{news} Reply to Amy Vas Nunes' claim that "Dodd... has no real opposition and will easily be reelected"

James Lavin james at jameslavin.com
Tue Apr 14 17:56:44 EDT 2009

Amy Vas Nunes replied to my post that "I THINK DODD HAS DONE SOME GOOD
THINGS  ALSO BAD AND HAS NO REAL OPPOSITION AND WILL EASILY BE RELECTED.
I THINK ITS A WASTE OF ENERGY AND ANY SMALL MONEY WE HAVE. WE REALLY
NEED TO TARGET LIEBERMAN INSTEAD, AMY"

Thank you for responding, Amy. I agree the Green Party must use its
money and energy strategically, but the 2010 Senate race is a HUGE
opportunity for the Greens.

Lieberman must go, but he will face very serious opposition (if he even
bothers to run a hopeless campaign). Joe can't win the Democratic Party
nomination, and he will lose the general election to a strong Democrat,
perhaps the now well-known and seasoned Ned Lamont.

The Green Party has a unique opportunity to compete for a U.S. Senate
seat in 2010 because:

1) Dodd is crippled... not wounded, but crippled (see polling data
below) because he's taken tens of millions from financial corporations
and then helped them destroy our economy and suck up TRILLIONS in
taxpayer bailouts. Dodd was at the center of the financial storm. He
also inserted language that allowed bankrupt banks to keep paying fat
bonuses and then lied about having done so. And "He didn't know he was
getting special treatment from Countrywide. Then admitted he did know."
(www.courant.com/news/opinion/editorials/hc-rennie-dodd-election-stumble.artapr12,0,1823683.column).
I could list many other huge problems, including Dodd being the author
of HAVA (www.truevotect.org/resources/Dodd_mtg_2005.03.17.pdf;
http://www.bradblog.com/?p=4073), which spread unauditable blackbox
electronic voting machines nationwide; and,

2) The "obvious" beneficiary of Dodd's demise is the Republican Party...
but it itself is currently crippled. Republicans pushed harder for the
de-regulation that killed our economy than anyone. CT residents today
don't want to send a Republican to DC.

So the people of CT will REALLY be open-minded about third-party options
in 2010. Given voter disgust with both Republicans and Dodd, the door's
wide open for the Green Party.  It's truly a unique opportunity because
voters are sick of corruption and sweetheart deals and Republican bull.

According to
www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2009/04/the_most_vulnerable_senator_up.html:

"A March 26-28 Quinnipiac University poll of registered voters showed
Dodd with a 30 percent favorable/58 percent unfavorable rating and his
job approval at 33 percent approve/58 percent disapprove. Four in 10
Democrats disapproved of his job performance.

More troubling, he was 16 points behind Republican opponent Rob Simmons,
a well-regarded former Member from eastern Connecticut who was
overwhelmed in the Democratic wave of 2006. Dodd was losing independents
by more than 2-1, and Simmons was winning more than 1 in 4 Democrats.

The poll also showed Dodd trailing Waterbury state Sen. Sam Caligiuri,
who recently entered the race, and former Ambassador to Ireland Tom
Foley, who is considering his options. Caligiuri held a 4-point lead
over Dodd even though 88 percent of those responding hadn't heard enough
about the state lawmaker to have an opinion of him."

--James Lavin