{news} Green Party appoint a justice of the peace?

edubrule edubrule at sbcglobal.net
Sun Aug 12 23:49:15 EDT 2007

Does anyone know anything about justices of the peace and how they're appointed?  The Connecticut Green Party received an inquiry on this (see below).
--Ed
  Hi Judy:  I'm Ed DuBrule of Hartford, a former secretary of the Connecticut Green Party.  I respond to inquiries, such as yours, to our website, www.ctgreens.org.
       I will get an answer to your question.  As I first step, tonight I'm sending e-mails to members of the Connecticut Green Party who may know about becoming a justice of the peace.
  (1) Forgive my ignorance, but what does a justice of the peace do?  I think they can marry people.  Anything else?
  (2) Are you a registered Green, and/or have you had any involvement with the Green Party, and/or do you know any Connecticut Greens?
  (3) Can you tell me anything about the process of becoming a justice of the peace?  Assuming that the Green Party (perhaps the New Haven chapter) was willing to sign a form, or make phone calls on your behalf, who would we be talking to?  Someone in New Haven City Hall?
  (4) Would an appointment as a justice of the peace be for life?
       Please respond to me at either greens at ctgreens.org or edubrule at sbcglobal.net
  --Ed