[Thali-talk] QR codes

Michael Rogers michael at briarproject.org
Fri Apr 3 14:39:52 EDT 2015

On 02/04/15 18:14, Yaron Goland wrote:
> Samsung - When I brought the QR-Code app up the camera was still
> black. But I then exited the QR-Code app and used the camera app for
> a second and switched back to the QR-Code app and it worked!
>
> Nexus - Previously the camera worked as soon as I opened the QR-Code
> app. But after updating the camera now comes up black. But when I
> tried the same trick as above it worked.

Thanks for letting me know about this. If it still happens with the
latest version, could you possibly send me the logcat output?

> In experimenting with scanning the codes the experience was
> noticeably more fiddly than yesterday. With the Samsung in particular
> I had to hold the camera steady and get it to focus right before it
> successfully scanned the code.

Sorry, I was messing around with auto-focus - it should be less fiddly
now (though still far from perfect, especially on phones without macro
focus).

> The experience wasn't horrible but it wasn't great either. It really
> requires the user to understand what is going on, to move their
> phones around a lot, etc. Personally, my opinion (which is worth
> exactly what you paid for it) is that this is just too hard an
> experience. But that's an opinion, not a fact.

Your opinion would be a bargain at twice the price. ;-)

I agree that the experience is still too fiddly and unreliable for
production use. The only thing I'd say in its favour is that it's less
bad than the other methods I've tried. If you write a proof-of-concept
for a better method then I'll steal it without a moment's hesitation.

Cheers,
Michael