{news} online magazine?

Clifford Thornton efficacy at msn.com
Thu Sep 13 23:40:00 EDT 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: Jason West<mailto:wildfire00 at gmail.com>

Sent: Thursday, September 13, 2007 11:17 PM
Subject: online magazine?

Folks --

I'm sending this out after deleting several dozen green emails
irrelevant to real organizing.

I'd like to have an online magzine or blog of some sort for both
myself and the general public to have a steady source of analysis,
insight and news about the green party, from a perspective I share.
While i generally dislike writing, I would be willing to set up a
site and give certain Greens carte blanche access to write what they
choose.  The only editorial control I would exert would be the choice
as to who would be able to post articles.  Those I've sent this to
share my broad vision as to both how change happens, what is needed
and some level of frustration with the choices the Green Party has
made.  There are a few people -- such as Kevin Zeese and Austin King
-- for whom I don't have a current email address and I would be open
to other suggestions.

I'm writing this to see if there is enough -- if any -- interest
among you to write for such a website.  I would hope for postings
about political issues and analysis, strategy and tactics for the
Green Party, discussion of internal party debates, etc.  Essentially,
a website to serve the functions of both a theoretical journal, a
practical on-the-ground how to organize forum and an analysis of
current events from a party perspective such as the old sectarian
marxist parties still produce on a weekly basis.  I'd love to be able
to read a Green publication with the fire and passion of the
"Revolutionary Worker" without the clinging to failed dogmatism, for
instance.

So that's my offer -- if enough of you think it's worthwhile, are
willing to write your thoughts about politics, agree with the rough
idea of the site, I'd be willing to design it and put it up, and
contribute a bit myself.

With Peter's permission, i'd like to name it "Northstar", after the
guiding light of the abolitionists, and am open to other, or better
ideas as to name, contributors or format.

I'd also ask that you not forward this around -- if it gets off the
ground, I'd like to keep it to ourselves for now, just in case it
doesn't fly.

Jason West
New Paltz, NY