[om-announce] new live "demo" site, other forgotten announcements

OneModel announcements om-announce at onemodel.org
Thu Apr 21 21:02:36 EDT 2016

I recently announced OneModel version 0.1.2, but forgot to mention a few
other things, plus new developments:

1) There have been major updates to the web site, including a new look
and navigation bar, and some simplification of the windows installation
instructions.  Also under the FAQs there is now some discussion of why
to use OM vs., say, emacs org-mode or evernote.
http://onemodel.org

2) There is a live demo so you can try OM without installing postgres or
java, or downloading the .jar.  The web site has details.  If anyone
tries any of this and has problems or has suggestions as to what is
*most* important to be useful to the early audience, let me know.  (I
see that early audience as list nerds who touch type, like speed (and
don't need mobile--cough), and need to be able to put the same
information in more than one place in their notes.  Or anyone who wants
to help move the big picture forward.)

3) I am now offering hosted OM installation.  So if someone wants to run
OM they don't have to set up postgres.  Let me know if there is any
interest.

4) 0.1.3 will have, and current source in github now has, the ability to
compile OM without having to compile a custom jline2 library first (the
author incorporated my changes! yay!  jline2 is something like gnu
readline, only for java).

5) I might post about OM on Hacker News for more feedback
(https://news.ycombinator.com , under "Apply" or "Show"), tomorrow.
Feel free to comment there also!

Feedback or discussion welcome.  If anyone is actually using OM, I'd
love to hear what for, and any suggestions.  Especially if you are up
for discussion on next priorities and design.

-Luke