[TDA_wg] Outline of discussion at Hotwired IV

Andy Howell ahowell at lcogt.net
Mon May 18 19:39:27 EDT 2015

   1.

  Folks,
Upon request, here is the outline I presented during a discussion at the
Hotwired meeting about what will be needed in the future to share
information about transients.  The consensus was that the community should
write a white paper to outline what they need.  I am happy to start
bringing together such a draft.  Perhaps this will get the discussion
started.
-Andy

----------------

   1.

   1)  Naming schemes (current IAU SN naming system has these undesirable
   issues: SNe start with a PSN name, then transition to other names, may SNe
   go unnamed, and many groups give the same event different names).
    1.

      A)  Name server? (i. e. there is a new transient at location X,
      returns name if one exists, assigns new one of not).
       2.

      B)  Specific to event subtypes? (i.e. are separate naming conventions
      for GRBs / SNe / Novae, etc, a historical accident, or should
they just all
      be 15abc as many surveys have done)
        2.

   2)  Communicating discoveries
    1.

      A)  IAU
       2.

      B)  ATEL
       3.

      C)  Web pages
        3.

   3)  Sharing information in real time
    1.

      A)  Scheduling resources e.g. I’m going to observer this tonight.
       2.

      B)  Here’s the redshift, type, and spectrum.
       3.

      C)  Here are the light curve points in all wavelengths
       4.

      D)  Social media type interactions
        4.

   4)  Iterating the above (e.g.. based on latest LC point and redshift,
   this object is likely...)
    5.

   5)  Automated telescope triggering
    6.

   6)  Archiving data / querying databases
   7.

   8.

   Questions:

   - What types of events can work under the same system?  Supernovae,
   GRBs, microlensing, planets, variable stars, flares, etc.

   - Do we adapt existing infrastructure?  Build something new?

   - Where does the money come from?

   - Do we need the IAU?

   - Does it need to scale to LSST?