{news} Fw: Call-in Day Action Alerts for Immigrant rights & to Stop the war in Iraq; [HOPE OUT LOUD FESTIVAL]

edubrule edubrule at sbcglobal.net
Fri Sep 7 22:48:52 EDT 2007

6-Story Newsletter Template + Images
----- Original Message -----
From: AFSC Connecticut
To: edubrule at sbcglobal.net
Sent: Wednesday, September 05, 2007 6:00 PM
Subject: Call-in Day Action Alerts for Immigrant rights & to Stop the war in Iraq

                                     American Friends Service Committee Connecticut

                                In This Issue:  Sept 5 2007

                                 .    Sept 6 and 7:National Call-in Days Against Immigration Enforcement-only policies

                                 .    Sept 6: National Call-in day to Tell Congress end the war in Iraq Now & No New war with Iran

                                 .    Sunday Sept 9: Sixth Annual Hope Out Loud Peace & Music Festival

                                Sept 6 and 7:National Call-in Days Against Immigration Enforcement-only policies

                                PRIORITY COMMUNITY ALERT

                                NATIONAL CALL-IN DAYS

                                American Friends Service Committee and Partners*

                                Invite Your Participation

                                Thursday September 6 & Friday September 7, 2007

                                Stop Immigration Enforcement-Only Policies

                                Take Action Now: The recently introduced Immigration Enforcement and Border Security Act of 2007 (S. 1984) focuses on punishing immigrant families, adding border fences, walls, and patrol agents, and increasing detention centers and deportations. In addition, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) finalized a new rule requiring employers who receive Social Security Administration (SSA) "no-match" letters to follow steps to prove that employees are authorized to work or risk liability. The policy misuses the letters, which are not intended for immigration enforcement, and could result in employment discrimination. Congress has received thousands of calls supporting enforcement-only measures that will harm immigrants and refugees. We must let Senate leaders know that this flawed legislation and DHS policy will not fix the out-of-date immigration system. Spread the word!

                                Call your Senator and Share this Action Alert!

                                On September 6th and 7th, use this toll free number 1-888-732-9404. Ask to be connected to your Senator's office and tell your Senator:

                                § Please say NO to S. 1984! - I urge you to oppose the Immigration Enforcement and Border Security Act of 2007 (S. 1984). More fences, walls, detention centers, agents and rounding up immigrants at their homes and workplaces are not the answer.

                                § Please SUPPORT Congressional oversight of DHS's SSA "no match" letter policy including employer liability for employment discrimination and the complaint process.

                                § Please say YES to constructive immigration reform that includes a path to permanent residency and citizenship, restores due process rights, stops the militarization of the southern border, and ensures humane policies that keep families together.

                                The toll-free number is provided courtesy of the American Friends Service Committee, a Quaker organization which works for social justice and peace (www.afsc.org/immigrants-rights/). AFSC welcomes groups to circulate and use the toll-free number in support of non-partisan goals and without linking the alert to a website soliciting donations or actions which may be used to support partisan lobbying or work. (This nonpartisan disclaimer must be included in publications of the toll-free number).

                                Don't Forget to Forward this Message! For more information contact Sara Ibrahim at sibrahim at afsc.org or 1-202-483-6839.

                                * Partners (In Formation): Center for Community Change; Chicago Workers Collaborative; Church World Service; Coalición de Derechos Humanos (AZ); Coloradans for Immigrant Rights; Colorado Immigrant Rights Coalition; Denver Justice and Peace Committee; Hebrew Immigrant Aid Society; Irish Apostolate USA; Mennonite Central Committee, Washington Office; National Network for Immigrant & Refugee Rights; New Mexico Colonias Development Council; Rocky Mountain Peace and Justice Center; Sisters of Mercy of the Americas; United Methodist Church, General Board of Church and Society; Unitarian Universalist Association of Congregations, The Workmen's Circle/Arbeter Ring.

                                AFSC AND PARTNERS NATIONAL CALL-IN DAYS TIPS

                                September 6 - 7, 2007

                                The purpose of these tips is to provide information on what to expect if you have not called Congress before. Please note that this is only an example and does not have to be read word for word.

