{news} Burbank files suit over debate snub

David Bedell dbedellgreen at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 12 16:05:29 EDT 2008

>From the Torrington Register-Citizen:

http://www.registercitizen.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=20160881

10/11/2008

Green Party candidate files suit over debate snub

By DAVID HUTTER

A Congressional candidate is preparing to file complaints with the Federal Communications Commission and the Internal Revenue Service, accusing four organizations of violating nonprofit laws involving equal access in politics.

Harold Burbank, a lawyer and Green Party candidate for the fifth congressional district, contends that the groups are censoring his campaign in violation of the law. A Canton resident, Burbank said he is going to lodge complaints against the Connecticut League of Women Voters, the National League of Women Voters, WNPR Radio of Hartford and The Litchfield Community Center.

"I am tired of being dismissed and diminished," Burbank said. "I am tired of hearing about Candidate A and Candidate B, but nothing about Candidate C and Candidate D. ... It's as though we don't exist. I think it's wrong and illegal," he said.

With about 700,000 residents, the fifth congressional district covers southern Torrington, northern Waterbury, Danbury and New Britain. The seat is being sought by Democratic incumbent Chris Murphy, Republican state Sen. David Cappiello, independent candidate Thomas Winn of Watertown and by Burbank. The League of Women Voters is planning to host a debate on Oct. 22 at the Litchfield Community Center. Only Murphy and Cappiello are invited to take part in that debate as of Friday.

Burbank blasted the League of Women Voters of Connecticut in particular, describing the organization as fraudulent because it invited him to take part in a debate and then later rescinded its decision. "The League of Woman's Voters are corporate hacks," Burbank said. "They're frauds. The Greens are justifiably frustrated. I have no compunction against calling them fraudulent."
Pat Donovan of The League of Women Voters of Connecticut defended the organization from Burbank's charges. She said that Burbank failed to meet the criteria in that he did not attract enough interest, does not have enough campaign phone lines, does not have an office outside his house and has not reached out to residents.
"He is not reaching out to people in the district," she said. "He is not a viable candidate. He is a non-starter."
Burbank scoffed at the notion that he has not introduced himself to people and the notion that any candidate should meet any criteria in order to participate in the debate. He said he introduced himself to more than 7,000 people and collected more than 4,800 signatures during a period of two months in order to appear on the ballot. Burbank criticized the league as playing political favorites, which weakens the communities of the district.
"This is a tremendous insult to the voters," he said. "The league is some kind of country club. It has disenfranchised itself from 4,800 of my supporters."
The Litchfield County League of Women Voters wrote a letter dated July 25 to Burbank in which it states that Cablevision and the league will be hosting a series of debates. In the letter, the league stated that it will host the U.S. House of Representatives debate for District 5 on Oct. 22 at the Litchfield Community Center. The letter is signed by Kathleen Kruse, voter service officer of the local chapter. Kruse was unable to be reached Friday.
The letter states in part: "Early in October, we will send you more details about the format. For now, we hope that you will reserve the time. ... We look forward to working with you to present your views to the constituents."
Donovan wrote a letter dated Sept. 16 to Burbank in which she explained the league is not allowing him to take part in its debate on Oct. 22. In the letter, she advised him to take advantage of the On-Line Voters Guide. Donovan stated in part: "The League has the utmost respect for candidates who devote time, money and energy toward running for office. We regret that we cannot give each and every one a chance to make their case to the public in a live debate format."
John Dankosky, the news director of WNPR Radio in Hartford, said that he has offered Burbank the opportunity to be interviewed on the show "Where We Live." Dankosky said he is unable to speak further about the matter, since Burbank has not yet filed the complaints.
Berta Andrulis, director of the Litchfield Community Center, said that the community center is obeying the laws and is merely renting its space to the League of Women Voters.
"We are quite honestly not in violation," she said.
Central Connecticut State University in New Britain cancelled a debate of the Fifth Congressional District candidates scheduled for today and sponsored by the League of Women Voters, because neither Burbank nor Winn were invited.
David Hutter can be reached by e-mail at dhutter@ registercitizen.com.

©The Register Citizen 2008