{news} Justice of the Peace

David Bedell dbedellgreen at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 28 01:30:26 EST 2009

Congratulations to all our new Green Justices of the Peace, sworn in this month for 4-year terms:

Hector Lopez, New Canaan
Judy Peluso, New Haven
Ron Suresha, New London
Leif Smith, Redding
Matt Loter, Stamford
Laurel Freeman, Windham
Phoebe Godfrey, Windham (Windham now has FOUR Green JPs!)

And a special congratulations to Ken Cornet and Joe Mustich, Green JPs who celebrated their own wedding on November 12, the first day it became legal in Connecticut!

I've posted a full list at http://www.ctgreens.org/elected.shtml with links: some JPs have created their own webpages, some are listed on their town websites, and most are listed in the directories of the Justice of the Peace Association (http://www.findajp.com ) or Love Makes a Family (http://www.lmfct.org/site/PageServer?pagename=clergy_civilunion )

If you would like to become a JP, or if you are a JP and would like to advertise your services more widely, I'd be glad to help.  Commonly used powers of the Justices of the Peace include:
  a.. Administration of General Oaths
  b.. Authority to take the acknowledgement in the conveyance of real estate
  c.. Acknowledgement of primary and nomination petitions
  d.. Issuance of a subpoena in a civil action or probate proceeding
  e.. Performance of marriages
  f.. Performance of Civil Unions

David Bedell