{news} Chicago to host National Green Party 2008 Convention

Clifford Thornton efficacy at msn.com
Fri Aug 31 09:45:22 EDT 2007

            August 2007

            News Headlines

      Chicago to host 2008
      National Green Party Convention

            Delegates from state Green Parties and caucuses in the party's National Committee completed their vote Tuesday, August 28th, with Chicago taking the lead over Detroit, Minneapolis, and Oakland.  Chicago's proposal can be read at http://www.greenconvention2008.com<http://www.democracyinaction.com/dia/track.jsp?key=120388279&url_num=1&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.greenconvention2008.com%2F>.  The convention will take place July 10 to 13, 2008.

            The Blackstone Hotel in Chicago has a storied political convention tradition. It's where many a political campaign set up headquarters during convention week. It was in "smoke-filled room" at the Blackstone where a deal was cut to end a deadlock that made Warren Harding the 1920 Republican nominee. And Eisenhower watched the 1952 Republican convention from his room at the Blackstone (the first time the networks covered a convention gavel-to-gavel). Over the years, it has hosted at least 12 presidents on their visits to Chicago.

            Just as Greens are working to rehabilitate that old style of politics, the Blackstone Hotel is also undergoing a process of top-to-bottom renewal. When it reopens later this fall, the Blackstone will be the most green-friendly hotel in the city, complete with a green roof.  And when it opens this Fall the Blackstone will be non-smoking and a union shop.

            One of the city's recognizable landmarks located in the heart of Chicago, the Chicago Theatre would be a spectacular setting for the convention. It would allow us to put the "Green Party" name on one of the most eye-catching, most photographed marquees in the city, and it's sure to be noticed by the thousands of residents and tourists alike.  The Chicago Theatre is located directly on transit lines, close to everything, and is one of the larger venues which we could pack with up to 3,600 enthusiastic delegates, observers and media. The Chicago Theatre is also a union shop.

            The combination of the world-class Blackstone Hotel and the historic Chicago Theatre will help the Green Party to attract celebrity guest speakers?not to mention the media?for our events and fundraisers.

            In 2006, the Illinois Green Party did what many pundits said was impossible. Greens got on the ballot in one of the worst states for ballot access. Green candidates broke through to the media to receive more coverage than ever, even earning the endorsements of several major newspapers throughout the state. And the Green candidate for governor, Rich Whitney, was the choice of more than 350,000 voters, 10% statewide, twice the percentage needed to establish the party for the next four years!
            We Will Run
            Green National Committee Proposal 305 the "We Will Run Resolution" passed with 113 yes votes, 10 no votes and 3 abstentions.

            The resolution states in part that the Green Party will be conducting a contested presidential nomination process and that we will be nominating a presidential ticket at our 2008 convention. It also resolves to strengthen our eventual ticket by generating and applying resources to ensure, among other things, that we will maximize the number of ballot lines on which our nominees will appear.
            Green Party to Appear on List of MLK Memorial Supporters

                  T. E Smith with Merchandise
                  Committee Co-Chair LaVerne Butler
                  at the Green Party Office.
                  photo: E. R. Citkowski Thanks to DC Statehood Green T. E. Smith, the Green Party will now be listed among the organizations supporting the Martin Luther King, Jr. memorial to be built on the National Mall in Washington, DC. "I felt that it was important that the Green Party provide tangible support for this project. People of Color, particularly Black People, are ignored and taken for granted by the two corporate parties - except on election day. The Green Party platform supports racial justice, the Democrats have not come out in favor of reparations for slavery, but the Green Party has supported reparations since 1998. The only way people will know about this is if we work together to support projects like the MLK Memorial".

                  According to memorial organizers, the Green Party of the United States is the only political party to date to have made a financial contribution to the project. For more information about the MLK Memorial go to: http://www.mlkmemorial.org/<http://www.democracyinaction.com/dia/track.jsp?key=120388279&url_num=2&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mlkmemorial.org%2F>

            US/Canadian Green Party
            SPP Counter Summit

            On Aug. 19th, a perfect late summer day in Ottawa, Canada, we joined our Canadian colleagues in a rally at the Parliament followed by a march to the U.S. and Mexican embassies to protest the Security and Prosperity Partnership (SPP) meeting of Bush, Calderon and Harper.  A meeting the mainstream media in the U.S. has totally blacked out.

            Later we attended the Council of Canadians Forum on the hidden consequences of the SPP Leaders summit in Montebello. More than 500 activist[S] heard Elizabeth May, Green Party of Canada leader, condemn the SPP and promote a vision of a more just and sustainable North America. In her talk she cited the ongoing changes in national environmental, health and labor regulations.  These changes increase the number of chemicals permitted, lower standards and quality of life in many areas, such as food security, air safety, environmental norms, health care and labor rights. For example, Canada is
            raising pesticide limits on hundreds of fruits and vegetables to merge its policies with the United States. And these changes are being made at the behest of transnational corporations. The SPP is about letting big businesses set their own rules and having the public bear all the environmental and health risks of a deregulated market.

