{news} Candidates pledge-- Standing For Voters

Tim McKee timmckee at mail.com
Mon Oct 20 10:54:42 EDT 2008

----- Original Message -----

From: "Brent McMillan"
To: "national comm affairs"
Subject: [usgp-dx] Standing For Voters
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2008 16:58:53 -0400

Dear NC member:

On Friday we were contacted by Emily Levy, the project coordinator
of Standing for Voters. They are asking candidates -- regardless of
party affiliation or which public office they seek -- to take a
pledge to stand up for election integrity.

The pledge < http://standingforvoters.org/sign_pledge.html> reads:
"I, _________________, pledge to use my candidacy, whenever
feasible, to advance the preservation of democracy. I will
officially challenge the results of the election as provided by law
if the combination of election conditions, incident reports, and
announced election results calls into question the reliability of
the official vote count. Should another candidate be declared the
winner in my race, I will wait until all valid votes are counted
and all serious challenges resolved before conceding defeat."

Green Party candidates who have signed on so far are Cynthia
McKinney, the first presidential candidate to take the pledge,
Rebecca DeWitt (candidate for Congress in AZ), and Rick Lass
(candidate for Public Regulation Commissioner in NM). All three
have chosen to take the Super Pledge, the stronger of the two
pledges they offer.

They would like to see many more Green party candidates on board,
and are hoping that we can help them with this.

They would like to see the Green Party take these two actions:
--Endorse StandingForVoters.org (see their current list of
organizational endorsements
--Contact all Green Party candidates nationally and extend to them
our invitation to take the Standing For Voters Pledge.

Candidates who take the pledge provide Standing For Voters with
direct contact information so that they can alert them should they
learn of irregularities in their race. They get a lot of
information that is not available in the media through Velvet
Revolution's voter fraud tip hotline for whistleblowers, through
co-founder Brad Friedman's election integrity blog, The BRAD BLOG <
http://www.bradblog.com/>, and through their relationships with
leaders in the election integrity community nationally.

Candidates who take the Standing For Voters pledge are listed on
their site and given a Standing For Voters emblem for their
websites, printed materials, etc.

They feel that taking a stand for election integrity such as David
Cobb did in Ohio after the 2004 election is an important way that
candidates in small parties can use their candidacies for lasting
social change. They hope we will be able to help them get the word
out about Standing For Voters to Green Party candidates throughout
the country.

Emily Levy
(831) 429-8946
Project Coordinator
http://www.StandingForVoters.org
a project of http://www.VelvetRevolution.us

In service:

Brent McMillan, Political Director
Green Party of the United States
202-319-7191
brent at gp.org

To send a message to the list, write to:
Natlcomaffairs at green.gpus.org
To unsubscribe or change your list options, go to:

You must know your password to do this.

If you can't figure out how to
unsubscribe, as a last resort only,
send a message OFF LIST to
steveh at olypen.com

If your state delegation changes, please see:
http://gp.org/committees/nc/documents/delegate_change.html

To report violations of listserv protocol, write to
forummanagers at lists.gp-us.org

For other information about the National Committee, see:
http://gp.org/committees/nc/

Tim McKee, Manchester CT, main number cell-860-778-1304, 860-643-2282
 National Commitee member of the Green Party of the United States and is a spokesperson for the Green Party of CT.
BLOG-http://thebiggreenpicture.blogspot.com

--
See Exclusive Video: Hollywood Life's 5th Annual Style Awards
http://www.hollywoodlife.net/Awards.aspx?AwardsID=style2008