{news} FW: Taking the Standing For Voters Pledge

Charlie Pillsbury chapillsbury at igc.org
Mon Oct 20 17:51:44 EDT 2008

Fyi, Charlie

-----Original Message-----
From: Brent McMillan [mailto:brent at gp.org]
Sent: Monday, October 20, 2008 4:39 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: Taking the Standing For Voters Pledge

Dear Green Party Candidate:

On Friday, October 17 the national office was contacted by Emily Levy,

the project coordinator of Standing for Voters. They are asking

candidates -- regardless of party affiliation or which public office

they seek -- to take a pledge to stand up for election integrity.

The pledge < http://standingforvoters.org/sign_pledge.html> reads:

"I, _________________, pledge to use my candidacy, whenever feasible, to

advance the preservation of democracy. I will officially challenge the

results of the election as provided by law if the combination of

election conditions, incident reports, and announced election results

calls into question the reliability of the official vote count. Should

another candidate be declared the winner in my race, I will wait until

all valid votes are counted and all serious challenges resolved before

conceding defeat."

Green Party candidates who have signed on so far are Cynthia McKinney,

the first presidential candidate to take the pledge, Rebecca DeWitt

(candidate for Congress in AZ), and Rick Lass (candidate for Public

Regulation Commissioner in NM). All three have chosen to take the Super

Pledge, the stronger of the two pledges they offer. (Since Friday Dan

Kairis, Green Party candidate for State Representative in IL has also

signed on.)

They would like to see many more Green party candidates on board, and

are hoping that we can help them with this.

They would like to see the Green Party take these two actions:

--Endorse StandingForVoters.org (see their current list of

organizational endorsements <http://standingforvoters.org/aboutus.html)

--Contact all Green Party candidates nationally and extend to them our

invitation to take the Standing For Voters Pledge.

At the Green Party of the United States Steering Committee Conference

call last night (Sunday, Oct. 19) they voted to endorse. Therefore the

Green Party of the United States is now listed as an organizational

endorser.

Candidates who take the pledge provide Standing For Voters with direct

contact information so that they can alert them should they learn of

irregularities in their race. They get a lot of information that is not

available in the media through Velvet Revolution's voter fraud tip

hotline for whistleblowers, through co-founder Brad Friedman's election

integrity blog, The BRAD BLOG < http://www.bradblog.com/>, and through

their relationships with leaders in the election integrity community

nationally.

Candidates who take the Standing For Voters pledge are listed on their

site and given a Standing For Voters emblem for their websites, printed

materials, etc.

They feel that taking a stand for election integrity such as David Cobb

did in Ohio after the 2004 election is an important way that candidates

in small parties can use their candidacies for lasting social change.

They hope we will be able to help them get the word out about Standing

For Voters to Green Party candidates throughout the country.

The contact information for Standing For Voters:

Emily Levy

(831) 429-8946

Project Coordinator

http://www.StandingForVoters.org

a project of http://www.VelvetRevolution.us

They are planning to do a press release about the involvement of the

Green Party in this project in a couple of days. They will be listing

those candidates who have signed the pledge in the press release. Emily

Levy is working with our Media Director, Scott McLarty on this matter.

Please give this your prompt attention and consideration.

In service:

Brent McMillan, Political Director

Green Party of the United States

202-319-7191