[Thali-talk] Yaron's Weekly Update - 10/13/2014

Yaron Goland yarong at microsoft.com
Mon Oct 13 14:34:49 EDT 2014

Last Week:

  *   TL;DR - By following instructions (e.g. no real work on my part =) I got Node's REPL running on Android!
  *   Monday - OOF
  *   Tuesday - Finished Node research and started to pick libraries to build mini Thali Server.
  *   Wednesday - Spent a bunch of time researching crypto solutions<https://github.com/thaliproject/thali/wiki/Investigating-Javascript-TDH> on Node. Decided to pick an OpenSSL wrapper. Then researched testing solutions and picked mocha with chai. Ran into a weird bug with chai-as-promised.
  *   Thursday - The weird error actually turned out to be that Node doesn't ship with OpenSSL so when I called out to OpenSSL that call was failing. But the Javascript error was so obscure it took me a while to realize that was what was happening. But my goal in dealing with crypto was just to have something that required node-gyp so I could test out running on different platforms. I realized that just using PouchDB requires LevelDB which requires node-gyp so I'm putting aside the crypto stuff for a second.
     *   Got Node to build on Windows. That 'just worked'.
     *   Got Node to build for Android. This required a tiny bit of effort since Node isn't compatible with the latest Android NDK but the fixes are really, really, easy. I now have node's REPL running on Android!
  *   Friday - OOF

This Week:

  *   Get a vanilla Node app (no node-gyp) running on Android
  *   Get Express-PouchDB (e.g. now bringing in node-gyp) running on Android
  *   Sniff around Win RT and iOS Node support