{news} Fw: USGP-INT EGP Resolution in support of US Greens

Justine McCabe justinemccabe at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 19 22:21:30 EDT 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: Justine McCabe
To: USGP International Committee
Sent: Friday, October 19, 2007 8:46 PM
Subject: USGP-INT EGP Resolution in support of US Greens

Dear all,

Last summer, Juan Behrend, Secretary General of the European Green Party attended our annual meeting in Reading, PA.  Like many European Greens, he had been somewhat skeptical about our claims that the 2004 election was fraudulent. However, in Reading he was able to learn in greater detail just how our stolen 2004 election was stolen, as well as how difficult it is for Greens/independents to compete in our duopolistic system (e.g., campaigns of Carl Romanelli and Ralph Nader).   Juan told me in Vienna that as a result of his experience in Reading, he returned to Europe hoping to find a way to support us.  Subsequently he spoke to Irish Greens Tommy Simpson and Lucille Ryan-Sullivan who were more aware of our situation. As a result, Lucille, an American-born delegate to the Council from the Irish Green Party, submitted the following resolution to the EGP Council which was passed without dissent in Vienna.

It was a great experience to be there to personally thank the European Greens for this lovely gesture in support of our party.  And it underscores the benefit of ongoing contact between our party and our international green brothers and sisters.

Best regards,
Justine

European Green Party
7th Council Meeting
Vienna, 12-14th October, 2007

DRAFT NORMAL RESOLUTION

The US Absentee Ballot for the US Greens

Tabled by Comhaontas Glass [Irish Green Party]

In addition to the 2009 European Election Campaign, there is another election campaign which is already underway.by one of the super powers on this planet -- the United States.

The Green Parties in the US are in need of whatever support the European Greens can provide.  They are faced, in some states, with Eastern European-like hurdles in order to register, in order to meet the criteria which are imposed on neither of its two party system parties, or which could easily be handled financially by the wealth backing those two major parties.  This motion is not proposed to give them money.  This motion asks that we galvanize US absentee voters to vote Green, who live in all of our EGP Member Parties countries.

This motion has three foci:  To determine the number and location of these eligible voters; to develop a cohesive Green message; to deliver this message to those American citizens residing in Europe, their Green options in an DL or A4 leaflet, which can be funded by the member parties, with cooperation where there is need by the smaller member parties.

The Greens of Comhaontas Glas marshalled the Italian Diaspora vote for Arnold Cassola in his successful bid for the Italian Parliament.  We can do it elsewhere, and aid the Greens in the United States.

Resolved:

That a group representative of all the EGP Member Parties investigate the means whereby the foci listed above can be accomplished; that they present the information to the EGP Council Meeting in Spring 2008; that the Council, based on the information submitted, support such action with minimal, if any, funds detracted from our own campaign goals.