[Thali-talk] Making progress on iOS

Yaron Goland yarong at microsoft.com
Sun Jun 28 01:41:17 EDT 2015

Warning: This is on the public alias.

(David/Jukka, there is an important bit for you two at the end)

So we are actually in pretty good shape on iOS. We have the discovery code up and running and connected to node. We also have the code to enable creating multiple paired multi-peer connectivity framework connections to 'emulate' TCP/IP. What we are missing is the final link which creates TCP/IP endpoints and copies data to/from them to/from the multi-peer connectivity framework.

David, our newest team member, just joined and is rapidly coming up to speed but it still takes time with a code base as involved as ours. But this week he should hit the ground running with putting in the final link.

We haven't had a chance yet to try to run the postcard app on iOS. Sreejumon, who has taken responsibility for the app, isn't yet fully provisioned for iOS. But that will change soon. While we did run into a ton of issues getting Express-PouchDB running on Android most of those problems were actually more about small (and quickly fixed) divergences between JXCore's environment and standard Node.js. In other words, they mostly weren't about Android. Since the fixes JXCore made apply to all of their platforms this hopefully means we won't run into the same issues on iOS. But with anything as complex as Express-PouchDB + the full Node.js runtime we should expect issues to popup before we have everything running.

So the bottom line is that iOS is probably at least a week if not two weeks behind Android at the moment.

To help us get back to parity quickly I'd like to make a suggestion and get feedback on it from David and Jukka. I sent a previous mail suggesting that we should do an integration freeze and just leave the Android code "as is" until we have all of story 0 on Android integrated. I would suggest something similar for iOS.

Specifically, that for now we define the correct native API on iOS as being whatever Jukka has running on Android. If we do that then anytime David has a question about how something is supposed to work at the node.js layer he can ask Jukka (who is only two hours off on time zone) and get a definitive answer.

While there are some changes we would like to eventually make to the node.js/native interface layer I don't think any of them are important enough to slow things down. I think it would make a lot more sense right now just to get Android and iOS working the same and then any changes can be made to both at a future date.

So, David and Jukka, are you o.k. with just declaring Jukka's Android code as "the reference" and defining the iOS's "correct" behavior (at least at the Node.js layer) as "what the Android code does"?

Let me know if this is o.k.

               Thanks,

                                             Yaron