{news} A grassroots national security paradigm: film 1/25 in Westport

David Bedell dbedellgreen at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 20 14:33:46 EST 2007

Following is a letter I sent to the CT Post, Stamford Advocate, and other
local papers:

The recent arrest of journalist-activist Ken Krayeske at Governor Rell's
inaugural parade is the latest in a growing series of government covert
actions that make modern life feel more and more like a spy thriller.
Krayeske's arrest brought to light the existence of a secret "suspicious
persons" list provided to state police by the little-known Connecticut
Intelligence Center.  Apparently Krayeske got on the list because he was
campaign director for Green Party candidate Cliff Thornton, and because he
criticized Rell for refusing to debate Thornton.

This list may or may not be the same as the Violent Gang and Terrorist
Organization File (VGTOF) maintained by the FBI.  The VGTOF has included,
among others, the American Friends Service Committee, a pacifist
organization.  And then there is the secret "no-fly" list which bans people
from airplanes based on their political affiliations.

These secret lists, we are told, are a necessary tool of law enforcement,
along with warrantless wiretapping and, as of last month, the opening of
sealed mail without court orders.

In Stamford, the police department, with support from the Board of
Representatives, is planning to install video surveillance cameras
throughout the city to monitor people's behavior in public places.  This is
already widespread in London and New York.

Secret lists, eavesdropping, hidden cameras.  And we also have midnight
deportations to secret overseas prisons ("extraordinary rendition"),
indefinite detention without trial at Guantanamo, and the use of approved
forms of torture to extract information.

Not very pretty.  And not very effective, either. How can these
heavy-handed, clandestine, and centralized methods of gathering information
keep up with a world of burgeoning print media, the Internet, cell phones
and digital cameras?

Perhaps we need  a new national security paradigm, based not on obscure
government operations but on the collective intelligence of an informed
citizenry.  Imagine, instead of J. Edgar Hoover and his G-men, a whole
society armed with cell phones and computers, combing publicly available
information sources and reporting their findings on blogs.  Imagine, instead
of a Central Intelligence Agency, a Citizen Intelligence Network. The young
hackers will run circles around the old spies.

This is the concept behind Open Source Intelligence, a movement founded by
former Marine and CIA officer Robert Steele. To learn more about the
movement, the Fairfield County Green Party will show and discuss a film
about Robert Steele, "Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Spying and
Intelligence," on Thursday, January 25, 7:00 PM at the Westport Public
Library.

We need to start treating bloggers like Ken Krayeske as a national resource,
not a national threat.

David Bedell
Stamford, CT