            On August 20th the Canadian Green Party organized a counter summit at which the USGP was represented by Justine McCabe and Julia Willebrand, Co-chairs of the USGP International Committee. Justine brought greetings from USGP and informed the meeting of the USGP position in opposition to SPP.

            Julia was asked to present a US perspective on SPP. Since our Canadian colleagues are well aware of the dangers of a race to the bottom, they know that the SPP is about increasing corporate profits by limiting what governments can do to protect its citizens from corporate abuse. So as a cautionary tale, Julia presented a picture of the ongoing privatization of community resources and services occurring in the US.  As one example she cited the ever-increasing prison population and the concomitant growth of private prisons in the US as a dangerous precedent Canadians would wish to avoid and which SPP could make possible.

            Janet Eaton, GP Canada International Trade critic who first raised USGP member¹s awareness about the menace of SPP provided a vivid historical presentation of the initiation and development of SPP.

            Her power point presentation can be seen at:
            http://www.greenparty.ca/en/policy/documents/deeper_look_spp/dr_janet_eaton<http://www.democracyinaction.com/dia/track.jsp?key=120388279&url_num=3&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.greenparty.ca%2Fen%2Fpolicy%2Fdocuments%2Fdeeper_look_spp%2Fdr_janet_eaton>

            Since the SPP is not a formal treaty or agreement between countries but instead an ongoing dialogue¹, it is not accountable to legislative oversight. Despite the fact that high-level government meetings, which
            include CEOs of the largest corporations, have been held for three years, the mainstream media has rarely covered any aspect being planned and executed.  Since the U.S. public is kept ignorant of these plans for its future it is effectively removed from the decision-making process. The Green Party of the US must change that by bringing the fact of this dangerous descent into fascism to public awareness.

            For more information on SPP and ways to take action:

            "Behind Closed Doors: What they're not telling us about the Security and
            Prosperity Partnership (SPP)
            http://www.canadians.org/integratethis/backgrounders/guide/index.html<http://www.democracyinaction.com/dia/track.jsp?key=120388279&url_num=4&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.canadians.org%2Fintegratethis%2Fbackgrounders%2Fguide%2Findex.html>

            This cooperative effort by the US and Canadian Greens was publicly initiated by joint press releases highlighting that this collaboration not only furthers the national interests of both parties but as members
            of the Global Green movement, extends common Green values of social and economic justice,
            environmental sustainability, participatory democracy and nonviolence.

            National Green parties join forces to fight North American Union
            http://www.greenparty.ca/en/releases/16.08.2007<http://www.democracyinaction.com/dia/track.jsp?key=120388279&url_num=5&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.greenparty.ca%2Fen%2Freleases%2F16.08.2007>

            Canadian and US Green Parties blast secretive NAFTA-Plus trade-security deal
            http://www.gp.org/press/pr_2007_08_15.shtml<http://www.democracyinaction.com/dia/track.jsp?key=120388279&url_num=6&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gp.org%2Fpress%2Fpr_2007_08_15.shtml>

            This report prepared and presented by:
            Justine McCabe
            Julia Willebrand
            Co-chairs United States Green Party International Committee
            intcomm at gp-us.org<mailto:intcomm at gp-us.org>

                        Wear Your Poltics on Your Sleeve!
                        The Merchandise Committee is pleased offer an array of t-shirts, hats, totebags, buttons, embroidered patches and more. Check out our brand new union made baseball caps and our new Sunflower shirts with the four pillars on the back, en espanol. Get ready for fall campaigns with our brand new campaign kits and tabling kits. Available at http://www.gp.org/<http://www.democracyinaction.com/dia/track.jsp?key=120388279&url_num=7&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gp.org%2F>.

                        photo: DC Statehood Greens rocking GP Merchandise.
                        Photographer: T.E. Smith, DC Statehood Green Party

            Ballot Access

            Arkansas has only two months to collect signatures as time goes beyond the two month periodsignatures drop off the petition - it is vital that Arkansas get help to finish the job within the two month period. Saturday, July 28th was the start date for gathering signatures - they have until September 27th to gather signatures.

            The following States are currently collecting signatures to place the Green Party on the ballot:

            Arizona - 20449 needed, 5500 collected so far;
            Arkansas - 10000 needed, 7000 collected so far;
            Georgia - 44089 needed, 5000  collected so far;
            Montana - 5000 needed, 600 collected so far;
            North Carolina - 69734 needed, 14000 collected so far.

