{news} Re: minor parties important change to Nov. 07 election calendar

David Bedell dbedellgreen at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 30 23:41:04 EDT 2007

See below for a change in the law which means we need to submit candidate endorsements by Sept 5 to Town Clerks for certain races in New London, New Haven, Hartford, Hamden, and Stamford. Endorsements of petitioning candidates can be submitted until Sept. 12, but we might as well submit them all together.  I submitted endorsements in New Canaan yesterday and will submit in Stamford tomorrow.  I've also posted the current list of candidates at http://www.ctgreens.org/2007candidates.shtml and I believe there will be at least one more nomination in New Haven.

I believe we are giving up the following ballot lines (i.e., if we wish to run for these offices in the future we will need to petition):
Windham First Selectman
Windham Board of Education
New Canaan First Selectman
New Britain Mayor
Meriden City Council
New Haven Board of Alders, Ward 19
Hartford Board of Education
Sprague Board of Education
Canton Board of Finance

As to WHY the legislature changed the law, I can only speculate. I think it has something to do with the major party primaries being on Sept. 11, and they didn't want a losing candidate in a primary to be filed the next day as the candidate of a minor party (Green, CT for Lieberman, Working Families, etc.).  Of course, people like Joe Lieberman or whoever loses this year's Bridgeport mayoral primary can still do that, but only if they do the work of collecting petitions. They can't make a deal to use a minor party's existing ballot line.

David Bedell