                                1. Make sure you have the names of the Senators from your state. Consult the attached table.

                                2. Dial the toll-free number 1-888-732-9404. This number will connect you to the U.S. Capitol Switchboard. Remember to call between the hours of 9 am - 5 pm EST.

                                3. When the operator answers, you may as "May I please be connected to Senator ________'s (name of your Senator) office?

                                4. When you are connected to the office, a staff member will answer: "Hello, this is Senator ______'s (name of your Senator) office."

                                5. You should say your name, the city that you are from, and the reason you are calling. For example: "Hi, my name is (your name) and I'm calling from (name of your city and state). I'm calling to ask (your Senator) to oppose S. 1984, to endorse Congressional oversight of the DHS's SSA "no-match" letter policy, and to support constructive immigration reform that protects the rights and well-being of immigrants. Can you please make sure he receives my message?"

                                6. You may be asked for your address, telephone number or e-mail address. The purpose of asking for your information is to track constituent phone calls and to follow-up with you about the Senator's position on the subject. If you wish to provide this information, please state it for the staff member. If you do not wish to provide this information, you may say: "I do not wish to give my address. May I give you my city and zip code?"

                                7. If you wish to receive information you may ask: "Can you please mail or e-mail me the Senator's position on this issue?" Finish by thanking the staff member for taking the call and let her/him know that you will be monitoring the Senator's action on this issue.

                                8. Repeat this process for your other Senator.

                                THANK YOU FOR YOUR PARTICIPATION AND FOR ADDING YOUR VOICE!

                                ALERTA COMUNITARIA

                                DIAS NACIONALES DE LLAMADAS

                                El Comité de Servicios de Amigos Americanos y sus Afiliados*

                                Invitan Su Participación

                                Jueves 6 de septiembre y viernes 7 de septiembre del 2007
                                Pare las medidas abusivas de regulación inmigratoria

                                Tome Acción Ahora: El Decreto de la Imposición de Regulaciones Inmigratorias y Seguridad Fronteriza del 2007 (S. 1984), recientemente introducido al Senado, penaliza a las familias inmigrantes. Adicionalmente, la nueva regla finalizada por el Departamento de Seguridad Nacional (DHS por sus siglas en inglés) ordena a los empleadores que reciben cartas "no-coincidentes" de la Administración de Seguridad Social (SSA por sus siglas en inglés) de seguir ciertos pasos para comprobar que sus empleados están autorizados para trabajar, y así evitar repercusiones legales. Tenemos que informar a los líderes del Senado que la actual legislación es inadecuada, y que la nueva política del DHS no reformará nuestro sistema inmigratorio obsoleto. ¡Comunique la noticia!

                                El 6 y 7 de septiembre, utilice el número gratuito

                                1-888-732-9404 para llamar a su Senador.

                                Pida que lo comuniquen con la oficina de su Senador y dígale a su Senador:

                                § Por favor diga NO a S. 1984: Le pido que se oponga al Decreto de la Imposición de Regulaciones Inmigratorias y Seguridad Fronteriza del 2007 (S. 1984). Más cercas, paredes, centros de detención, agentes y persecución de los inmigrantes en sus hogares y lugares de empleo no son la respuesta.

                                § Por favor APOYE la supervisión Congresal de la política propuesta por el DHS de las cartas "no-coincidentes" de la SSA, incluyendo la responsabilidad del empleador por discriminación laboral y el proceso de queja por parte del empleado.

                                § Por favor diga SI a una reforma inmigratoria constructiva que incluya un camino hacia la residencia permanente y la ciudadanía, que restaure el derecho a un proceso legal íntegro, que pare la militarización de la frontera sur, y que asegure una política compasiva que mantenga unidas a las familias.

                                El número gratuito es cortesía del Comité de Servicios de Amigos Americanos (AFSC por sus siglas en inglés), una organización cuáquera que trabaja por la justicia social y la paz. (www.afsc.org/immigrants-rights/). AFSC invita la diseminación del número a otros grupos con fines no-partidarios, y sin ligar esta alerta a una página web que invite donaciones o acciones que puedan ser utilizadas para apoyar trabajos partisanos o de lobby. (Esta renuncia partidaria debe ser incluida en cualquier publicación del número gratuito). Para más información contacte a Sara Ibrahim (sibrahim at afsc.org) o al 1-202-483-6839.