            Numbers from Richard Winger at Ballot Access News: http://www.ballot-access.org/<http://www.democracyinaction.com/dia/track.jsp?key=120388279&url_num=8&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ballot-access.org%2F>
                  <http://www.democracyinaction.com/dia/track.jsp?key=120388279&url_num=9&url=https%3A%2F%2Fsecure.democracyinaction.com%2Fdia%2Forganizations%2FGreens%2Fshop%2Fcustom.jsp%3Fdona%250A%250Ate_page_KEY%3D64>
                  Register Green. Vote Green. Give Green.
                  The Green Party does not accept corporate donations. We depend entirely on donations from people who are committed to building a powerful and progressive alternative to the two corporate parties.

                  We ask you to challenge corporate influence in politics by supporting the Green Party of the United States! Show your resistance to the status quo by enabling us to continue organizing and mobilizing for real change. Please help us get out our positive, progressive values to new communities, and to deepen our involvement where we're already anchored.

                  Support us today<http://www.democracyinaction.com/dia/track.jsp?key=120388279&url_num=10&url=https%3A%2F%2Fsecure.democracyinaction.com%2Fdia%2Forganizations%2FGreens%2Fshop%2Fcustom.jsp%3Fdona%250A%250Ate_page_KEY%3D64> and please consider becoming a sustainer (look for the recurring donation option).

                  Green Party online shopping just got easier! Visit our improved online store<http://www.democracyinaction.com/dia/track.jsp?key=120388279&url_num=11&url=https%3A%2F%2Fsecure.democracyinaction.com%2Fdia%2Forganizations%2FGreens%2Fshop%2Fshop.jsp%3Fstoref%250A%250Aront_KEY%3D4>.

                        Americans are ready for Change

                        America is ready for the Green Party's message. But we need your help in bringing the message to the American people!

                        Donate now to the Green Party

                         <http://www.democracyinaction.com/dia/track.jsp?key=120388279&url_num=12&url=https%3A%2F%2Fsecure.democracyinaction.com%2Fdia%2Forganizations%2FGreens%2Fshop%2Fcustom.jsp%3Fdona%250A%250Ate_page_KEY%3D64>

                        Make your friends GREEN with envy. Become a card-carrying Green today!

                              Buy Your Green Party Card Online
                              <http://www.democracyinaction.com/dia/track.jsp?key=120388279&url_num=13&url=https%3A%2F%2Fsecure.democracyinaction.com%2Fdia%2Forganizations%2FGreens%2Fshop%2Fcustom.jsp%3Fdonate_page_KEY%3D1434>(or download a PDF order form<http://www.democracyinaction.com/dia/track.jsp?key=120388279&url_num=14&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gp.org%2Fdocuments%2Fgreenpartycard.pdf>).

                        The latest, coolest item in the wallets of progressives is the personalized Green Party Card. For $36.00 a year* you can be a card-carrying Green. When you become an active supporter of the Green Party of the United States, you'll receive our spanking-new card, which shows the world that you stand committed to time-honored progressive values like liberty, equality, democracy, social justice, personal responsibility and focus on the future. In addition, you will receive a Green Party button and bumper sticker, a one-year subscription to Green Pages, plus all of the information you need to get involved and active as a Green. Half of your contribution will be shared with your state's Green Party. The Future is Green!

                        Order Your Green Party Card Online<http://www.democracyinaction.com/dia/track.jsp?key=120388279&url_num=15&url=https%3A%2F%2Fsecure.democracyinaction.com%2Fdia%2Forganizations%2FGreens%2Fshop%2Fcustom.jsp%3Fdonate_page_KEY%3D1434> Today

                        Federal law requires political committees to use their best effort to collect and report the name, mailing address, occupation and employer for each individual whose contributions exceed $200 in a calendar year. Contributions form the following individuals and entities are prohibited: corporations, labor organizations, national banks, government contractors, people under 18 years of age, and foreign nationals.

                        *$36.00 is roughly equivalent to the $1.00 paid for a one-year membership in the Populist Party of the 1890s. The Populist Party was a multiracial, progressive, grassroots third party of working people which agitated for many popular progressive reforms. The Green Party of the 21st century continues the Populist's fight for citizen empowerment and progressive reforms at all levels today.

                        DO NOT REPLY TO THIS E-MAIL
                        All comments, feedback and content suggestions should be sent to:
                        office at gp.org<mailto:office at gp.org>.

                        You've been reading Green Line, the monthly e-newsletter of the Green Party of the United States. Subscribe for free at gp.org<http://www.democracyinaction.com/dia/track.jsp?key=120388279&url_num=16&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gp.org%2F>.

                        Paid for by the Green Party of the United States