[Thali-talk] Thali daily status - 8/10/2015

Yaron Goland yarong at microsoft.com
Tue Aug 11 11:51:03 EDT 2015

Matt - He spent yesterday trying to figure out why we handled failed Bluetooth connections really badly. This pre-empted his work on checking in the Mux work. He had a conflict on today's status call so I don't know his status today but I suspect he is still working on this bug. We need to figure out if the problem is at the native layer or the node.js layer.

Srikanth - He did a ton of test work yesterday and submitted a bunch of updates on those tests. He has a tiny bit more of test work to do and then he'll be done. At that point he will go through code review and start working on the small UX changes needed for story 0.0.

Yaron - Figured out what was killing Mike's test. Did a ton of email. Finished an article explaining what we need to do with OpenSSL and Node.js to make Thali work, you can see it at http://thaliproject.org/opensslandthali. Tested out 7 different Android based Wi-Fi Direct apps. All the top rated ones use peer discovery, not service discovery. I found one app that used service discovery and it didn't work terribly well. I also wrote a sample project that does simple Wi-Fi Direct service discovery and it doesn't work very well either. Today I'll add UPnP support to the Wi-Fi Direct service discovery (instead of mDNS) just to see if that makes a difference. I will also test against two more devices. But my guess is that Service Discovery is just broken. We can work with peer discovery (which works well everywhere) but it's more complicated and less battery efficient. But my next focus will actually be on implementing a simple test BLE app to see how that behaves.

David - He is still working with Polymer. Over all he is happy with it but he said the magic quotient on it is pretty high and as he does non-trivial things that has proven somewhat challenging. But he still believes he will have the new version of the postcard app ready this week.

Luke - He still has about 1/2 a day of work to do on his old project and then he really should be done. At that point he will set up PouchDB and CouchDB server to server replication and get it working through Fiddler.

Jukka - He did a bunch of cleanup on his code to clean up how he was passing in arguments to JXCore and making things more thread safe. He will now go to work on BLE.

Sreejumon - Yesterday he tested and generally got logging working. Today he is going to handle the merge between story 0 and story 00 branches and then will merge in the logging work so that everyone can start logging in a consistent way.

Oguz - He is working on the GitHub web hooks to integrate the new test environment with GitHub so we can do continuous integration on our PRs from GitHub.