{news} (Manchester J.I.) LTE- Big Brother's Watching

Green Party-CT greenpartyct at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 11 15:31:06 EST 2007

January 11, 2007

  Dear Editor,

Big Brother's watching!

Happy New Year everyone - we've entered 1984.

I was discouraged to read the story about the arrest of Ken Krayeske after he photographed the governor during the inaugural parade. Apparently there is a watch list of political enemies that was distributed to Hartford police, which included his name and photograph. The reason he is on this list? He asked the governor a question she didn't want to answer at an event prior to the election.

I am sure that Gov. M. Jodi Rell will say she was unaware of such a list. She is unaware of so many things.

I am certain Krayeske is guilty - of having an opinion and the courage to express it, of standing up for what he believes in, of lacking apathy and complacency.

I am also sure he is not guilty of representing any physical harm to the governor, unless you include the discomfort of disclosing her motivation for refusing to debate a gubernatorial candidate.

Who else with an opinion is being "watched"? In a month when we celebrate another political activist, the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr., I can only say I would be honored to be included on such a list, and am saddened that we have come to this.

Donna Byrne-McKee
Manchester