                                *Lista de afiliados (En elaboración): Center for Community Change, Chicago Workers Collaborative; Church World Service; Coalición de Derechos Humanos (AZ); Coloradans for Immigrant Rights; Colorado Immigrant Rights Coalition; Denver Justice and Peace Committee; Hebrew Immigrant Aid Society; Irish Apostolate USA; Mennonite Central Committee, Washington Office; National Network for Immigrant & Refugee Rights; New Mexico Colonias Development Council; Rocky Mountain Peace and Justice Center; Sisters of Mercy of the Americas; United Methodist Church, General Board of Church and Society; Unitarian Universalist Association of Congregations, The Workmen's Circle/Arbeter Ring.

                                Estas sugerencias son para proveer información a aquellos quienes nunca han llamado al Congreso, y no necesariamente tienen que ser leídas palabra por palabra durante la llamada.

                                1. Asegúrese de tener en mano los nombres de ambos senadores de su estado. Puede consultar la tabla adjunta. Marque el número sin cargo 1-888-732-9404 para conectarse con el operador del Capitolio. Favor llamar entre las horas de 9 am y 5 pm EST.

                                2. Cuando conteste el operador, pregunte: "May I please be connected with Senador ___'s (nombre de su senador) office? (Por favor, ¿me puede comunicar con la oficina del senador ___?)

                                3. Cuando lo comuniquen con la oficina, un empleado le contestara: "Hello, this is Senator (nombre de su senador) office." (Hola, esta es la oficina del Senador ______.)

                                4. Indique su nombre, su ciudad y la razón por la cual esta llamando. Por ejemplo: "Hi, my name is (su nombre) and I'm calling from (nombre de su ciudad y de su estado). I'm calling to ask Senator (su senador) to oppose S. 1984, to endorse Congressional oversight of the DHS's SSA "no-match" letter policy, and to support constructive immigration reform that protects the rights and well-being of immigrants. Can you please make sure he receives my message?" (Hola, mi nombre es (su nombre) y estoy llamando de (nombre de su ciudad y de su estado). Estoy llamando para pedirle al senador (nombre de su senador) que se oponga a S 1984, que apoye la supervisión del Congreso de la nueva política "no-match" del Departamento de Seguridad Nacional, y que apoye una reforma inmigratoria constructiva que proteja los derechos y el bienestar de los inmigrantes. ¿Puede asegurarse de que reciba mi mensaje?)
                                5. Puede que le pregunten por su dirección: "May I please have your address?" (¿Me puede decir su dirección por favor?), o por su dirección de correo: "May I please have your e-mail address?" (¿Me puede dar su dirección de correo, por favor?) El propósito de esto es para poder mandarle más información acerca de la posición de su Senador sobre el tema. Si prefiere no indicar su dirección, puede decir: "I do not wish to give my address. Can I give you my city and zip code?" (Prefiero no dar mi dirección. ¿Puedo dar el nombre de mi ciudad y mi dirección postal?)
                                6. Si quisiera recibir mas información, indique su dirección o dirección de correo, y pregunte: "Can you please mail or e-mail me more information on the Senator's position on this issue? (¿Me puede mandar mas información sobre la posición de mi Senador acerca de este tema?)

                                7. Repita este proceso con la oficina de su otro senador

                                GRACIAS POR APORTAR SU VOZ Y POR SU PARTICIPACION!

                                http://www.afsc.org/immigrants-rights/default.htm

                                Sept 6: National Call-in day to Tell Congress end the war in Iraq Now & No New war with Iran

                                Welcome Back Congress
                                National Call-In Day
                                End the U.S. War in Iraq; No New War with Iran!
                                Thursday, Sept. 6
                                Capitol Hill Switchboard: 202-224-3121

                                Join the nationwide effort of United for Peace and Justice member groups to flood the offices of our member of Congress with calls demanding an end to the U.S. war in Iraq and no new war with Iran.

