{news} Proposal: Amendment of State Party Affiliation Agreement Requirements

Green Party-CT greenpartyct at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 16 11:02:32 EDT 2007

Moving this discusssion to the forum:

  I think this proposal. (and it is just a proposal) is a well intented effort but not based in the releaity of most state parties day in and day out struggle to have keep up with the demand and pressures of being a national committ iee person.

  this is a unppaid postion that requires reading a ton of emails and lots of cmproimise.

  One state complained it had two femal delegte for years. now they have two males and will be punshished for it!!

  Tim M
  mcKee
  .
Michael Westerfield <westerfield at sysmatrix.net> wrote:
  Connecticut Green Party - Part of the GPUS
http://www.ctgreens.org/ - http://www.greenpartyus.org/

to unsubscribe click here
mailto:ctgp-news-unsubscribe at ml.greens.org
I suppose it is appropriate if we belong to and support the principals and
practices of the National Green Party that our state contribute to it
financially. I do wonder about the wisdom of giving a reduced rate to
"gender balanced" delegations. Send a woman, save $100!, sounds just a bit
condescending. Also maybe its time for us to review exactly what the
National Green Party is doing out there. Perhaps a presentation at the
annual convention on the subject might be in order.

Michael W.

> Connecticut Green Party - Part of the GPUS
> http://www.ctgreens.org/ - http://www.greenpartyus.org/
>
> to unsubscribe click here
> mailto:ctgp-news-unsubscribe at ml.greens.orgDiscussion has begun on the
> following proposal, and I would be interested in any comments you have
> about this proposal.
>
> Proposal ID: 267
> Proposal: Amendment of Affiliation Agreement Requirements
> Floor Manager: Sarah echo Steiner, ecostar at bellsouth.net
> Discussion Dates: 03/12/2007 - 03/25/2007
> Voting Dates: 03/26/2007 - 04/01/2007
>
> Background: The Green Party of the United States is funded from many
> sources,
> including private donations and regular giving, merchandising, meeting
> fees, etc. Most of these sources are not constant from year to year.
> An additional dependable and sustainable stream of revenue, even at a
> relatively modest size, would be of great value.
>
> More importantly, since participation in financial support of the GPUS
> is not universal among our affiliated state Green Parties, nor is it
> currently tied to affiliation, there is a divorce of accountability
> from affiliation. Financial support is key to ownership, and
> representation
> without taxation is contrary to the Key Values of personal and global
> responsibility and of future focus. We want our state affiliates to
> feel, and exercise, ownership of the Green Party of the United States.
> The fact of universal financial participation is, therefor, more
> important than the actual revenue achieved.
>
> Many factors affect a state GP's ability to support the GPUS, at even a
> base level, and some states bring added value with their delegations in
> ways that support the Key Values of feminism and respect for
> diversity. Therefor a fair system of affiliate support must include
> variations
> reflecting these realities and values. And Caucuses should be excused,
> because payment by their members would represent a doubled level of
> support, since Caucus members are all simultaneously members of state
> Green Parties.
>
> State GPs which found themselves burdened with extraordinary expenses
> incurred while meeting other affiliation criteria, like achieving
> ballot status, should have a fund from which to apply for assistance.
> Finally, support expectations should be proportional to the size of a
> state GP, and delegate size is a presumptively fair benchmark.
>
> Proposal: Currently the Bylaws provide:
> I. Criteria for State Party Membership in the Green Party of the United
> States.
> 1. Acceptance of the four pillars of the international Green Party
> movement [ecological wisdom, social justice, grassroots democracy,
> non-violence] or the Ten Key Values as guiding principles.
> 2. Organized and run in accordance with these values.
> 3. A statewide organization open to, and reflective of, a statewide
> [...]

    Tim McKee cell (860) 778-1304 or (860) 643-2282
   National Committee Member of the Green Party(Connecticut)