy beer or cigarettes. Beer and cigarettes are regulated commodities so children are carded for age when trying to buy them, but not when buying illegal drugs.

How many people do you know who were not caught but used illegal drugs when young, then went on to lead perfectly happy, productive lives? Many of those folks represent us in our federal and state governments. But for the 37 million arrested for nonviolent drug offenses, in the course of this war, that possibility is eliminated.

Other countries have better policies for combating drug abuse. Switzerland started a policy in 1994 in which they treat heroin users by giving them free government heroin. Clinics were set up in which heroin users could inject that drug up to three times a day under medical supervision. The outcomes: Not one overdose death, AIDS and hepatitis cut to the lowest per capita rate of all of Europe, crime cut by 60 percent, and in Zurich an 82 percent decline in new heroin users. When the drugs are free, dealers are no longer in the neighborhoods luring and enticing youngsters into picking up that nasty needle and becoming the next heroin statistic.

The law enforcers of LEAP know legalized regulation of drugs is a more efficient and ethical way to combat drug abuse than this policy of prohibition."

- Jack A. Cole, executive director of Law Enforcement Against Prohibition and a retired detective lieutenant with a 26-year career in the New Jersey State Police, including 14 years as an undercover narcotics officer.

"The Statewide Narcotics Task Force was established in July 1977 by the Connecticut legislature; its successes alone are reason enough to continue the fight and not give in to legalizing illicit drugs as some legalization advocates will suggest.

In the past 30 years the following are the drugs that SNTF has removed from the streets of Connecticut:

Cocaine: 3,060.73 kilograms; heroin: 65.86 kilograms; marijuana: 35,373.51 kilograms; crack: 62.39 kilograms; pills: 323,100; other: 2.95 kilograms. The street value of these drugs was $1,318,267,302.

In the past 30 years, the Statewide Narcotics Task Force has conducted 57,522 investigations, executed 12,594 search warrants and 9,001 arrest warrants, and seized 1,145 vehicles and $18,137,027 in cash.

The war on drug abuse in Connecticut has crossed all social barriers and has been directly related to violent crime within the state.

The U.S. Department of Justice's Drug Enforcement Administration booklet, "Speaking Out Against Drug Legalization," cuts through the fog of misinformation with hard facts. The 10 factual assertions, taken together, present an accurate picture of America's experience with drug use, the current state of the drug problem, and what might happen if America ever chooses to adopt a more permissive policy on drug abuse.

The legalization lobby claims that the fight against drugs cannot be won. However, overall drug use is down by more than a third in the past 20 years, while cocaine use has dropped by an astounding 70 percent. Ninety-five percent of Americans do not use drugs. This is success by any standards.

Fact 1: We have made significant progress in fighting drug use and drug trafficking in America. Now is not the time to abandon our efforts;

Fact 2: A balanced approach of prevention, enforcement and treatment is the key in the fight against drugs;

Fact 3: Illegal drugs are illegal because they are harmful;

Fact 4: Smoked marijuana is not scientifically approved medicine. Marinol, the legal version of medical marijuana, is approved by science;

Fact 5: Drug control spending is a minor portion of the U.S. budget. Compared to the social costs of drug abuse and addiction, government spending on drug control is minimal;

Fact 6: Legalization of drugs will lead to increased use and increased levels of addiction. Legalization has been tried before, and failed miserably;

Fact 7: Crime, violence and drug use go hand in hand;

Fact 8: Alcohol has caused significant health, social and crime problems in this country, and legalized drugs would only make the situation worse;

Fact 9: Europe's more liberal drug policies are not the right model for America;

Fact 10: Most nonviolent drug users get treatment, not jail time.

- Capt. Thomas Snyder, a veteran member of the Connecticut State Police and commander of the Connecticut Statewide Narcotics Task Force.
Copyright © 2007, The Hartford Courant<http://www.courant.com/>

Efficacy
PO Box 1234
860 657 8438
Hartford, CT 06143
efficacy at msn.com<mailto:efficacy at msn.com>
www.Efficacy-online.org<http://www.efficacy-online.org/>

"THE DRUG WAR IS MEANT TO BE WAGED NOT WON"

Working to end race and class drug war injustice, Efficacy is a non profit
501 (c) 3 organization founded in 1997. Your gifts and donations are tax
deductible