                                Call your Representative and both Senators on Thursday, September 6th.

                                Tell them:

                                I want you to act now to end the war and occupation of Iraq and to prevent a war with Iran.
                                The Congress has the Constitutional right and a moral responsibility to use the power of the purse to withdraw all U.S. soldiers and contractors from Iraq on a rapid and binding schedule. Now is the time to use that power!

                                Congress must act to prevent a catastrophic war with Iran - Stop Threatening, Start Talking. I want you to speak out against the Administration's deliberate provocation of Iran and encourage a commitment to diplomatic efforts with Iran. Congress must enact legislation prohibiting the use of funds for military action against Iran.

                                Not sure who represents you in Congress? Look Here.

                                Background:

                                Iraq Spending:
                                In September and October Congress will focus on Iraq. They will vote on the President's request for and additional $200 billion to continue the war. Congress is not required to give Bush any of this money, or even to bring the request to a vote. Congress can also put restrictions, firm withdrawal timelines and other conditions on any funding in order to force an end to the U.S. occupation of Iraq.

                                Iran: (thanks to the National Iranian American Council for this background - minor edits have been made by UFPJ)
                                On August 28, President Bush announced that he has authorized U..S forces in Iraq to confront Iran militarily: "I have authorized our military commanders in Iraq to confront Tehran's murderous activities." Simultaneously, U.S. forces raided a hotel in Baghdad and detained ten Iranians who were part of a delegation that had been invited to Iraq to help with reconstruction.

                                The harshness and frequency of the rhetoric has steadily increased. Last week the Bush administration announced its intention to designate the IRGC as a terrorist entity, an unprecedented move. The President has reiterated accusations that Iran was smuggling weapons into Iraq while chastising the Iraqi Prime Minister for his diplomatic relations with Iran. Left unchallenged, all these steps point in one, undeniable direction: War.

                                The recent moves follow a familiar pattern. In January 2007, the President accused Iran of supplying IED's to Iraqi insurgents, signaling his intention to use military force to attack Iran. Simultaneously, U.S . forces detained five Iranians at an Iranian consulate in the Iraqi city of Irbil. Congress successfully averted crisis through swift and strong reactions to the escalated rhetoric. Congress took immediate action by challenging the President to provide evidence for the claims. Now, as the White House is once again escalating tensions, Congress must act to prevent war from occurring.

                                http://unitedforpeace.org/index.php

                                Sunday Sept 9: Sixth Annual Hope Out Loud Peace & Music Festival

                                HOPE OUT LOUD 6
                                SUNDAY. SEPTEMBER 9TH
                                Noon-5 pm . FREE
                                BUSHNELL PARK, HARTFORD

                                Featuring Fuego del Corazon, Mira with Mind Evolution,
                                Dawn Terese, Just Harmony, Hap Hazard, and more.
                                Plus speakers, poetry, kids activities. Spend the afternoon.
                                Bring a picnic. It's a concert,rally,playground,remembrance, a day of inspiration for renewal and commitment.

                                Hope Out Loud is a sober event.

                                It began as a response to 9/11: a shared call for peaceful, sustainable resolution of conflict in our towns and in our world through equity and social justice.

                                On September 9th we all gotta Hope Out Loud for a peaceful world!

                                For more information call 860.523.4823 or visit www.hopeoutloud.org

                                Sponsored by: The Connecticut Coalition for Peace & Justice (CCPJ), The American Friends Service Committee (AFSC), LaPaloma Sabanera Coffee House, Pax Educare, CT Network of Spiritual Progressives, CT Network to Abolish the Death Penalty, Supported in part by the Greater Hartford Arts Council, and the City of Hartford,

                                www.hopeoutloud.org

                                American Friends Service Committee
                                Connecticut Area Office
                                56 Arbor Street, Suite 213
                                Hartford, CT 06106
                                Phone: 860.523.1534
                                Fax: 860.523.1705
                                Email: connecticut at afsc.org  Visit AFSC CT Online

       Unsubscribe | Update Profile | Confirm | Forward