[Thali-talk] We have shipped Story -1 on iOS!

Yaron Goland yarong at microsoft.com
Thu Jul 23 18:01:28 EDT 2015

With enormous thanks to Toby and David, we just shipped Story -1 on iOS!!!!!

But the biggest thanks by far for Story -1 goes to Brian Lambert. He did the majority of the work including the fundamental research that went into figuring out the BLE layer. Brian has left the Thali team to go lead his own team. But he is still around and still helping us out from time to time. So I really wanted to make sure to say thanks because there would be no Thali on iOS without him. You can find out more about Brian's contributions by checking out his entry on the Thali Alumni Page<http://thaliproject.org/alumni>.

What Story -1 on iOS means is that we have implemented:

*        BLE for discovery

*        Multi-Peer Connectivity Framework for high bandwidth connectivity

*        TCP/IP server and client relays at the native layer to bridge between the multi-peer connectivity framework connections and Node.js

*        JXCore running Node.js on the iOS device

*        Javascript code using the JXCore native interface to talk to the native code to get discovery information and request connections

*        Cordova wrapping the whole thing up including a fully functioning WebView

So there is a big thick stack of stuff and it all is working!

If you want to try it out yourself go get a Mac, two iOS devices and head over to https://github.com/thaliproject/Thali_CordovaPlugin/tree/story-1-dadougla

The install directions are in the readme.

The demo works by first bringing two iOS devices up with the code. Then on both devices hit "Start Connector". This will cause the devices to discover each other. At that point hit, on both devices, "Connect to X" where X is the discovered device name. Make sure to hit connect on both devices! It's tempting not to because when you hit the button on the first device the second device will switch to showing the Messages dialog but there is still a connection going in only one direction. So you MUST hit the "Connect to X" on the second device to start a connection going the other way. Then you can type a message on either device and hit "Send Message" and it will be transferred over.

We will now start work on Story 0 for iOS. Keep in mind that the Story 0 work for iOS consists mostly of removing some code we don't need, cleaning up the TCP/IP Layer and then changing some of the native APIs a little to make them fit the naming and argument order we specify in our native API Doc that you can see here<https://github.com/thaliproject/Thali_CordovaPlugin/blob/6c74882f3e0f213686e0376099c09bb1f99e83a2/doc/api/connectivity.md>. So the truth is that the really hard work of bringing this all together is done. Now it's basically fit and finish to get Story 0 out.

As a side note we are function complete on Story 0 for Android. What we are now working on is finishing up the automatic install instructions for the Thali_CordovaPlugin and postcardapp as well as fleshing out the native test suite. I don't think finishing the test suite is a show blocker, we can continue that in story 0.0. But the installation is. So once installation is done then we'll declare Story 0 done for Android.

               Thanks!

                              Yaron