{news} more info on Chicago Convention 2008

Charlie Pillsbury chapillsbury at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 23:06:24 EDT 2007

On the first ballot, these were the first choice venues.  Chicago was
selected through IRV.

34 B5 - Berkeley
24 C1 - Chicago-July 10-13
23 M3 - Minneapolis
18 D9 - Detroit
8   C2 - Chicago-July 17-20

*Blackstone Hotel/Chicago Theatre*
If high-profile guest speakers, media coverage and an unmistakable *presence
* in downtown Chicago is what the Green Party wants from its 2008
convention, there is no better venue combination than the restored
Blackstone Hotel and the historic Chicago Theatre.

*DATES*

July 10-13, 2008
*BLACKSTONE HOTEL*

Most plenary meetings and breakouts will be held at the Blackstone Hotel.

The Blackstone Hotel is being completely renovated and will open in Fall.

Located right on Grant Park, with beautiful views of Lake Michigan and
Buckingham Fountain.

When it reopens, it will be a union shop.

It will be the "greenest" hotel in the city, complete with a "green" roof.

The hotel stands at the site where anti-war protestors clashed with police
during the 1968 Democratic Convention.

The Blackstone has a rich political history, and they are very excited about
hosting the Green Party convention!

*CHICAGO THEATRE*

Chicago Threatre, which holds 3,200 people, is where the nominating
convention and super rally will be held.

The Green Party name would appear on the most recognizable marquee in the
city.

It's located in the heart of a bustling downtown.

Chicago Theatre is a union shop.

*ILLINOIS GREEN PARTY*

In 2006, gubernatorial candidate Rich Whitney received 10% of the vote
statewide.

The success of the Whitney campaign was helped by a coordinated statewide
volunteer petition drive (collecting 37K signatures), a successful legal
defense to challenges by the Democrats, and an agressive media campaign that
got Whitney into the news, into polls and eventually into debates.

Thanks to the Whitney candidacy, the Illinois Green Party now has a
statewide established ballot line through 2010.

Our primary is Feb. 5, and several
candidates<http://www.greenconvention2008.com/candidates.shtml>have
already begun petitioning. A convention in Chicago will bring
attention
to more than a dozen candidates in 2008.