[Thali-talk] Yaron's Weekly Update - 12/15/2014

Yaron Goland yarong at microsoft.com
Tue Dec 16 12:01:42 EST 2014

Last Week

*        TL;DR - Am now a PouchDB project owner<https://github.com/orgs/pouchdb/people>, fixed PouchDB so it will now build/test on Windows<https://github.com/pouchdb/pouchdb/pull/3152> (no more developing in Linux!!!) and thanks to Dale Hervey got my perf tests<https://github.com/pouchdb/pouchdb/pull/3159> and perf speed up<https://github.com/pouchdb/pouchdb/pull/3174> integrated into PouchdB!

*        Monday - Spent 3 hours on email and status, not good. Needed to clean up my perf tests and use bulk update correctly (I was uploading docs 1 by 1). Wasted over an hour on an uninitialized variable error (I hate Javascript). Found out my perf tests won't run in the browser (only node.js) so I had to clean things up to fix that, activate CORs, etc. I disabled the latency proxy since it won't run in the browser. But now my perf tests do run in the browser!

*        Tuesday - Ran some perf tests so I have a baseline to decide if there was a point in adding a latency simulator in the browser. Wrote a XML HTTP Request based latency simulator to slow things down realistically in the browser. All tests are passing so I submitted a PR.

*        Wednesday - I'm really sick and tired of developing PouchDB in Linux so I spent the day fixing all the things that stop build/tests from running in Windows and was successful!

*        Thursday - Before I submitted the PR I wanted to run a test in IE where everything failed! This turns out to be an obscure security behavior in IE that it doesn't accept CORs on localhost if localhost isn't in the trusted domain. That took me a good hour or two to figure out. Dale from PouchDB asked me to remove the latency code to make the perf PR simpler so I did that. Unfortunately Travis was having an awful day so my tests were failing for random reasons.

*        Friday - Spent some time talking to a potential customer. Dale wanted some more changes in the perf submission and even did his own fork to show me what he wanted. So I merged that into my latest code. I had to do rebasing to get the Windows PR working right. But in the end everything worked!

Next Week

*        Bunch of calls with potential customers for our project.

*        Finally run an analysis on the NPM database to figure out how much native Node.js add-ons matter

*        Get some kind of Node.js based connection retry logic into PouchDB

*        Fix the proxy not honored bug in PouchDB

*        Start working on getting us an Android story