{news} Fw: USGP-INT Global Greens 2008

Justine McCabe justinemccabe at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 10 13:57:06 EDT 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Marnie Glickman" <marnie at greens.org>
To: "USGP Committee" <usgp-int at gp-us.org>
Sent: Monday, September 10, 2007 12:55 PM
Subject: USGP-INT Global Greens 2008

Save the date!  The next Global Greens conference will be in Brazil
on May 1-4, 2008.

Marnie Glickman

***

Sao Paulo, Brazil, 4th September 2007.

Dear Friends

GLOBAL GREENS 2008

Humanity is at a crossroads. We must act quickly to confront the
global climate crisis that threatens our entire planet.

While people around the world are willing to change their ways of
living and consuming, major changes in public policy are also
necessary to avoid catastrophe – from our energy policy, industrial
processes and the use of technology, to the rules of commerce and
international law. That’s where the Green Party comes in.

It is from this perspective that we invite you to take part in the
most exhilarating, challenging and inspiring meeting of the decade:
Global Greens 2008 in Brazil! The focus will be the political,
social, economical and ecological aspects of the climate crisis, so
that the Greens globally can play a leading role in helping make our
planet healthy and safe – for Humanity and all of Nature.

The Greens constitute a global, social-political movement without
precedent.  During Global Greens 2001, in Canberra, Australia, we
formed a Global Greens Network and Coordination, based upon our
Global Greens Charter. With over three decades of experience serving
in local, state and national governments on six continents, we
recognize that to achieve our goals, we must think and act globally
and locally.

Global Greens 2008 will offer the opportunity to meet Greens from
around the world, who share similar goals and ideals, and to learn
specifically about the spirit and diversity of Latin America. Our
main objective will be to establish a joint Green climate crisis
action plan for the next decade, on which Green parties and movements
around the world can work cooperatively, showing the way for
governments and communities alike. Your participation will be crucial
in producing an effective, achievable plan.

Brazil was chosen because it has a key role to play in what will
happen to the planet over the next few decades. The conference will
be held in São Paulo, at the Memorial da America Latina.  The most
populous Latin American city, with more than 18 million inhabitants,
São Paulo presents all the problems and ingenious solutions of a mega-
city side-by-side. Greens are elected there, and overall have
hundreds of elected representatives overall in city, state and
national governments across the nation.

Preparations for the conference are progressing well.  The Global
Steering Group met in Nairobi, Kenya, in November 2006, and, since
then, has held monthly phone conferences. A Brazil-based organizing
committee has also been established, led by Marco Antonio Mroz, and
has an office in Sao Paulo, with Sergio Dialetachi in charge.  A
conference web page has also been created and is running
(www.globalgreens.org.br).

To make our meeting in Brazil a success, the message must reach every
Green.  To help make this happen, please make sure all your
affiliated members and supporters are duly informed.

Global Greens 2008 will be a springboard for Green politics around
the world, positioning us to act effectively on the climate crisis.

In addition to being a center of Green politics, Global Greens 2008
will be a wonderful festival of friendship, fun and optimism.  We
hope to see you here!

With our best Green wishes,
Jose Luiz Penna
President of the Brazilian Green Party

Julia Willebrand, Jorge Gonzalez Torres and Marco Antonio Mroz
Co-Chair of the Federation of Green parties of the Americas

Details for your calendar:
Global Greens 2008
When:  1 - 4 May 2008
Where:            Auditorio Simon Bolivar
Memorial da America Latina
Sao Paulo, Brazil
More information: www.globalgreens.org.br or
contact at globalgreens.org.br