[Thali-talk] Yaron's Weekly Update - 10/7/2014

Yaron Goland yarong at microsoft.com
Tue Oct 7 23:32:52 EDT 2014

Last Week:

  *   TL;DR - Put our Java code to bed and started to deep dive into Node land.
  *   Monday - Played a bit more with PouchDB but I spent most of my day dealing with another threading error in Couchbase that would hurt Thali.
  *   Tuesday - Spent more time fixing thread unsafe behavior in Couchbase, spent a good chunk of the day on what was apparently a known bug in Couchbase's tests because they submitted a checkin to fix it. I then ran into another Couchbase test that was failing in an odd way.
  *   Wednesday - Investigating the odd failing Couchbase test from yesterday. Turns out it depends on having Sync Gateway which I don't have configured. This is a new test and I had turned off the other Sync Gateway tests. But this test had a bug in it that let part of it succeed even though there was no Sync Gateway which is why it took me a while to figure out what was going on. I had to go to Redmond to interview a candidate and then talk to some folks. Came back to another test failing, but this time in our code. There seems to be a problem with deleting databases. There are known problems in Couchbase's handling of file locks on Windows that they have put into icebox and they seem to be getting worse. But I need to put Java to bed, so I can't afford to investigate right now. I finally got our tests passing but not by fixing Couchbase and then nailed all Couchbase's tests but one that passes on Android but not Java. I decided not to worry about it, submitted my PR to Couchbase and put the Thali Java code to bed while I go off and jump into Node land.
  *   Thursday - Worked with Jon to get him spun up on some HTML investigatory work we need for the new Javascript uber alles approach. Traun pointed out that I forgot to also rebase my Android PR which I fixed. Spent the bulk of the day reading Node docs.
  *   Friday - Traun found a few minor issues with my PRs that are a result of the dirty way in which I'm forced to move code from my custom fork to the public fork. Fixed those. Spent the rest of the day reading node related stuff.

This Week:

  *   Keep studying Node
  *   Study up on TypeScript and CoffeeScript
  *   Maybe get to start writing a very simple Thali server in Node we can use as a real world use case for testing how easy/hard it is to use Node on Windows, Android, etc.