{news} Commentary and Letters--Nader and McKinney

Clifford Thornton efficacy at msn.com
Sun Oct 21 14:16:10 EDT 2007

Commentary from David Eliscu and Cliff Thornton

I met Cynthia here in CT.  In my mind, the fact that she would
even consider running as a Green is a MAJOR MAJOR breakthrough for the
Party.  According to Cliff, some people have a problem with this. I
don't know why-- maybe because of traditional allegiance to Nader.  I
think this is a brilliant idea on Cliff's part-- to have a "friendly"
primary.

We owe Nader a tremendous debt.  He has taken so much shit
(forgive my French) from the Dems on being a spoiler (which I think is a
Cointel creation to deflect from the true issue- voter fraud by
disenfranchisement), and no acknowledgment of the incredible
contributions he has made to our country.  Yet, McKinney represents
everything that we need in the Party, not only as an African-American
and  as a woman, but as someone history will remember who stood up  to
the Bush junta before anyone else.  (If you haven't seen "American
Blackout," you must do so, especially to see Cynthia make Rumsfield
squirm.)

She is a true hero.  Her candidacy takes head on the issue of
disenfranchised voters and the using of the voting system to sabotage
her campaigns. If we don't suport someone of her courage and honesty,
what are we here for?

The big issue here will be (once again) the Zionist lobby who resent
her insistence on the rights of the Palestinians.  This faction of Jews ,
AIPAC, is  the one who mobilized to see her defeated in Georgia.
We have plenty of these in the GP, and, until we get  around
them, we will never move forward. So in addition to
"disloyalty" (to Nader), I'm sure we'll also face the mantra of
"anti-Semitism," both of which we need to anticipate and face head-on.
Anyway, that's my take.  What do you think?

 We'd appreciate it very much if you would circulate the two letters
(below) wide and far. That would give them a notion of our intent, which
is, on the one hand, to support the campaigns for nomination of
 both  Cynthia and Nader (should he decide to go for it); and on the
other  to smooth the way for a sturdy but non-acrimonious competition
between the two of them for the nomination.  What this also assures
is a fully unified campaign for the presidency following the Chicago
nominating convention.  As we see it, it is a win-win situation.

Dear Ralph,

We are heartened and delighted that you are considering a run for the
Green Party nomination for President. We note with excitement that
you have allowed your name to be placed on the primary ballot in
California. We feel that you would be an outstanding candidate and
would help the Green Party to grow swiftly. We note with excitement
your determination, if you run and are the candidate, to cross the 5%
vote threshold in November 2008.

We are fully aware that Cynthia McKinney intends to run for the Green
Party's nomination at our Chicago presidential nominating convention
next July.

 In thinking about this, we believe that having both of you in the
race constitutes a rare opportunity. Instead of seeing this as a zero
sum game in which there are winners and losers, we see this as a win-
 win prospect.

 In that light, we ask you to consider having a conversation with
Cynthia in which you propose that if either of you comes in first for
president, that person will choose the other for vice president.

 In this way, we can have a vigorous competition leading to the
convention in Chicago but without the acrimony that so often plagues
a party when two outstanding candidates are vying for the same office.

 In this way, as well, you and Cynthia can together move into a
powerful campaign after the convention with a fully unified party and
fully galvanized party filled with strong enthusiasm. Getting and
indeed surpassing the 5% threshold and more will be in the works. The
campaign will bring hope to millions that a better world is possible
- and that they can have a hand in making it happen.

 Thank you for giving this your earnest consideration and thank you
again for coming forward to consider running for President under the
Green Party banner.

 Sincerely yours,

 Cliff Thornton and John Rensenbrink [And a rapidly growing number of
Greens throughout the country].

Dear Cynthia,

 We are heartened and delighted by your decision to seek the Green
Party nomination for President. We feel that you would be an
outstanding candidate and would help the Green Party to grow swiftly.
We note with excitement your determination to cross the 5% vote
threshold in November 2008.

 We are fully aware that Ralph Nader is considering a run for the
Green Party's nomination at our Chicago presidential nominating
convention next July.

 In thinking about this, we believe that having both of you in the
race constitutes a rare opportunity. Instead of seeing this as a zero
sum game in which there are winners and losers, we see this as a win-
win prospect.

 In that light, we ask you to consider having a conversation with
Ralph in which you propose that if either of you comes in first for
president, that person will choose the other for vice president. We
are writing a similar letter to Ralph.

 In this way, we can have a vigorous competition leading to the
convention in Chicago but without the acrimony that so often plagues
a party when two outstanding candidates are vying for the same office.

 In this way, as well, you and Ralph can together move into a powerful
campaign after the convention with a fully unified party and fully
galvanized party filled with strong enthusiasm. Getting and indeed
surpassing the 5% threshold and more will be in the works. The
campaign will bring hope to millions that a better world is possible
- and that they can have a hand in making it happen.

 Thank you for giving this your earnest consideration and thank you
again for coming forward to run for President under the Green Party
banner.

Sincerely yours,

Cliff Thornton and John Rensenbrink  [and a rapidly growing number of
others throughout the country]

Efficacy
PO Box 1234
860 657 8438
Hartford, CT 06143
efficacy at msn.com<mailto:efficacy at msn.com>
www.Efficacy-online.org<http://www.efficacy-online.org/>

"THE DRUG WAR IS MEANT TO BE WAGED NOT WON"

Working to end race and class drug war injustice, Efficacy is a non profit
501 (c) 3 organization founded in 1997. Your gifts and donations are tax
deductible