[Thali-talk] Yaron's Weekly Update - 5/4/2015

Yaron Goland yarong at microsoft.com
Mon May 4 14:21:43 EDT 2015

One Week Ago:

  *   TL;DR - Made a ton of progress on the BLE discovery proposal including a review with two folks from the Microsoft crypto board.
  *   Monday - Tons of calls with folks on the team to discuss various things. More work on tests for BLE discovery.
  *   Tuesday - Spent literally 1/2 the day in conversations with folks from the crypto board to figure out if my BLE proposal is 'sane'. It looks like it is! Then lots of email.
  *   Wednesday - Got ECIES working but the perf isn't good. Changed hash to SHA-256 and added in KDF support per Tuesday conversations.
  *   Thursday - Added in IVs to beacons per Tuesday conversation. Did a ton of clean up on the code. Working again on the spec. Realized that I shouldn't have used the NIST KDF and instead switched to HKDF.
  *   Friday - Bunch of long internal conversations with team members about their work. Started to write up a reference implementation of the BLE proposal since my current code was really just perf tests code.

Next Week:

  *   Finish BLE reference code and tests
  *   Finish BLE spec
  *   Start working on design for replication manager